Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Routing Question

<< < (2/6) > >>

Wynnd:
Be reasonable.  Do it my way.  Actually, your approach seems convoluted to me. You're speakers aren't likely to have a perfectly flat response.  (Nearly none do.)  So the auto-EQ can fix that issue and that alone will help with feedback.  (Especially FOH problems.)  Before using it, do some reading on the potential problems.  I use my garage.  Open the door, place the speakers right at the edge facing out and I place the mic about 20' on a mic stand on my down sloping driveway.  There are very few places for acoustic reflections in that setting so it's nearly as good as an sound chamber.  (And for my purposes, just what I'm looking for.)  If you do this, you can get away without doing it anywhere else.  (No one like pink noise.)  Then just set the AFB system as normal.  I usually set 6 filters fixed and let the other 6 filters float.  That doesn't help when the singer decides to walk in front of the FOH speakers.

WK154:
Wynnd I bet your neighbors love you when you pull that test. :) Did I forget to mention that unless your gig is in the driveway it's totally useless for any other acoustic environment.

sam.spoons:
I tried using 'smaart' with pink noise on my old passive system and it produced a hugely convoluted graphic eq plot (ok it was done in my very small home studio). When I listened to music through it in the same environment it sounded absolutely sh1t. This leads me to the realisation that wihout the requisite knowledge tools like 'smaart' are as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.  ;D

Wynnd:
First of all, it's not a 50,000 watt system.  Secondly, just about all speakers have frequency response problems and a system that is truly flat will alway out perform one that isn't everywhere.  Sure, if I did the pink noise thing everywhere I would get a slightly better situation everywhere.  But I don't want to be chasing customers out the door before the gig.  I'll take the small advantage of a flat frequency response over a system that has never been flat any day.  I'm 62 and even with hearing aids couldn't possibly set up a system perfectly from just my hearing.   (Hell, I'd be betting that most 20 year olds couldn't do it from just hearing either.  Not saying they couldn't get something that works OK.) 

sam.spoons:
I don't disagree Wyn, your method is as good as any, just that I tried similar and it didn't work for me.

With a powered system the manufacturer has done the speaker optimisation (some better than others of course) and it should sound pretty good straight off. I'm happy that my new rig does. When I get to the venue I play some music (Dixie Chicks, "Ready To Run" and Skeleton Crew, "Rock And Roll Dreams" usually) over the system and use Dave Rat's method of comparing the sound over my cans with the sound coming from the FOH (that negates most 'tired ears' effects), this just to iron out any room effects. I don't usually 'ring out the room' but I rarely work with mega loud bands these days (like you I'm 62 and my ears are not what they were).

The best example of clever speaker DSP I've heard is the Bose L1 Compact. The eq plot must be all over the place with that stack of tiny speakers but the audio output is more natural sounding than anything else I've ever heard by a good margin too  :mrgreen:

When it all comes down to it there are a million and one 'correct' ways to set up a system if it works for you then it's right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version