Author Topic: DL32R Multitrack Wav Recording Question  (Read 3941 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
DL32R Multitrack Wav Recording Question
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »
I've worked with audio for years, mixing down church and band recordings, mobile studio recordings, etc.  BUT, I'm not familiar with this multitrack wav format that the Mackie uses.

I'm confused and haven't had a chance to look into it yet, or even go Google the little issue I have. Thought I would post it here first in case someone has some insight.

So we had our first gig with the DL32R on Friday. All went well.   Recorded in 32 channels, not 24, because I setup the board odd with one input in channel 30, and the streaming music in 31/32 bridged.  None the less, the recording is awesome sounds great.

However, when I dragged the first multitrack wav into Adobe Audacity, all the tracks appeared, all 32, even though we only had about 16 inputs in use.
Here's the problem.     The tracks were not imported in order.

Audition had all the tracks, but track one, the lead singer's vocal was down at 25, and the guitar was in track 2, which should have been 18.

Now, it gets stranger... I imported the next one, and now the tracks were not even the same as the previous import.

Is this an issue with Adobe? Multitrack wavs?     Am I doing something wrong?

And finally - how would I just tell the DL32R to only record certain channels, not just 24/32?

jneau

• Youngling
Re: DL32R Multitrack Wav Recording Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
My understanding is that you cannot select *which* channels to record.  You only select *how many* to record...and that *how many* number needs to be equal to or greater than the highest number channel in use.

Example:  For some reason you decide to use only 2 channels, but you use channel #1 and channel #31.  You need to record 31 channels.

As far as 24 vs. 32...I can't check this second, but the manual makes it appear that you get a combo box where you can select anywhere between 1 and 32 inclusive.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:39 AM »
You can route wich cannels or change the order in the USB routig section , and only record the number you need
If in doubt ask

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
You can route wich cannels or change the order in the USB routig section , and only record the number you need

And if we route only channels 1-5, 9-16, 17-25 and 30, set the mackie to record 32 channels and hit record, there will only be those tracks in the multitrack wav file?  No blank ones?

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »
It will record the first X number of channels, depending on how many you select. So, if you want 1-5, 9-16, 17-25 and 30, route them as follows:

1-5 to 1-5
9-16 to 6-13
17-25 to 14-22
30 to 23

Then record 23 channels.
Mackie Junkie

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Ahhh that makes sense..... 

Thank you....  Will give it a try next weekend. Tonight I will just go with what I have and record 24 channels with 7 of those being empty tracks. heh

jneau

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 09:41:29 PM »
I assume USB inputs need to be routed accordingly if you are playing back

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
I assume USB inputs need to be routed accordingly if you are playing back
Yes, however, by default, they are routed 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.
Mackie Junkie