Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First Serious Glitches With DL32R and MF

<< < (13/15) > >>

Topsøe:
Maybe it is the increased bandwidth demanded by the new 32. ch  files ?

WK154:
Sorry BenO my money is on Seagate definitely not Mackie. They are far more thoroughly tested than any Mackie gear. I was trying not to bring up the obvious software issues such as having to wait after the software declares an operation completed and it's not, REALLY. What kind of programming is that? Skip the manual update and fix the software instead. If the OS hasn't been modified by Mackie buffered writes would complete and not cause any problems since plenty of time was allotted to writes especially in this case. As Gio stated FAT32 is FAT32 and I haven't read one reason why Mackie requires it's own formatting, maybe you should stick to the standard. Playing around with FAT allocation tables when you're not up to it will cause you problems. JMc I wouldn't try a SSD since it requires special handling I'm certain Mackie can't handle. Since we are talking about a USB interface to the drive there's lot's that can go wrong. A disk diagnostic on a PC will settle that issue.

JMc:
Bill, why do you say an SSD requires "special handling"?  Can you be more specific?  I don't know why it would be different than using any other drive, so long as it was formatted properly...

gerenm63:
In my experience, cut your losses and replace the Seagate trash with something else. Even their so-called "enterprise" drives don't seem to last more than a few months anymore. In fact, I've had nothing but trouble with Seagate drives since I got stuck with my first one in 1986. Until we moved away from them where I work, I was replacing them at a rate of 2-3 a month, every month. They had started failing within 3 months of purchase. We switched to Hitachi/HGST about 18 months ago, and I've had 76 of the little buggers spinning in three arrays 24/7 since then with zero failures (probably just jinxed that!).

WK154:

--- Quote from: JMc on September 10, 2015, 03:33:59 AM ---Bill, why do you say an SSD requires "special handling"?  Can you be more specific?  I don't know why it would be different than using any other drive, so long as it was formatted properly...

--- End quote ---
Without going into all the techie details of every variation of SSD technology suffice it to say that whatever USB interface you have attached to the drive or incorporated on the drive it needs to be aware of the underlying SSD chip technology. That's why XP drivers although work on SSD's are inefficient and lead to early failure. Windows 6 on up had the changes incorporated in the driver. Not sure if it requires any  special handling in USB to deal with that. For that reason I would check with the Mfg. before use or avoid it altogether. Since I don't have the model # of your drive I can't go further. HD's are cheaper and handle more storage so I don't think you would gain anything with SSD's. HD's are in the 6Gbs range not going to be  challenged by 480mps.
Gerem63 I've had no such experience in the past with Seagate although the bulk of drives I installed were IBM/Hitachi with excellent results but also some failures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version