Author Topic: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)  (Read 17061 times)

Fluddman

• Knight
Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)
« on: November 29, 2015, 01:53:50 AM »
I've had a very good run out of my 1608 but I am contemplating stepping up to a bigger mixer.

Mackie are offering $300 cash back on DL32R at the moment so I am tempted but can't quite go through with it.

The lack of any improvement to the reverb and delay is probably the main drawback.

The Behringer X32 rack is the obvious alternative - much better effects but I don't like its app (though admittedly I haven't spent much time with it). The Mackie app seems far superior and that is critical when you don't have physical faders.

Anybody had good or bad experiences in stepping up from the 1608.

Cheers

lotb60

• Youngling
Re: Who's gone from a DL1608 to a DL32R (or even an X32 rack)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:42:22 AM »
Same here. Had a great run with my 1608. Still have it. Stepped up to 32R early this year. No regrets!

Recallable/digital gains are are a huge advance. Rack mount is much better format. Personally I have no problem with the verbs. However, with all the extra channels and returns, why not just rack mount a nice one in the rack with the 32R (if you are like me you still have 2 or 3 in that huge rack that you don't use anymore). Multi-track recording/playback is very nice too.  Again, no regrets going to 32R.

Cheers

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »
G'day Fluddman,
Since your major concern is the UI I have found little real difference in both other than the fact that you have far more features to deal with in the X32. I certainly wouldn't call it much superior, simpler maybe. Yes there are more things to learn on the X32. I would however concern myself with the fact that there are no wired control connections at this time for the DL32. If your gigs are out in the bush no worries. I have the X32 full console not the rack which of course is a different experience, the DL1608 and a XR18 are tablet based. I rarely use the tab for the X32 it's studio use. From what you stated the rack is probably your best choice and can be scaled from the 16 to 40 channels. There are also more options such as wired in-ears, physical fader controls and speaker controls for their newer speakers. Also a lot more control surface options. More channels of course eliminates the DL1608 or the XR series in your case. You could also wait til MF4.0 arrives and see what it brings to the table.
No worries
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 06:18:21 AM »
I just started looking around, with expansion in mind. I still love my DL1608 though, and plan to continue to use it. I'm running Classic with an iPad 2. I'm getting and iPad Air 2 this winter, to prepare for the 3.x software upgrade.

As for which mixer, right now it will be the DL32. I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing on the Behringer side of things. The X32 rack has only 16 xlr inputs (requires a stage box expansion for more). I also agree that their iPad app looks clumsy - I need to spend some time playing with it but not liking what I'm seeing. All I've heard about the X-Air stuff is the iPad app is terrible.

Soundcraft might be coming out with a Ui 24 (which might have 20 xlr inputs, and hopefully 8 aux outputs). The iPad app looks good from what I've seen online. This is one to watch for IMO.

Again, I know little about all these mixers and might very well change my opinion. I sure hope Mackie improves the reverb - that's the only thing making me want to look elsewhere.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 06:19:20 AM »
I had already invested in A&H gear before I sold my DL but replaced it directly with an A&H Qu-Pac with great success.
It's rock solid and has benefitted from numerous firmware updates since my purchase.
The iPad software has gone from clunky to pretty damn good over it's continued evolution.
Many killer features but one to really think about - easy, user friendly full control via the front panel should you leave your iPad at home (it's happened! :-[) or be in some wifi hell zone.
A very solid, reliable, expandable system - well worth a look:)

The older I get, the better I was!

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 06:34:53 AM »
Thank for the replies.

WK - no doubt the X32 is more powerful, more pro and offers a lot more options for expansion. It still only has 16 preamps so I would need the S16.

The DL32R provides the extra preamps and sends I need but it is mostly more of the same compared to the DL1608 (obvious exceptions being recallable gains and phantom power switchable on each channel).

At the moment I can get the DL32R for about the same price as the X32 Rack but an X32 and S16 are a lot more expensive.

