Author Topic: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)  (Read 16986 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Re: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:38 PM »
 Thanks DigtheDL. Will do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 08:33:34 PM »
Here is a small advantage the DL32R has over the X32 rack. All the functions of the DL32R can be controlled by the iPad app but I don't think this is true for the X32 Rack - I noticed early on that you can't set up a stereo link using the iPad app (I assume you have to use the front panel).

Not a deal breaker but significant if you are used to doing everything on the iPad.

Cheers
What you are experiencing is demo mode. X/M32 Mix needs to be networked connected to a device (mixer) for some control aspects. Suggest utilizing X/M Edit for full function off-line show creation & editing.

I disagree that there is an advantage as you point out. I counter that the reverse is true in that the Behringer/Midas platform of X/M mixers offers more than one method and platform of remote control AND front panel control does exist if necessary on the X32Rack, something that the DL32 obviously does, cannot,
and may never offer. Wired and wireless LAN, iPad and Android remote apps, PC, MAC, Linux and Rasberry PI off/on line editors, front panel control (excluding Core models), versus one marketed method of connectivity, wireless LAN, and one means of control, iOS devices.

Perhaps someone can illuminate me as to how one might link channels 1 & 2 of a DL32R or DL1608 for that matter within MasterFader version X.X ? Oh, can`t be done? That`s right, on the wish list since `12:  https://mackie.uservoice.com/forums/97035-dl-series/suggestions/3009712-channel-linking-grouping

So really now, where might any reasonable individual side on where the advantage/ disadvantage lay ?

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
James,

We might need to agree to disagree on this one.

My point is, that because the DL32R can only be controlled by an ipad - the ipad has to be able to control everything. This is certainly a plus for me.

I do agree that only having one method of control is also a shortcoming of the DL32R.

As for channel linking it can absolutely be done using the current version of Master Fader but from memory it couldn't be done when MF was first released.

Cheers

DigtheDL

• Youngling
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »
Just a clarification to my earlier post.  When I typed X18 I ment XR18.  Sorry for confusion.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »
OK...so here is a dumb question for this topic.

If I have a DL32 I can plug in 32 mics ( or other stuff), easy to do there are 32 XLR inputs
If I have a X32 Rack, I only see 16 inputs on the back panel....how do I get 32 inputs ? On the
big  boy X32 full console there are 32 inputs on the rear, but not on the rack version.

Do I need to buy a S-32 stage box of another $1400.00 ? Or, am I missing something in the comparison
of these two products.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »
James,
As for channel linking it can absolutely be done using the current version of Master Fader but from memory it couldn't be done when MF was first released.
Cheers
Fluddman, I stand corrected and offer my apologies to you, the forum community, and Mackie Central for my oversight and conjecture in my previous post relating to the linking of channels within MasterFaderx.x. You are most certainly correct as to the capability within the current version, as well as Classic. Is really a rather beautifully simple procedure, much in the fashion of MF. To reiterate and be fair though, the channel linking capability does exist within the iOS X/M32 Mix app when properly connected to a device.

If your need/desire to have total control and manipulation via iOS/iPad then the DL32R gets the edge, no question, as this distinction is what puts the entire DL series in a class by itself. Here though is a crux of an issue, where by Mackie`s iOS only design at the outset may have been thought of as a plus, and some as a preference, some may see as a shortcoming, or others as a design flaw. Certainly would depend on perspective and intent of use.

The X/M Mix apps by my metrics are not 100% fully functional, more like 98%, but certainly more functional than many and most, and an absolutely capable solo mixing UI. The app deficiencies/requests are well documented on the Web, in particular the MG User Forum. Judging by the reputed number of unit sales, I doubt this has been a deal breaker.

Then there is the MixingStation Donate app, that here again by my metrics, offers 110% functionality with the X/M32 series. But of course, as the fine print states, YMMV.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 12:17:08 AM »
OK...so here is a dumb question for this topic.

If I have a DL32 I can plug in 32 mics ( or other stuff), easy to do there are 32 XLR inputs
If I have a X32 Rack, I only see 16 inputs on the back panel....how do I get 32 inputs ? On the
big  boy X32 full console there are 32 inputs on the rear, but not on the rack version.

Do I need to buy a S-32 stage box of another $1400.00 ? Or, am I missing something in the comparison
of these two products.

You are correct. You need to the extra stage box for 32 mic preamps.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 12:22:35 AM »
James,
Cheers
Fluddman, I stand corrected and offer my apologies to you, the forum community, and Mackie Central for my oversight and conjecture in my previous post relating to the linking of channels within MasterFaderx.x. You are most certainly correct as to the capability within the current version, as well as Classic. Is really a rather beautifully simple procedure, much in the fashion of MF. To reiterate and be fair though, the channel linking capability does exist within the iOS X/M32 Mix app when properly connected to a device.

If your need/desire to have total control and manipulation via iOS/iPad then the DL32R gets the edge, no question, as this distinction is what puts the entire DL series in a class by itself. Here though is a crux of an issue, where by Mackie`s iOS only design at the outset may have been thought of as a plus, and some as a preference, some may see as a shortcoming, or others as a design flaw. Certainly would depend on perspective and intent of use.

The X/M Mix apps by my metrics are not 100% fully functional, more like 98%, but certainly more functional than many and most, and an absolutely capable solo mixing UI. The app deficiencies/requests are well documented on the Web, in particular the MG User Forum. Judging by the reputed number of unit sales, I doubt this has been a deal breaker.

Then there is the MixingStation Donate app, that here again by my metrics, offers 110% functionality with the X/M32 series. But of course, as the fine print states, YMMV.

Cheers

No worries James. It sounds like I am trying to justify the DL32R, and it does have its appeal, but the X32 Rack is miles ahead.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 01:10:17 AM »
James,
Cheers

Cheers

No worries James. It sounds like I am trying to justify the DL32R, and it does have its appeal, but the X32 Rack is miles ahead.
.......And the qu-pac way ahead of that ;)
The older I get, the better I was!

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 01:15:54 AM »
So then in comparison would it be more accurate to compare the DL16 to the XR-18 ?

When you try to compare is the criteria number of inputs, the price, or the app ?
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 02:14:37 AM »
Qu Pac has only 16 inputs  but with way more money a stage box can be connected and THEN you will have 32 inputs ;)

DL32R to me is very very hard to beat.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
Putting my systems hat on it's not about the money it's about will it do the job you need. Certainly $$ will influence your decision but if it doesn't do what you need move on. They all have their pro's and con's so in the end it's what you need that counts. Apple isn't going to change things in the next 11 months so that leaves Mackie to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Vegas here I come, roll those dice.  ;)
When in doubt KISS

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 04:49:52 AM »
So then in comparison would it be more accurate to compare the DL16 to the XR-18 ?

Absolutely a more accurate comparison straight out of the box by both channel count and m.s.r.p. & street price alone.
However a reminder that it was the OP who identified the brand/models in consideration, be it the differences in channels and pricing. It was by this first post that
a reasonable presumption was made on my part of the posters knowledge of such differences and hence the necessary components and cost to equal the channel count of an X32Rack to that of a DL32R. But. I could have been wrong, as is evident in a previous post.  :facepalm:

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 05:52:45 AM »
Putting my systems hat on it's not about the money it's about will it do the job you need. Certainly $$ will influence your decision but if it doesn't do what you need move on. They all have their pro's and con's so in the end it's what you need that counts.

That is how I prefer to roll in my choices, however as I find more often then not with others consumer choices, $ (budget) dictate direction in decisions.
In the Consumer Triangle of desire, need, and $, the almighty typically trumps the other two factors, unfortunately similar to the Producer Triangle of
desire (features), need (time), and $ (least), where there again the almighty reigns supreme, especially if the concerns of shareholders is ever fore and present,
likely and ultimately resulting in compromise. Ye olde you want it quick, cheap or correct? Pick one.
I am sure more than a few examples and  tales of such compromise can be referenced to by members of this forum on any number and type of product and or service.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 06:02:08 AM »
I just did it. I am on my way home with ........ Drum roll please ..........a new X32 rack! I can count the number of Behringer products I own on one hand. Actually on two fingers. So I hope this proves to be a long term relationship!

I am sure a DL32r would have served me well. In the end the X32 just ticked more boxes for me. Except for bloody mic pre's - so I am going to have to buy the stage box eventually.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk