Author Topic: Will iOS 9 solve Mackie's wired dilemma?  (Read 16161 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Will iOS 9 solve Mackie's wired dilemma?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
It's public so what's the problem? You didn't really sign a NDA  ;D
Sorta did actually. There's plenty of leakage available on web - we won't really know the final feature set until the release. That's still in 7 days AFAIK, I think we can all wait that long ;) .

EDIT>Woops, I think thats the Windows 10 release, not the iOS 9 - I'm soo confuzed x( :lol:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:18:37 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »
It's public so what's the problem? You didn't really sign a NDA  ;D
Sorta did actually. There's plenty of leakage available on web - we won't really know the final feature set until the release. That's still in 7 days AFAIK, I think we can all wait that long ;) .

EDIT>Woops, I think thats the Windows 10 release, not the iOS 9 - I'm soo confuzed x( :lol:
Earth to RR that iOS date is still unknown but their Beta went public. Star date 7/22/2015  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:52:02 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
Maybe iOS 9 will solve connectivity issues, but as with all major iOS updates, will the current version of MF and MYF integrate smoothly with the new version? That always seems to be the burning question with a major OS update, especially with the DL series. Will there have to be another patch update to MF/MYF? Or will MF 4 be released around, or just after iOS 9 drops?

In a perfect world, the current versions of MF/MYF should work just fine, but as with all tech, it’s not always a perfect world. I’m really hoping for the perfect scenario, but I must have put on my rose colored glasses once again.

I think/hope Mackie have or are already rising to the challenge of the compatibility of MF/MYF with the continuously changing iOS. Once again “Burning the midnight oil” with the Beta iOS. It must be daunting to try to keep up with Apple.

Fingers crossed for a successful transition!  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »
How about someone that has loaded iOS 9 beta look at setup to see if any hint of Ethernet setup exists. That would answer the OP question.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 03:47:06 AM »
How about someone that has loaded iOS 9 beta look at setup to see if any hint of Ethernet setup exists. That would answer the OP question.
All iPads have Ethernet already - via wireless. As I said they already have support for a wired adapter too - so what would you expect to see different?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
Really ? Wired if you must and once again Reliable you should know better. Where is the Apple Lightning or 30 pin to WIRED Ethernet connector?? Thunderbolt to wired Ethernet connection is available so I guess we have to wait for a Thunderbolt enabled iPad.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:11:05 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 05:02:55 AM »
Where is the Apple Lightning or 30 pin to WIRED Ethernet connector??
Is there such a thing? I did a quick search and couldn't find one.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
Where is the Apple Lightning or 30 pin to WIRED Ethernet connector??
Is there such a thing? I did a quick search and couldn't find one.
Apple has them for their own use -so far they've refused to sell any to the public. Some folks have cobbled one together out of a "Camera Connection Kit" (AKA iDevice to USB adapter) and a USB Ethernet adapter. If you search harder you should find the info...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
Here's a Lightning to UTP (unshielded twisted pair) Ethernet cable but it does require that the app using it have support for it compiled in...
http://redpark.com/lightning-ethernet-cable/
Mackie could easily support that for the D32R.

One of many "hack" tutorials:
http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethernet-cable-with-this-easy-hack/

Be aware that most of these are written by stoopid people that think that Ethernet is the UTP hardware and not what it really is - the communications protocol that can run over many different hardware links including wireless (RF and IR), coax, UTP, optical fiber, power line modulation, etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:10:20 PM by RoadRanger »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »
So when do you think that Mackie is going to send you the source code so you can link it with the RedPark SDK ? ;)
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »
So when do you think that Mackie is going to send you the source code so you can link it with the RedPark SDK ? ;)
They can just compile it in - they really need to do something if they aren't going to have a laptop app soon :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
Hence the reason for this thread.  :)
When in doubt KISS

cyclops

• Youngling
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »
There is a way to connect an iPad to a wired network.  It requires a bit of $$$, but the real, official parts are there.

First thing is the camera kit for the iPad.  This gives you a USB to lighting connector.  Next up... A powered USB hub.  Finally, the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter.  Connect the camera kit and the Ethernet adapter into the USB hub.  Then you can plug the Ethernet connection into you router... Voilà, wired iPad.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:51 AM »
There is a way to connect an iPad to a wired network.  It requires a bit of $$$, but the real, official parts are there.

First thing is the camera kit for the iPad.  This gives you a USB to lighting connector.  Next up... A powered USB hub.  Finally, the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter.  Connect the camera kit and the Ethernet adapter into the USB hub.  Then you can plug the Ethernet connection into you router... Voilà, wired iPad.
Have you actually tried it with a DL and Master Fader?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
It makes sense that it should work.  After all, it doesn't matter to the DL mixer how the router is connected to the ipad.  Only question is does it matter to the ipad how it's connected to the router?  Someone ought to do it, but I don't have the stuff and I don't think anyone should be buying that to just test it.