Author Topic: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)  (Read 17022 times)

James91104

• Knight
Re: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »
Fluddman, you got me. I would have put my chips on the DL32R as your eventual choice. None the less, congrats and would care to hear down the road how you are getting on with your kit, on this or other forums. Holding on to your DL1608 at least as backup, right? Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »
Thanks James,

The DL32R would have been the safe option but the X32 had much more to offer!

Yep, the DL1608 will become the backup.

Stay tuned!

Cheers

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »
Fluddman, at least you were thorough in your asking questions before your purchase, good thinking!

I wish you as much joy with your Behringer purchase as I have had and continue to have with my DL32R  :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 07:37:05 PM »
I can see you were ready to pull the trigger. Waiting for MF 4 was not in the cards. Keep in mind that as you look at the expansion boxes (yes lots of choices besides the S-16) depending on you needs can also use Midas D16's. The preamps on it are the ones used in Midas Pro series mixers or D15x boxes. For general live usage it probably won't matter.
No worries mate
Bill
When in doubt KISS

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 09:07:26 PM »
Fluddman, at least you were thorough in your asking questions before your purchase, good thinking!

I wish you as much joy with your Behringer purchase as I have had and continue to have with my DL32R  :)

Cheers Dan,

I came pretty close to buying the DL32R more than once. I am pretty sure I would have been happy with it too (except for the lack of decent effects).

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
I can see you were ready to pull the trigger. Waiting for MF 4 was not in the cards. Keep in mind that as you look at the expansion boxes (yes lots of choices besides the S-16) depending on you needs can also use Midas D16's. The preamps on it are the ones used in Midas Pro series mixers or D15x boxes. For general live usage it probably won't matter.
No worries mate
Bill

G'day Bill,

Yeah, I need it for a new years eve gig and will have to buy a stage box before then, so your advice is very timely.

Thanks for all you advice on many occasions now.

Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »
So I had my first play tonight. I am ever so slightly disappointed with the Ipad app but totally blown away with what this mixer can do when you use the PC/MAC app. The metering section has an RTA with a spectrograph. Unfortunately not yet on the iPad app but I guess one day.

BTW - I got the channel linking wrong. You can link channels in the iPad app - it just wasn't available in demo mode. Apologies to all.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
Well done on your new purchase. I have been deliberating for ages and trying to justify all sorts of things from iLive racks (which you can use with an iPad or laptop, without the surface) to the DL32R.... ultimately the DL32 just didn't go far enough beyond what the 1608 could do and I was hankering after a control surface for larger events and for when I have people assisting and doing monitor mixes for me. In the end I found a good deal on a X32 Compact with the intention of getting the SD16 and SD8 stage boxes in the future.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
Thanks ijpengelly,

I too had been deliberating for ages. The DL32R is mostly just more of the same compared to the DL1608 but I reckon if it had better effects I would have had one by now and it would have worked well for my situation.

The X32 looks like being a good thing and is capable of so much more than the DL - I am looking forward to giving a run over the weekend.

Cheers

lightguy48

• Padawan
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 03:49:10 AM »
I upgraded from my 1608 to the X32 Rack.  Just too many additional features I wanted that were lacking from the DL32R such as the ability to select on each input where the bus tap is instead of being locked into configuring the entire bus one way or the other.

If you have an Android tablet and use the X32 app (third party) you get the RTA function on the tablet as well as trends for the compressors and gates.   Also with the Android app you can custom design your layers mixing and matching the channels, busses, you name and you can re-order them as well with almost limitless layers.

The effects are so much better it's not even funny.

I still like my 1608, I use it for a number of sports broadcasts and other smaller events but for big shows it's always the X32 Rack.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 06:43:27 AM »
Yeah the RTA function is nice. I assume it will be available for the iPad in the next update.

I am really liking the X32 but it does make me appreciate how elegant the DL app is to use.

Cheers

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
Funny this post is here, my brother in California runs a restaurant/club and as part of their remodel they upgraded the house system. Somehow they ended up with a x32 and a x32 compact. I bought the compact for a fraction of the cost since they wanted to keep the x32.  So in about a week I should get it and be able to see if I like it or not.
Thinking I'll just keep it for my home studio and practice spot.  I'll keep the 1608 for my road shows since that's what all the bands I mix for are used to.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 03:26:56 PM »
Just an update.....I did get the X32 last week and must admit it's quite a product.
The effects really are wonderful and there is a astonishing quantity to choose from and
tweek  to your liking.

Bottom line is other than the effects quality and quantity, I still like my Mackie for MY regular use. The Behringer is a undertaking to set up, program, and operate.  The Mackie software is faster and easier.  While I'm still learning and making tons of mistakes on the x32, I just can't see trying to set up routing changes and the multitude of programming when I'm pressed for time and there are problems going on on stage.  I have watched every YouTube video on the x32 and it's enough to make my head spin 😁  Just saving a scene is complicated.

To some degree the beauty of the Mackie series is in its simplicity.  It's easy to set up, not a ton of
places to make errors.  Inputs are inputs, nothing needs to undergo major surgery in order to operate and while the effects do lack (and Mackie REALLY needs to address this) I like the ease of pulling up a show, loading it and I'm off and running in a matter of minutes.  So....while there are some great and well thought out features on the X series mixers, I think for the immediate future the Mackie will remain as my go to mixer.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
I have to say, I agree with your summary... there is an ocean of difference between then in terms of features and flexibility, but MasterFader's ability to have view groups and the fairly fixed routing options (on the DL1608 at least) does make it much easier to set up and run with as well as trouble shooting issues mid-show. Having the console version does help to address some of this, but my only show with it to date was a baptism of fire.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
I'd have to agree that Master Fader is easier to use and partly because the DL itself is less complex than the X32. I think the other aspect is that the DL was designed to be exclusively controlled by an iPad and as a result it just works better..

I am now using both the X32 Rack and the DL1608 - now that I've got shows saved in X32, set up doesn't take me any longer than it did with the DL.

To me there is no doubt that master fader is the better app but the X32 is a far more capable mixer.

I still enjoy using the DL and for straightforward gigs it is the simpler option.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk