Author Topic: Master Fader and Music Sequencer Apps  (Read 2519 times)

IndieP

• Initiate
Master Fader and Music Sequencer Apps
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:37:59 AM »
Hi Everyone,
   I am really keen on purchasing a DL806 and if so an iPad Air 2 to go with it. However, as a newly chosen keyboard player of the (Yamaha CP4 Stage), I would also like to use the Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer App (See http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/mobile_sequencer/ ). However, the music sequencer app can only be used with an iPad which would normally be connected to the USB port on the back of the keyboard. My questions are:

Would I be able to run the Music Sequencer app with its features, on the iPad at the same time I am mixing with the DL806 using the same iPad? In other words, would I be able to add effects from the Music sequencer and run them through the very board I am controlling with the iPad that’s also controlling the Music Sequencer?

A Mackie tech says.

I am not too familiar with the Yamaha Music Sequencer but you should be able to play audio from it and have it sourced into Master Fader via the iPad channel. This will only work when the iPad is docked to the mixer. It would not work wirelessly because no audio passes through the iPad to the mixer, only control information.

But I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried doing this or has some knowledge of someone doing so before I go ahead and purchase these items.

Also, apparently the DL806 (or should I say the Master Fader App) has reverb on it, but a page on Mackie’s website called (user voice) where others are asked to give their input on the DL series of mixers, say the reverb is very poor and therefore not useable. Reverb along with simultaneous use of both these apps may be a deal clincher for me. Has anyone got any experience with the reverb in the Master Fader app?

Thanks

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Master Fader and Music Sequencer Apps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:15 AM »
You will find a lot of nay-sayers on the reverb.  I'm a light user of effects, so it's OK for my use.  (slightly more likely to use the delay.)  People who have spent some serious time with the reverb have suggested that the defaults aren't very good.  You can figure out a reverb that you like and save it for recalling later.  (I've done that with the HPF on the channel PEQ.)   As far as using the sequencer, I'm betting you'll need a second ipad for that.  You'll really need to test it.  What part of the country are you living in?  If you're out here in Denver or nearby, I'd be more than willing to work through that before you spend any money.  On the other hand, because the DL series mixers are so ipad dependent, you will probably want to own two anyway.  I've got an ipad mini for wireless use.  Got an ipad 2 that I use in the dock.  Where ever you live, you will probably find someone willing to work through the issues with you.  We want to know too.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,
   I am really keen on purchasing a DL806 and if so an iPad Air 2 to go with it. However, as a newly chosen keyboard player of the (Yamaha CP4 Stage), I would also like to use the Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer App (See http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/mobile_sequencer/ ). However, the music sequencer app can only be used with an iPad which would normally be connected to the USB port on the back of the keyboard. My questions are:

Would I be able to run the Music Sequencer app with its features, on the iPad at the same time I am mixing with the DL806 using the same iPad? In other words, would I be able to add effects from the Music sequencer and run them through the very board I am controlling with the iPad that’s also controlling the Music Sequencer?

A Mackie tech says.

I am not too familiar with the Yamaha Music Sequencer but you should be able to play audio from it and have it sourced into Master Fader via the iPad channel. This will only work when the iPad is docked to the mixer. It would not work wirelessly because no audio passes through the iPad to the mixer, only control information.

But I would like to hear from someone who has actually tried doing this or has some knowledge of someone doing so before I go ahead and purchase these items.

Also, apparently the DL806 (or should I say the Master Fader App) has reverb on it, but a page on Mackie’s website called (user voice) where others are asked to give their input on the DL series of mixers, say the reverb is very poor and therefore not useable. Reverb along with simultaneous use of both these apps may be a deal clincher for me. Has anyone got any experience with the reverb in the Master Fader app?

Thanks

The reverb is crap, no way to make it sound good. Shame as otherwise the DL is still the best around.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
The reverb is usable. Don't use too much and EQ it for best results.