Author Topic: Hello from my wired iPad  (Read 3474 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Hello from my wired iPad
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:57 AM »
Not all Apple parts. We'll see if it plays with the DL1608. CCK kit is NG.
When in doubt KISS

Weogo

• Knight
Re: Hello from my wired iPad
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 03:07:08 PM »
Hi WK,

I'm following this thread with interest!

Would be very happy to wire connect a DL1608, and in particular the DL32R, to an Ipad.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
OK, I'll bite. How did you make the wired connection?
Mackie Junkie

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Same here....that is the biggest reason I have not went to the DL32. I want a backup control surface
just in cases I can't connect with a router.
At least with the 1608 I can always work off the ipad on  the mixer if I have no remote connectivity
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:41:44 AM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
Yah well don't get your hopes up too much. I'm waiting for one more piece of hardware (a new USB hub) to finalize this test. Turns out my USB Hub only provides 3.3V and successfully for the most part for several years. Goes to show you that you can't trust anyone's specs anymore. What I can tell you now is that the Lenovo Tab 2 to XR18 in Lan mode with the internal DHCP server enabled simply exits the program when attempting to connect. Have to try static mode and a few other combinations but it doesn't look good. Apple pretty much eliminates the newer Ethernet chip sets such as my J5 1Gb. It identifies chip-sets including it's own and so far only the Web browser functions are enabled using their unit. Both Safari and Chrome work fine on the net. Need to dust off the DL1608 (update to the latest version first before testing it). It's competing with all my other priorities such as my early Xmas present a Lenovo Flex 3. Have to check it out before putting it back in the box for a day at Xmas  :). Too bad Mackie doesn't consider it any kind of priority, right Beno.  ;D
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Success on the Android Tab 2 to XR18 using the 1 Gb dongle (J5create) as well as the Apple one. Next will be the DL1608. The problem with the iPad is that there are no wired Ethernet controls only the MF has wired address capability. I hope that's enough.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »
The iPad hookup to the XR18 has resisted any wired connection so far. I believe that it's purposely done by Apple the user friendly folks  ;D . The same exact hookup to the Web is allowed even though I received error messages on the USB powered hub and the Ethernet adapter. Ignoring both will get you on the Web. All this is still on V8.4.1 and although I doubt it will change with V9.1 I will try it after I update some time from now.
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
Thanks for testing all this, even though it's not looking real promising at the moment.
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
Got to updating the DL1608 and checked it for basic functionality. All was OK. Unfortunately I received the same 2 error messages as with the XR18 from the iPad and of course no success with the DL1608 connection. My router recognized the iPad but wireless when enabled after the wired session attempt was unresponsive until I power cycled the DL1608. So as a conclusion of this test is that although you can access (wired) the Web Apple apparently blocks most other devices. Haven't tried SD or USB memory. Instead of blocking devices that code space could have been better used to enable wired networks. Nice job again Apple and one of the reason I don't buy Apple gear.  ;D
Blame it all on Friday the 13th.
For prospective DL32 buyers I would not recommend this mixer until a wired solution can be implemented. If you need 32 inputs your dealing with a significant enough exposure on a compromise-able control. Simply put if WiFi goes down you haul out your backup gear or call it a day. Neither will get you callbacks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:29:40 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
Got the new USB hub with 5V so I tried the CCK and hub with Apple Ethernet dongle. Results one error message less just the Apple Ethernet dongle is not supported but identified, although when hooked to the Internet it's quite happy. So Mackie is under the Apple thumb of no support. Maybe iOS 10 might provide a change?
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 06:32:07 PM »
Well Apple may have fixed the problem in iOS V9.3 at least for the DL32 but I see no reason why it wouldn't work for the DL1608. The problem was with software access to other devices on the sub-net. The hardware worked just fine when communicating with the Web. I may have to dust off the DL1608 if no-one else will test this out. If it works then going forward I would be cautious about newer versions of iOS since Apple has been known to limit features under the guise of a "security threat" with a fix.
When in doubt KISS