Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

First Serious Glitches With DL32R and MF

<< < (14/15) > >>

JMc:
Interesting.  I've been running XP on my 1 T Samsung 840 EVO for over a year now.  Troubling to hear of this early failure business..  I too have had no regular trouble with Seagate drives.  I switched to Seagate Barracuda drives after repeated failures by Maxtor and never looked back.  Of all the Seagate drives I've owned, I've only had ONE go bad, which was a 3T backup drive I purchased a few years ago.  It died after a year and was replaced, free of charge, under warranty.  I can tell you this...  I don't like how fussy the DL32R is sounding like when it comes to HDD.  It's worth noting that my recording problems seemed to coincide roughly with the last firmware update.  Prior to that, I successfully recorded about a dozen shows, never ejecting the disc and leaving the earlier recordings on it when I went to make more.  I'm glad that others aren't experiencing the same problems, apparently.  Guess I'm just the "lucky" one.  And what's the reason you can't just record to a USB thumb drive with this mixer?  I've never really heard that one explained.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on September 10, 2015, 04:25:34 AM ---Gerem63 I've had no such experience in the past with Seagate although the bulk of drives I installed were IBM/Hitachi with excellent results but also some failures.

--- End quote ---

Lucky you.  :)

I spent 15 years of my life in IT, and 8 years in professional audio/sound design before going back to television production for my day-gig about 12 years ago. I admit, I'm hard on disk drives, but I've seen a wide range of drives out there. Seagates have consistently been the worst -- and as I said, that's going back to about 1986. The best drives I every used were Quantums, but that seems like a couple of lifetimes ago...

JMc:
Okay, latest wrinkle...  Using data recovery software on my HDD I found 264 .WAV files which probably represent the recorded shows that went missing due to the phantom FAT errors.  I can't say with certainty yet if they are intact and usable, but if they are, sorting them is going to be a bitch, but worth it in the end if all the performances are salvaged.  I'll know soon enough...  The recovered files are currently transferring onto a different drive and I am cautiously optimistic

I am also going to use the Samsung 850 EVO 1T SSD despite Bill's admonitions against it.  I see no valid reason not to try it.  It's a drive.  It SHOULD work just fine and in fact, might even be more suitable given there are no moving parts and it is less susceptible to vibration/shock and heat issues.  I have formatted it in the DL32R and successfully recorded some test files on the SSD.

I DO have a question for Beno, though.  WHY is the filename from a previous show (eur082115) displaying in the recording window of this newly formatted, completely different drive?  Why this particular show from August 21st when I've recorded others since then and why did the DL32R retain that information?  For what purpose?  How do I get rid of it?  Could this be a clue to at least part of the problem? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r3jql2g5sl1zga/File%20Sep%2011%2C%2012%2049%2005%20PM.png?dl=0

beno:

--- Quote from: JMc on September 11, 2015, 08:13:29 PM ---
I DO have a question for Beno, though.  WHY is the filename from a previous show displaying in the window of a newly formatted, different drive?  Why this particular show from August 21st when I've recorded others since then and why did the DL32R retain that information?  For what purpose?  How do I get rid of it?  Could this be a clue to at least part of the problem? 

--- End quote ---

That's a bug. Don't think it has anything to with the issues. Master Fader keeps track of the last string shown there and isn't getting reset properly.

JMc:
Thanks for your quick reply.  Just for reference, it was not the last show that recorded and saved successfully.  That was named something else and was saved the following day on 082215.  So, I'm not sure what, if anything, that means.   I've got a few more minutes to go before I can see if the recovered files are usable...  I'll report back here.  But, hey, glad I helped you uncover one bug, at least...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version