I think it will come down to whether I want to trade off the familiarity and ease of use of the Mackie for the power and features packed into the X32.

stevegarris - thanks. It it were just preamps the DL32R would be the easy winner. The more I explore the X32 the more I like it - especially the options for effects. The DL is really lacking in this department.

robbocurry - thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out

Cheers

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
I am also toying with the idea of moving to the DL32 from the DL16 but have a few limitations still keeping me from pulling the trigger.  The biggest problem I see is that I can not hard wire an iPad to it. So if the router dies for any reason I'm up a creek, I can't put myself in that situation. A direct connect jack would easily solve this issue.  Additionally, I would like to see the FX upgraded .

On a good note, I would stay with the Mackie line as I have run literally hundreds of jobs flawlessly with the DL series and I feel the mackie app is far superior to the others for functionality and ease of use. The support and software upgrades have been steady and beneficial.

I run the mix for 2 other bands for 50+ shows a year, both have switched to the Mackie DL after seeing the results I got with mine.  Being that I now use their gear and no longer have to carry any gear other than my iPad it would be hypocrical to switch from what I have helped promote them to use.  When I have used other gear I was not overly impressed with the app, or the quality of the board. The X-32 had great features but I still believe it is built inferior.  I have had multiple mechanical problems with input jacks and faders.  The Midas M-32 seemed solider.

Since so much of my mixing has been for others...using their DL  ( I'm trying to wean off of playing myself these days) it seems to make little sense to invest in a piece of gear I won't use much. However, if the price stayed reasonable and the options I mentioned came to pass I would most likely upgrade, just to have the new toy.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
Hey Beno, I know I'm repeating myself (again) but if you're reading this you will have read the earlier posts in this thread and you must have noticed that you are loosing sales because of your sh$$ty f***ing reverb, including from me. I don't see much point in using an external reverb unit as you're going to be stuck with one patch all night. I suppose you could recycle that old 10u case you don't need anymore and have a rack for each patch!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »
Rdmitch I can see your dilemma regarding your recommendations. As far as "superior", "functionality" or "build quality" I would have to disagree with you on that. The DL1608 is mostly plastic while the X32 and X-air are metal short of trim. I heard more complaints about connector issues here than on Behringer sites. Functionality speaks for itself not even in the same league. UI is nothing to write home about especially "Glow and Grow" fortunately you still have your ears to compensate. Software adjustable preamps are IMHO overrated if you know your equipment. Hopefully you don't mix by adjusting preamps that's what faders are for once a proper gain structure is in place. The upgrades have been once a year for point releases hopefully Mackie can retain that pace.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:30:52 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 08:11:32 PM »
While the x32 is a nice board, I am not looking for a piece of furniture. My comparison would be limited to compact or rack mounted units. If it was for fixed installation or studio use, I would be right there with you on the X-32 or M-32 or Presonus.  While the Mackie may have more plastic components, I have yet to have input jacks pull out of the chassis or knobs break off under minimal pressure. Both these have happened on Behringer mixers. Frankly, while B. makes a well prices product with loads of features, I personally have had very bad luck with their products  (except my dual 15 band eq  that has lasted forever) and even worse luck with warranty repairs. Their X-rack series is loaded with great features, but look how long it took to get released after promises made. The original app was horrid and updates have been far between. It just seems like their fulfillment of promises is not as much of a priority to them as I would like to see. 

I have dragged, dropped, abused my pod DL in just about every state on the eastern coast and have yet to have a failure. I still always carry my spare Yamaha and always will recommend a back up board.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:45:48 AM »
Hi Fluddman,

I still have and use a Yamaha 01V96, since it is installed in a venue.
Mostly I keep it in case there is a show that really requires physical faders.

For everything else I use A DL1608(smaller, more portable shows) or
the DL32R(bigger, more complex shows).
Recallable preamps are great for 'variety' shows where a new act is on stage every 10~15 minutes, and you have time for soundcheck.

With all three of these mixers I have a spare mixer available, just like back in analog days.
With the DL1608 I carry a spare Ipad.
With the DL32R I also carry a spare router.

I've done three shows in a local venue with an A&H QU16.  Very nice mixer.
You might want to consider the rack version.

The original Presonus was pretty limited.  The new rack-mount version looks interesting.

I have yet to have my hands on a Behringer, though I know several folks who are happy with them.
Good feature set, but not my cup of tea...

I like the Mackie app, but would find any of them at least usable.

Hope this helps! 

Good health,  Weogo

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:13 AM »
The lack of any improvement to the reverb and delay is probably the main drawback.

The Behringer X32 rack is the obvious alternative - much better effects but I don't like its app (though admittedly I haven't spent much time with it). The Mackie app seems far superior and that is critical when you don't have physical faders.

Anybody had good or bad experiences in stepping up from the 1608.

Fluddman, full disclosure that this reply is an unabashed prop for the X32 Rack in particular.

An X32 Rack is technically a larger mixer than a DL1608 with the additional 6 aux inputs & outputs as standard across all the X32 line, though not full mic pres these can still be useful for incorporating line ins, DI, or analog sub mixers, and furthermore rerouted to channels 17-32 for the additional processing benefits of those channels. Of course there is the additional cost from rental or purchase from the choice of a suitable expansion unit if 17plus mic pres are required, at a future time when necessary.
I offer from experience, testament and personal conviction to the absolute superior speed that the UI of the X32Mix and MixingStation apps provide, in particular navigating beyond 16 channels to a full 32 mics, 6 aux, and minimum 4 stereo effects. While I have waxed poetic to the design of MF Classic in this and other forums, the MF UI suffers in navigation speed along with other similarly designed manufacturers remote UI apps with the constant lateral channel navigation swiping of a full 32 plus channels. It is the combination of the superior navigation speed, access to facilities, and proven stability & reliability that IMO, the Music Group X/M Mix and the 3rd party MixingStation Donate apps prove superior to any and all remote product design specific apps for digital audio performance mixers, though not meant or to be taken as a slight against the Mackie MF Classic / DL32 apps, still a work of art in product design, of course IMHO.

In regards to the effects comparison, there is no amount of window dressing or doctoring to the DL effects, reverb in particular, that can compete with the
X/M32 series. Thought to ponder; I propose that once upon a time that the design, manufacture and sale of a rack box with the X/M32 resident insert effects/
processors at the current USD street price of an X32 Rack would have been possible. Point being that the quality and choice of the X/M32 FXs are so far superior to the DL line and are worthy of consideration alone.

I would suggest that whatever upgrade path you may pursue, that the DL1608 would/could be your backup option, situation allowing of course.
Cheers

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for your very very useful input.

I gotta say I love my little DL1608 but its looking less and less likely that I am going to go for its big brother. And James, for sure it would be my backup.

The X32 rack just offers so much more value for money, more detailed control, and so much more potential for expansion. Not to mention the effects which are in a totally different class.

I must say though I love the design of the DL32R with the patch bay out front, and the app is elegant and simple enough that people and drummers can manage their own in ears mixes once it is basically set up for them.

I haven't pulled the pin yet but I am swinging heavily toward the X32 Rack. Which ever way I go I am looking forward to digital trim, individual 48v phantom, more channels and more aux sends. Everything else will be a bonus!

Thanks all.

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Here is a small advantage the DL32R has over the X32 rack. All the functions of the DL32R can be controlled by the iPad app but I don't think this is true for the X32 Rack - I noticed early on that you can't set up a stereo link using the iPad app (I assume you have to use the front panel).

Not a deal breaker but significant if you are used to doing everything on the iPad.

Cheers

DigtheDL

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »
I bought my DL when they first came out and it's been a great board.  The band I'm in does a lot of shows in venues that have their own sound systems.  We also open for regional acts so we get to play through a lot of different systems.  Whenever we run into a Mackie, Presonus or Behringer board they all sound great.  But I've noticed that whenever there's a Behringer X32 board or some variant, including the X18, the sound to my ears is much better sounding then what I hear from the Mackie or Presonus boards.  Low end is tighter and punchier, high end is smoother with better definition.  Our FOH sound man goes between the different system apps seamlessly, and he's noticed the sonic difference with the Behringer boards as well.  Even systems with low budget speakers sound great with a Behringer board.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade my DL1608.  It works great for us. But when I do I'm going to take a serious look at Behringer.

Fluddman, if you haven't had a chance to hear an X18 in action I would strongly suggest you do before you buy.