Author Topic: Why I'm going DL32R...  (Read 4694 times)

jneau

• Youngling
Why I'm going DL32R...
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »
Thought I'd share why I'm making the move to the DL32R.

My current mixer-related equipment for our 4-piece band includes:
  • A Road Runner mixer hard case with:
    • Mackie 1604 VLZ 4
    • Furman PLC-8C
    • DriveRack PX
    • dbx 215s dual equalizer (for eq'ing the 2 monitors)
    • XLR patchbay
  • A Road Runner 6U hard rack with:
    • A Furman PLC-8C
    • 4 dbx 166xs dual compressors used for 4 vocal mics and 3 drum mics
    • Lexicon MX200, used mainly for reverb on vocals...but also the occasional cool effect
  • A Pro Co RoadMaster 16XLR x 8XLR 150' snake

It's been working great, but had some drawbacks:
  • Only really had 2 monitor sends.  One to me (guitar/vocals) and one to the primary singer (vocals).  The drummer's monitor was hooked to the send from the singer's.  That has presented a few issues, but we've been able to work around them...still, I'd like to be able to give the drummer a different mix.
  • We have reached the limits of a 16-channel mixer.  For the last gig, each of us had a mic (4), we had 3 mics on the drum kit (7), I split my guitar signal between 3 amps and all 3 are miked (10), we have a drum machine that we use for a few song intros (11...but I'd like to run it in stereo), acoustic DI (12), bass DI (13), talkback mic (14) and I dedicated to channels to the singer who opened for us (16).  For the next show, I'm bringing my keyboard and I'll want a mic at that...so that's 3 more channels.  We've also discussed the idea of micing the drummer to enhance the sound a little bit.  That would be 5 more mics on the kit.  And if you count wanting to run the drum machine in stereo, we're really talking about 9 more channels...and now we've pretty much filled up a 24-track assuming it has a separate talkback.
  • Equipment is heavy
  • Equipment takes up a lot of room

The thought of having to somehow upgrade to more channels was frustrating.  Why didn't I spend an extra $200 to get the 24-channel in the first place?!?  Well, that would have been a larger snake too.  And what do I do now?  Sell my mixer and case to by a more expensive one that still doesn't really give me everything I need?  And what about the snake??  This could easily get a lot more expensive than it already was.  And it was going to be heavier and take even more space in the van.

Then I ran across the DL32R again.  I had no question that it works...but now that I was faced with this upgrade issue, it made too much sense:
  • Assuming I sell my mixer, the case, the 4 dual compressors and the snake for decent prices...the switch should either be a wash or result in extra cash
  • I can run all the monitor sends I need!
  • It'll take far less space.  I can fit everything (DL32R, DriveRack, Lexicon, Power) into single rack case.
  • Quicker setup and teardown.
  • Both the singer and myself can do our own monitor mixes
  • 32 input channels!
  • I can dedicate the Lexicon to weirder effects
  • Soundcheck our band, save settings, have opening act perform then recall our settings
  • No more running back and forth between the stage and the mixer during setup and rehearsal.
  • The prospect of a multi-track recording of the gig without buying extra equipment.

I could go on and on.

I downloaded the software on my iPad and played with it for about 30 minutes before pulling the trigger.  I was honestly blown away with how intuitive it is.  I was worried about how our mixing dude would be able to handle it, but the fact that you can create view groups will make it much much easier.

I can't wait to play with this thing.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Why I'm going DL32R...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »
Assuming I sell my mixer, the case, the 4 dual compressors and the snake for decent prices...the switch should either be a wash or result in extra cash
Yah, good luck with that. I've got a huge-arse pile of dinosaur-era crap I'd like to sell too :-\ .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:11:19 PM by RoadRanger »

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »
I think you will be pleased with the new gear.  E bay / Craigslist will  be great sources to offload your old gear.
I was able to see  almost all my old gear and recoup my investment.
Best of luck.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

jneau

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
Arrived today.  Really easy to connect router and connect the iPad.

I *do* wish the unit could play something other than 48kbps wavs.  Maybe in a future release?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:02 AM »
Are you able to hear the difference?  I can not.

jneau

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
I'm able to tell the difference by the size on disk!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
My point was that if you can't hear the difference, than there is no difference.  I've heard of people who can hear the difference between MP3 and full digital and vinyl.  I honestly can't.  (Except I can hear all the vinyl pops and hisses.)

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
I got my DL32R back in December and have been quite the happy camper with it. I think you made a good move, and I'm looking forward to your additional feedback.
Mackie Junkie

JMc

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 11:33:14 PM »
My point was that if you can't hear the difference, than there is no difference.  I've heard of people who can hear the difference between MP3 and full digital and vinyl.  I honestly can't.  (Except I can hear all the vinyl pops and hisses.)

Sound quality isn't the issue for me.  Taking up unnecessary disc space always is, though.  Like you, I don't hear enough difference between good mp3's and 48k WAV to get in a twist about it, but it annoys me to have to "up" convert my mp3's to .WAV so I can play them back as intermission music.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
That I can understand.  When I got my new iphone 6, I went up a level in memory and have put all my digital music on it.  Would be more likely to use airplay and the phone for break music.