Author Topic: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here  (Read 17234 times)

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: iPad Pro and iOS9 are here
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:19 PM »
One of the biggest advantages to the DL series is the ability to move around the venue and mix from anywhere. So, I'm not sure that a bigger, and heavier, iPad is really that beneficial, unless you work from one place. But, if I was going to go with a bigger screen, I would love to see more channels at one time. I would love internal AirPlay controls within MF. And maybe a Talk Back button on the main screen.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 10:01:19 PM »
One of the biggest advantages to the DL series is the ability to move around the venue and mix from anywhere. So, I'm not sure that a bigger, and heavier, iPad is really that beneficial, unless you work from one place.
Agreed, I mostly use my Mini as I find the standard iPad too big in a crowded club...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
And as I've pointed out before it's an shaky kludge no-one here has used.
Apple uses it for all their big demos. Not a kludge at all, any more than any USB to Ethernet connection is. It would be nice if Apple released their USB to Ethernet interface for it though. There is that third party one but for some unexplained reason it requires the app using it to be compiled for it - wonder why? In any case it sure would seem to make sense for Mackie to support a hardware connection...
Did it ever occur to you that Apple may have a driver for their rig? At present most USB to Ethernet adapters draw to much current for a iPad to supply so a powered Hub, which needs a wall-wart, is necessary that's a kludge in my book.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
Did it ever occur to you that Apple may have a driver for their rig?
Nope, others have kluged together a copy of their hardware and found it to work fine without any additional driver needed.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:24:34 PM »
I've tried it and it has never worked for me. Did the powered hub trick and still no love. I would love to get it working if anyone knows the secret.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
At present most USB to Ethernet adapters draw to much current for a iPad to supply so a powered Hub, which needs a wall-wart, is necessary that's a kludge in my book.
Not really, most folks are gonna want to have the iPad on charge when it's wired in anyways - just like it is when docked.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
I've tried it and it has never worked for me. Did the powered hub trick and still no love. I would love to get it working if anyone knows the secret.
Interesting, there's quite a bit about it on the web but AFAIK nobody here has tried it. Did youse guys take a look at that third party solution that requires you to compile in support for it in the app?

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Nope. Must have missed that. Link?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
Interesting. Thanks.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
We're definitely excited about iPad Pro. A Bigger screen to show more things sounds cool to us. What about you all? What would like us to do with the additional real estate?
What would sound cool to me would be the inclusion of a choice of legitimate reverbs. I for one frankly could care less about any additional screen real estate,
as I too utilize the Mini (Classic). With respect, KISS.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »
I'd be all for using the additional size of the ipad pro for more channels on the screen.  Might want to consider a screen with faders on top and masters, groups and VCAs below that scroll separately side to side.  (Probably easier to make as a brand new screen than to adapt a current one.)   

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
We're definitely excited about iPad Pro. A Bigger screen to show more things sounds cool to us. What about you all? What would like us to do with the additional real estate?
What would sound cool to me would be the inclusion of a choice of legitimate reverbs. I for one frankly could care less about any additional screen real estate,
as I too utilize the Mini (Classic). With respect, KISS.

I'm with you on that James, I find the standard iPad too heavy to wander around with for hours already and always use a mini wireless... I also revert to classic for gigs where quick access is important. please Beno do something with that crappy reverb it lets the whole thing down.

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
I do like my pad, but it will be the last one I buy,

Apple are just thieves, thirty five euros for a charging cable, and so on, and having only one port that charges and spews information in and out, stupid, no seperate charge port, no usb, no lan  crazy,

That's my last rant on Apple this is the mackie forum at the end of the day.

:)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
I do like my pad, but it will be the last one I buy,

Apple are just thieves, thirty five euros for a charging cable, and so on, and having only one port that charges and spews information in and out, stupid, no seperate charge port, no usb, no lan  crazy,

That's my last rant on Apple this is the mackie forum at the end of the day.

:)
I'm with you on that but unfortunately none of the DL mixers are complete and operational without the Apple product. Until that changes it's one product since there are no choices. Yes it's a Mackie forum with a fruit. :D :D
When in doubt KISS