Author Topic: 3D Xpoint will change the flash memory world in 2016  (Read 5852 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
3D Xpoint will change the flash memory world in 2016
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »
Already in production for early 2016 a new faster more reliable (TBD) and more compact replacement for the flash memory. Most of the audio equipment uses some form or another of flash memory. Intel and Micron are the developers and as in the past it will be licensed to others (in due time). The new technology is named 3D Xpoint. Will the next  iPad be using it? Hard drives will loose further ground as tablets are more common. Price is supposed to be comparable to current products (probably the high end).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:28:19 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: 3D Xpoint will change the flash memory world 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:41:02 PM »
I haven't heard of this. Is this something that would replace current thumb drives? Would it require a port other than USB on computers?
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »
No change in USB, XD etc. other than possibly new speed grades added to the spec's. It's has a far reaching impact if you consider all the phones, cameras, music players, computers and controllers currently using Flash memory. The transition of course will take years.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:45:08 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
It is quite an advance.  8) Here's a link to the Micron page on this cool tech if anyone is interested.

http://www.micron.com/about/innovations/3d-xpoint-technology

WK: I hope you don't mind me posting the link? And thank you for sharing this cool tech news too!  :thu: :thu:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:04:02 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:51:05 PM »
No worries mate. ;) I've been in this industry since it's inception and there have been only two constants I'm aware of, change and price reduction. What you wear on your wrist today would have cost millions in the sixties and that's without inflation calculations.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:26:12 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: 3D Xpoint will change the flash memory world in 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
Haven’t popped for an Apple Watch yet. Just can’t see where I would use it. I still prefer an analog face, just easier to read, but like all the tech underneath it though. Citizen Eco Drive. Never have to replace the battery.

Can’t even conceive of how much it would’ve cost back in the day, and how big it would’ve been with all the old tech. Probably would’ve had to carry all the electronics in a big knapsack on your back.  :eek:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
Is this just one more reason for Apple to not have a sub port on its stupid iPad.?

:)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
Oh no they'll live and die with thunderbolt.  ;D Today you can get a Android or Windows tab for around $200 same as a $400 iPad. Why would anyone pay double.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:17:39 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
Oh no they'll live and die with thunderbolt.  ;D Today you can get a Android or Windows tab for around $200 same as a $400 iPad. Why would anyone pay double.
Because Apple products come with the "Cool Factor". Who can resist that? :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
Wow Michael and all along I thought it was the "Foolish Factor" for the people who feel the need to be "allowed" to only do things with their product approved by Apple.  ;D
Dictators come to mind.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:13:52 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
I hear you, WK. You can "buy" an iPad, but Apple still own it, and controls what you can do with it.

I just installed the newly available Firefox on my iPad, but can't figure out how to make it the default browser. Apparently Apple doesn't allow that. The can't handle the competition.
Mackie Junkie

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 02:25:51 AM »
Today you can get a Android or Windows tab for around $200 same as a $400 iPad. Why would anyone pay double.
Because you have to run an iPad app. Spent the last couple days messin' about with a couple android tablets (a 7" and a 13.3"). The apps just don't have the polish that the iPad versions have either :( . I use dropbox for my sheet music - the way it displays on Android vs iOS sucks eggs, just not usable :( .

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
RR that's why you first find the App and then the platform. That will usually mean Windows if you're serious. Too bad the fruit-flies can't have a iMac (OSX) tablet it's not allowed.  :) Now that Apple is trying to get into corp. (Cisco & IBM deals)  that may have to happen.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:30:41 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:06 AM »
RR that's why you first find the App and then the platform. That will usually mean Windows if you're serious. Too bad the fruit-flies can't have a iMac (OSX) tablet it's not allowed.  :) Now that Apple is trying to get into corp. (Cisco & IBM deals)  that may have to happen.

Real world: If you're serious about production, you're using Macs. PCs aren't stable enough for anything except Avid. Avid gets around stability issues by not working properly with anything except their blessed system hardware, which is at least a year out-of-date.

As far as Mac tablets go, there's this, which as been around for a few years now: http://www.modbook.com
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 04:15:14 AM »

Real world: If you're serious about production, you're using Macs. PCs aren't stable enough for anything except Avid. Avid gets around stability issues by not working properly with anything except their blessed system hardware, which is at least a year out-of-date.
As far as Mac tablets go, there's this, which as been around for a few years now: http://www.modbook.com

You need to get out of your iCloud. Corporate WORLD has a much different view, do you think they're wrong. The Internet would be a disaster if Apple were part of it instead of Linux, BSD and yes Windows. That's the real world.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:17:19 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS