Author Topic: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here  (Read 17230 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
iPad Pro and iOS9 are here
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:35:50 AM »
Well if you are exited about an overpriced and over-sized Air 2 it's here. Unfortunately the only external wired link remains the Lightning connector and nothing but USB capability as before. As far as I'm concerned it's not a Pro device with this limitation. The dual app capability is hardly to be considered a "multitasking" OS unless all you can handle are 2 apps at a time. What a disappointment.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »
Well if you are exited about an overpriced and over-sized Air 2 it's here. Unfortunately the only external wired link remains the Lightning connector and nothing but USB capability as before.
As I've pointed out before, the iDevice's (unofficial) wired Ethernet capability is via the USB - why would you expect different?

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »
Surely a modern windows tablet would pee all over the new pad, all them brains at Apple can't realise we want a couple of in out options on a 600 dollar unit.

Too busy making a nice cardboard box to ship it in I guess.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:32:53 AM »
Meh!
You guys :facepalm:
It's a bigger version of the iPad.....gasp!
Lots of people will want it and will buy it.
You don't like it, don't buy it!
Don't get angry and bitter, just ignore it - problem solved :thu: :)

Hope you guys are all keeping well btw!
The older I get, the better I was!

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
It seems odd that they haven't gone down the Thunderbolt route as they did with the MacBooks to provide a range of connectivity options. As said, it can hardly be considered 'Pro' with such limited connectivity. One suspects that even with the extra screen real-estate the Master Fader app would not be 'enhanced' to take advantage of it, i.e. 12 channels on view, etc. 

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:39:58 AM »
Just to chip in again re: thunderbolt port.
IMHO this is a pink elephant of an interface, I have it on my MBP.
Third party support for it is limited and peripherals seem very expensive.

Back to iPad pro connectivity, aren't hardwired connections very 20th century?
Aren't we living in the age of ever quicker wireless communications?
Superfast broadband, 4G, LTE, Cloud storage.
Does this new tablet really need any more ports?
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
Well if you are exited about an overpriced and over-sized Air 2 it's here. Unfortunately the only external wired link remains the Lightning connector and nothing but USB capability as before.
As I've pointed out before, the iDevice's (unofficial) wired Ethernet capability is via the USB - why would you expect different?
And as I've pointed out before it's an shaky kludge no-one here has used.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »

Back to iPad pro connectivity, aren't hardwired connections very 20th century?
Aren't we living in the age of ever quicker wireless communications?
Superfast broadband, 4G, LTE, Cloud storage.
Does this new tablet really need any more ports?
Pink elephant or not Apple and Intel are pushing hard but most Mfg.'s are resisting. As to the "20th" century wired I guess they were light-years ahead of 21st century 1 Gps wireless with 10 Gps  wired  and no interference. ;)
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
And as I've pointed out before it's an shaky kludge no-one here has used.
Apple uses it for all their big demos. Not a kludge at all, any more than any USB to Ethernet connection is. It would be nice if Apple released their USB to Ethernet interface for it though. There is that third party one but for some unexplained reason it requires the app using it to be compiled for it - wonder why? In any case it sure would seem to make sense for Mackie to support a hardware connection...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
Surely a modern windows tablet would pee all over the new pad, all them brains at Apple can't realise we want a couple of in out options on a 600 dollar unit.
I suspect the market for a UTP Ethernet I/F is too small to matter to them, even though they've had one in limited production for themselves for years...

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
I read up on iOS 9 last night, and it sounds interesting. Has anyone here upgraded yet? I'm expecting that MF will work fine on iOS 9, but I'd like to hear from others who have tried it.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
I think that the bigger iPad would make running MF 3.X and MF 4 when it shows up,  much nicer and easier to navigate than the current iPad. Easier on old eyes too. Of course the price may make it hard to swallow unless you have to upgrade to a newer faster iPad, that is.  ;)

PS: Haven't upgraded to iOS 9 yet, but thinking about starting with one device at a time. Since it's supposed to be compatible with even older devices, may just start with the ole iPhone 4S first. Fingers crossed!  :mrgreen:

PPS: Doesn't look like the iOS 9 update is quite ready to drop here in good ole Toronto yet.  :'(

More: Getting ahead of myself. Did some research, according to Mac Rumors, iOS 9 will drop on Wednesday Sept 16th. And a few other sites also stated this too. Ah well, jumping the gun once again.  :-[ Won't be too long until it's here, even though it will be too long to wait.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:54:55 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »
We're definitely excited about iPad Pro. A Bigger screen to show more things sounds cool to us. What about you all? What would like us to do with the additional real estate?

Regarding iOS9. We've been doing some testing for a while. We only got the GM yesterday so we just started testing on that. We've found a few rare but serious crash issues when running 3.2.1 on iOS9 and have already submitted a 3.2.2 fix to Apple to remedy. Hopefully it will get approved soon so we go live next week in advance of iOS9. If anyone is a developer and is using the iOS9 GM and would like to test 3.2.2 it would be a help. Email me at DL1608.Feedback@mackie.com. Thanks.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 08:44:52 PM »
I'd like a full set of meters across the top and perhaps buttons for things like mute groups and Aux / DCAs / Groups rather than a drop down (one press rather than two). With the DL32R I am sure more channels on show would be welcome.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »

Thunderbolt ain't ready for prime-time. It's fine if you're only running one or two low-bandwidth devices, but as soon as you start to push it, it starts to get flaky.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA