Author Topic: Still a DL1608 Happy Camper!  (Read 14335 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Still a DL1608 Happy Camper!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
Well Kev that's an easy solution, don't own any Apple products. What you can't survive without them, think again, Millions of people have.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 05:11:58 PM »
Except you can't survive without Apple products if you use a Mackie DLxx.

Apple app store products are far cheaper than they would be if you bought them directly off the developers, the profit for them is in the volume of sales (or in the case of Mackie and Behringer the hardware sales they help generate).

My theory is that if it's cheap enough (like Reaper) and it works users will be happy to pay for it and less likely to pirate it. I don't use Cubase anymore for two main reasons a, I prefer Reaper, and b, I can't justify the high cost of Cubase for the amount of use I would get from it. Very few iPad apps cost so much that I have to think twice before buying them. If you backup the old app before updating you can easily go back to it, what you can't easily do (if at all) is give a copy to somebody else (which for a paid app would be depriving the developer of his cut).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:18:53 PM by sam.spoons »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
Sam I view this as a Mackie problem. What about all those FREE apps that aren't free because Apple charges the Lister and guess who pays for that service. Not so free anymore. What gives Apple the right to control distribution of that free app?
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
the distribution of iOS apps, even if they are free, only through apples outlet, not via an email or download from the bloke who owns and created the app. Incredible when you think about it.

Kev

just my opinion,,,
if Apple allowed anyone to make an app and post it for sale or free, all the Apple products that use those apps would be full of viruses and contain programs that turn those devices into useless, worthless pieces of crap. MS

So now you can shoot me for my opinion
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:14:23 PM by dpdan »

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
I have to agree with Dan here, the Fruit's insistence for only supplying apps throughout the app store is sometimes frustrating but OTOH it's rare to download an app and find that it either doesn't work as expected. On the one occasion I had an app which didn't perform as I hoped Apple refunded me for the app (I did contact the developer first but he was unhelpful).

Also I've never had a virus delivered in an iOS app (those are amongst the biggest selling points for iDevices IMHO).

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »
the distribution of iOS apps, even if they are free, only through apples outlet, not via an email or download from the bloke who owns and created the app. Incredible when you think about it.

Kev

just my opinion,,,
if Apple allowed anyone to make an app and post it for sale or free, all the Apple products that use those apps would be full of viruses and contain programs that turn those devices into useless, worthless pieces of crap. MS

So now you can shoot me for my opinion

Sorry you'll have to live for another day. The point here is that Apple usurps the developers and users right to provide a FREE app to those who want to use it without Apples permission. It has little to do with viruses. The claim that everything else is loaded with viruses is absurd. Corporate World would collapse.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 01:46:35 AM »
People have been infected from new software installation CDs before.  Virus's can come from some unexpected sources.  Apple's approach makes it much less likely, but that alone isn't the only reason to take this approach.  And guys, nobody forced you to purchase a Mackie DL mixer.  You surely were already aware of the requirement to have at least one ipad and that there has never been an android version of the software.  So, I'd say, could you either sell your DL, accept your fate or at least quit whining?  It's getting to me and probably others too.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
Sure has deviated just a wee bit from my OP. It is the nature of this forum however and does generate some interesting conversations, whether on topic or not. It’s all good!  8)

I however never go off topic.  :P  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Sure has deviated just a wee bit from my OP. It is the nature of this forum however and does generate some interesting conversations, whether on topic or not. It’s all good!  8)

I however never go off topic.  :P  ;)

Here here!

I just pulled out my DL1608 for two shows, NYE and a little festival on Saturday. First was low-paying (only wanted to pay me for my time, but site-review convinced me to haul out a system) second was volunteer (benefit for music in the schools, honoring two dear friends who left us), so neither warranted dragging out a Soundcraft console.

Both shows went wonderfully, I REALLY like the RTA in the update, that helped spot the random ringing that came up in the mini-festival (really an open-mic for 6 hours, each act got two or three songs)!

The on-mixer recording from NYE sounds way better than I expected... still had to normalize it first to be useful, and had a couple of those random clicks (I zoomed in on them in Logic, just a single square wave peak - not hard to remove) - but sounds great, looking forward to cutting it up & sending it to the band!

My only complaint is the software is sluggish on my gen-3 iPad, I left that connected for recording and used the newer Mini and my iPhone for mixing. I'm sure it's smooth-sailing on an iPad Pro, might have to get the company to buy me one for that purpose  ;)

In short: I'm still happy with this little console for the little grab & go shows whenever they come up, and I keep one in the van at bigger shows as our backup if there's ever an issue with the Si consoles!

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
Well Kev that's an easy solution, don't own any Apple products. What you can't survive without them, think again, Millions of people have.

Hi William,

I am afraid that during a live gig, while I am on stage singing and playing the guitar and mixing , I will always have to chose a pesky pad over a normal Windows laptop, it's a no brainer,

However that could all change when all the apps look and behave the same and I purchase a shiny touch screen Windows hybrid.

As for dans comments, I have to disagree with him, or at least suggest a compromise, people wanting torch apps games and other crap should go through Apple to maintain integrity, but  a small number of bonafide companies who have mission critical apps who's use is exclusive to a single product, should be allowed to distribute them openly.

Cheers

Kev
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:20:59 PM by Kev tyler »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »
As for dans comments, I have to disagree with him, or at least suggest a compromise, people wanting torch apps games and other crap should go through Apple to maintain integrity, but  a small number of bonafide companies who have mission critical apps who's use is exclusive to a single product, should be allowed to distribute them openly.

Cheers

With iOS 9, it is possible and supported to "side load" apps, bypassing iTunes and the App Store. You do still need a Mac to do it, and XCode 7, but the functionality is there. This link describes the supported process:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/10/12/how-to-sideload-apps-on-iphone-ipad-ios-9/

This is how movie theaters, for example, load the Fandango ticket validation app on the iPhones used by ticket takers. Many "enterprise" users of iPads and iPhones use the process for their custom applications as well.

Cheers!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
Interesting but after reading the process it's quite apparent that the paranoids still want to be in control. Hardly what I would call a useful process but a beginning. Wonder what corp. put the screws to them to provide this?
When in doubt KISS

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
Thanks guys

But while control apps are all over the place, I do not want to purchase any more gear, or spend time learning non musical related skills right now,

I just  wonder how long it will be before X factor and the voice stipulate that artists can sing dance look pretty and manage small and large wired wireless networks etc.

:)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
Soon Kev, soon or as the Mfg.'s say in a future release, so keep in touch. I was looking at Mackie's Reach, no it's not a toothbrush, and thought about you. Perfect for the solo artist FX foot-pedal optional but maybe better effects all 16 of them.  ;)
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:21:13 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 08:16:56 PM »
If anyone is really interested in the Mackie Reach specs (kinda, maybe?)here's the link to the PDF Spec Sheet. 

http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/SPECS/Spec_Sheets/Reach_SS.pdf

Not too bad in the power dept. of 360 Watts RMS. Might be good for small to medium size venues? And light at about 31 pounds.

8)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:20:29 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler