Author Topic: Possible AirPlay bug with iOS 9. Not 9.0.1?  (Read 11303 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Possible AirPlay bug with iOS 9. Not 9.0.1?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Certainly not, for sure.

What is your opinion on the Amped BT Receiver? Looks pretty good.
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 02:26:35 AM »
I've found a lot of junk in the market especially in Bluetooth. Marketing Droids like to overstate their products and in the Bluetooth case it's class = power (distance). IIRC class 2 is anything between about 3 ft. to 33ft. Class 1 the highest is from 33 .0001 ft to 333ft. You get my drift. You have to get a distance out of the manufacturer along with the BT Version #(V4.1 is current). For just playback you needn't worry about delays which will be in the 100ms to 200ms range. If you need better than that you need to turn to AptX low delay units. The one you asked about lists none of the above, NG. Why do you need all that distance? Try your existing units first. Am I detecting a case of GAS here?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:29:55 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 03:25:32 AM »
I agree, Bluetooth is a good way to reliably control another device as long as it is pretty close, as WK said  :)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:54:59 AM by dpdan »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 11:29:27 AM »
I agree, Bluetooth is a good way to reliably control another device as long as it is pretty close, as WK said  :)

Some of the newest Bluetooth gear is good for distances of up to 150 feet or more. I've seen iPhone 6S demos of up to 150 feet in remote control applications.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Getting a bit confused by all this Bluetooth discussion here. TBH, I don't see the value in wrestling with a second wireless connection method, if you are already using one (WiFi) to remote control your mixer. I would find it more useful to focus on stabilizing the WiFi connection (invest in a decent access point, configure channels according to free frequencies on location, avoid conflicts with wireless microphones, ect...) - you need it to remote control your DL anyhow.

Once this is stable, why not use it to remote control whatever MP3 player you use on stage as well (mine is physically plugged into the access point with a LAN cable, your iPod touch will be WiFi connected)? And of course use cables to directly connect the MP3 player to the DL. I try to eliminate wireless audio connections where I can - unless I really need them (wireless in-ear, wireless mics, wireless guitar) for the performance.

If your WiFi connection is so flaky that you don't trust it to remote control your iPod touch, then you really have a different problem - would you then trust it to control your DL?

Keep things simple...

Cheers,

Torsten

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
First off, I want to thank everyone who responded to my post with your wise advice and suggestions!  :thu: :thu:

Where to begin?

Apple has no suggestions as to why this problem occurred, but the iOS Tech hinted very vaguely that it may indeed be iOS 9.X and possibly 9.2 will fix it. I figured BT might be the ticket, since it doesn’t need the wireless router to stream audio, but it seems that the professional opinion is that it really only works well up to 30 feet or so. And I defer to your experiences, since it is a bit of voodoo to me, in that regard.

My wireless network is flawless with the Airport and the DL even at 50 feet or more. Only Airplay is not now. Since it is better for me to sit at the back of the venues generally speaking, (FOH is not practical) I need another solution. No G.A.S. The drop of AP sync is a little nerve wracking since I have to spend a few seconds reconnecting the iPod back to AP, when the choir is waiting to start, in front of 100 parents or more.

Since my network is fine other than “you know what” I’ve been thinking of the cheaper solution (6 bucks), of using Tango Remote to control the iPod Touch at FOH (hidden) with my second iPad. No muss no fuss.

I don't have to make a decision until Dec, when all the Christmas concerts start, so lots of time to think. It's not a major priority, although my post does lean that way, sorry. I have cataract surgery coming up on the 12th of this month for my left eye and Dec 23rd for the right eye,  so that's just a bit more important. Getting old is getting old!  x(

Once again, I do appreciate all the input from everyone concerned, you've all been very helpful!  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:06:59 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »
I don't have to make a decision until Dec, when all the Christmas concerts start, so lots of time to think. It's not a major priority, although my post does lean that way, sorry. I have cataract surgery coming up on the 12th of this month for my left eye and Dec 23rd for the right eye,  so that's just a bit more important. Getting old is getting old!  x(

My dad just had his second cataract surgery a few weeks ago. Both the first and second were quick and drama-free (unlike his detached retina a couple of months before the cataract surgery). For both cataracts, we were in in the morning, out before lunch, and out to dinner that night. He now sees 2-25 in his right eye and 2-40 in his left, and he can go with the glasses he's needed for decades (except for readers). No more cataracts, no more astigmatism. But he sure looks funny to me without glasses on!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »

My dad just had his second cataract surgery a few weeks ago. Both the first and second were quick and drama-free (unlike his detached retina a couple of months before the cataract surgery). For both cataracts, we were in in the morning, out before lunch, and out to dinner that night. He now sees 2-25 in his right eye and 2-40 in his left, and he can go with the glasses he's needed for decades (except for readers). No more cataracts, no more astigmatism. But he sure looks funny to me without glasses on!

Thanks for the support and sharing!

I am just a little apprehensive about the surgery. Some surgeons here even do both eyes at the same time, but it is frowned upon by the medical community in general. This is done only more for the very old. Less trauma? I'm only 60. (not old enough, rats!)

I look funny to myself without the glasses too! The surgeon said that when the one eye is done I can leave the glasses off, since the brain will compensate for the differences. Not my old brain. LOL Once both eyes are complete, I will have to get new glasses.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »

I am just a little apprehensive about the surgery. Some surgeons here even do both eyes at the same time, but it is frowned upon by the medical community in general. This is done only more for the very old. Less trauma? I'm only 60. (not old enough, rats!)

I look funny to myself without the glasses too! The surgeon said that when the one eye is done I can leave the glasses off, since the brain will compensate for the differences. Not my old brain. LOL Once both eyes are complete, I will have to get new glasses.

I know this is off-topic, but ...

It's amazing how much your brain will compensate for. I initially questioned my dad's doctor setting up different vision in each eye, but then I tried looking through only one lens of my own glasses. I was surprised how well I could see with only the one lens held at an odd angle (and my eyes are really bad. You may be pleasantly surprised! I just wish Lasik surgery would come down in price so that I could afford it -- or, come on and give me some cataracts so that my insurance will cover it!
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »

I know this is off-topic, but ...

It's amazing how much your brain will compensate for. I initially questioned my dad's doctor setting up different vision in each eye, but then I tried looking through only one lens of my own glasses. I was surprised how well I could see with only the one lens held at an odd angle (and my eyes are really bad. You may be pleasantly surprised! I just wish Lasik surgery would come down in price so that I could afford it -- or, come on and give me some cataracts so that my insurance will cover it!

That's okay it's off topic, that's just fine with me! And it is amazing how quick your brain can adapt like that!

I was given options for different lenses. The basic ones, that are really not the best ones are covered under our provincial medical plan OHIP. I opted for one level above that and mine will be adjusted so I can read without glasses. These are $150 extra per eye. Of course you can go up from there. All the way to lenses that will completely replace glasses at about $1000 per eye.

Then you can have the ultimate surgery, call Laser Guided. The computer via the surgeon runs the laser and breaks up your natural lens without the surgeon going in and manually busting it up. They still need to make a small incision to insert the artificial lens, but there's a lot less trauma done to the eyes, and it heals up faster. This procedure costs about $2000 per eye.

I opted for the traditional surgery since my wife's medical plan wouldn't cover all the costs. But before the surgery as you probably have experienced with your Father, you have to go in for a pre-op visit. They do an extremely accurate measurement of your eyes. This costs an extra $150.00 per eye here. This test is mandatory, so now I'm at $300 per eye.

A lot of money, but it is certainly worth it to get rid of all the glare, etc. associated with cataracts. I really can't wait to have it done. I really can't drive at night now, the glare from all the lights is now starting to overwhelm seeing the actual vehicles and objects like distracted people stepping onto the roads. Before I know it, it will be all done. Thank goodness.

I am very glad your Father's eyes are done and he can see so well.  :thu: :thu:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:06:42 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:39 PM »
KM good luck with your surgery, but in the meantime squinting at this, just get Tango and try both connection methods. Never know if it fixes the problem until you try. Hardware wise you already have everything. You already have everything to try streaming audio via Bluetooth, that will test the connection and distance at no charge right now. Remember that Bluetooth is a more robust communications method than Wifi especially for interference.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:25 AM »
KM good luck with your surgery, but in the meantime squinting at this, just get Tango and try both connection methods. Never know if it fixes the problem until you try. Hardware wise you already have everything. You already have everything to try streaming audio via Bluetooth, that will test the connection and distance at no charge right now. Remember that Bluetooth is a more robust communications method than Wifi especially for interference.

That's funny! Probably as you posted this, I was purchasing and downloading Tango on all my devices!  :) I've been playing around with it and it works a treat on the wireless and Bluetooth. No drop outs playing audio tracks. I purposely used it with my AirPort Express, of course. Nice little app indeed!

Next week I will have at least one new eye!  :mrgreen:

Thank you for your wishes with the surgery and your invaluable help with my little problems with AirPlay.  :thu: :thu:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 01:35:23 AM »
Well now you have sort of a backup at least for playing intermission music. I just bit the bullet for a Apple CCK and when I get home I'll try a wired connection to the iPad. My Tab 2 Android works just fine with a OTG to Ethernet  but certainly not on the DL (say XR18   ;D ).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:26:25 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS