Author Topic: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here  (Read 17209 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 03:10:30 PM »
I was quite surprised to find out that there are ICs in the Lightning connector.  So that charging/sync cable isn't just wires and connectors.  Try to not lose them. 

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
I was quite surprised to find out that there are ICs in the Lightning connector.  So that charging/sync cable isn't just wires and connectors.  Try to not lose them.

I saw one on the internet that had been opened and was amazed too,  to see the circuitry in something that small. I can seen why the cable is that expensive (maybe a little overpriced?) and why you should probably stick with genuine apple cables and accessories for 100% compatibility and reliability.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:34:18 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »
[...] having only one port that charges and spews information in and out, stupid, no seperate charge port, no usb, no lan  crazy,
I don't have any particular problem with having it all be one connector - but hate that Apple won't sell us the complete breakout box for it. You can buy the "camera connection kit" that gives you a USB port but we really need a box that charges the iDevice, gives you one (or more) fully powered USB port, and a UTP Ethernet port. Hey, maybe the iPad Pro will have those eventually and they'll be backwards compatible :) ? In the mean time I've yet to hear of anyone having a problem with the iPad when it's right next to the AP? Just run UTP out to your AP at FOH and you shouldn't have any problems :) .

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Does the chip in the lead do anything, I thought it was there purely to scupper the chance of using a non Apple cable.

You would think the circuitry encased in the lead would be safer on the pads internal pcb?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Does the chip in the lead do anything, I thought it was there purely to scupper the chance of using a non Apple cable.

You would think the circuitry encased in the lead would be safer on the pads internal pcb?
AFAIK it's a driver chip with ID so Apple can tell whether a legit device is attached. USB interface is spec'd by timing parameters not cable length. Although for most common cable it's about 10-15 ft. Apple officially only supports a limited number of devices hence the name "camera kit". A minimal USB implementation. USB is the thorn in their side hence the push on Thunderbolt. It' will eventually go away like Firewire. All the unofficial Ethernet connections I've seen are to a Web browser not a DL.
All this talk about USB or any other interface spec is meaningless without a Spec version number and as in USB what is implemented. Try getting that out of Apple. ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:39:36 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
So, let’s keep our fingers crossed that MF 3.X and MYF 3.X will work just fine when iOS 9 drops Sept 16th. It's a good bet that everything will work just fine, just the same.  Not even a hint of a MF 4.0 to coincide with the new iOS version.   :(
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »
I wouldn't pick on Mackie right now.  I'd rather continue getting fixes and improvements at a consistent pace, like they've been coming recently.  MF 3.x is good enough for me to live with for a long time.  Whenever Mackie creates a MF 4, it will be a major change and I'm not expecting that anytime in the next two years.  Stability and no unintentional white or pink noise are critical and probably the biggest reason for MF 3.x.  They're developing the software the right way now and I will be patient.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
Not picking on Mackie, just hoping everything works out with the iOS update. And I did state that " It's a good bet that everything will work just fine, just the same"

Mackie has always come through with updates and patches everytime as far as I'm concerned. I am using 3 year old DL1608 that has worked flawlessly with absolutely no issues from day one. There's always going to be a little concern when any OS is updated that can directly affect any device that relies solely upon it for operation.

As far as MF 4 is concerned, it's not a deal breaker that it's not out yet. Mackie will continue to make improvements to the current version and 4 will arrive all in good time. I'm quite happy with 3.x and when 4 drops I will be updating. Just eager to see what version 4 will bring, that's all.  8)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 01:21:10 AM »
Waiting is a bitch.   I'm quite happy with Mackie and my DL1608.  Personally hoping this mixer gets me through to retirement from the music and sound business.  Can't see me buying a different digital mixer.

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 04:04:42 AM »
Just to chip in again re: thunderbolt port.
IMHO this is a pink elephant of an interface, I have it on my MBP.
Third party support for it is limited and peripherals seem very expensive.

Thunderbolt ain't ready for prime-time. It's fine if you're only running one or two low-bandwidth devices, but as soon as you start to push it, it starts to get flaky.

Not sure what you mean by flakey. It's pretty solid in my experience & I've done a lot of testing with it. Yes, it's a bandwidth sharing PCIe bus on a wire, but it's far faster than anything else out there right now. As long as the devices you're driving have a decent driver, you shouldn't have issues.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
Just to chip in again re: thunderbolt port.
IMHO this is a pink elephant of an interface, I have it on my MBP.
Third party support for it is limited and peripherals seem very expensive.
Thunderbolt ain't ready for prime-time. It's fine if you're only running one or two low-bandwidth devices, but as soon as you start to push it, it starts to get flaky.
Not sure what you mean by flakey. It's pretty solid in my experience & I've done a lot of testing with it. Yes, it's a bandwidth sharing PCIe bus on a wire, but it's far faster than anything else out there right now. As long as the devices you're driving have a decent driver, you shouldn't have issues.
What I mean by flaky is that devices fail to initialize or be recognized. I have now 5 of the new Mac Pros, and all have three monitors -- two Apple 28" plus a large-screen monitor (connected HDMI), an ATTO FC1082 or FC2082 Fiber Channel 8G adapter, and a G-Tech 4TB thunderbolt drive. The problem is especially pronounced if anything is connected on a Thunderbolt port along with one of the Apple monitors or with the fiber channel adapter.

In reality, there are only three "channels" (for lack of a better word) of Thunderbolt on the MacPros with two physical ports on each. One also drives the internal HDMI port. So, it's important to try to figure out how much bandwidth each device is going to use and attempt to balance the load. I never had any such problems with the MacPro towers with PCIe cards and Firewire800.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:21:52 AM by RoadRanger »
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA