Author Topic: Quirky day out with MF 4  (Read 1981 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Quirky day out with MF 4
« on: December 13, 2015, 04:20:55 AM »
Had my first day out with Master Fader 4.  I'm running an ipad 2 (Not an Air 2.) and a ipad mini.  (Pre-retina display.)   Not recent equipment and it might be part of the problem.  Don't know yet.  Anyway, I'm running ios 9.2 on all with my iphone as a backup.  RTA only seems to display on one device at a time.  And at the end of the day, it seemed like the mini was running as a master and the 2 was running as a slave.  I had just backed up the running show to my mini and the 2 wouldn't back it up.  Maybe because there weren't any changes?  (Does it do that?)   I'm not sure if any of this is a quirk.  None of it caused me any functional problems.  Like the new toys, but the process speed of these older ipads might start to be causing some small problems.  Will need more time on the mixer to see if any of this is a problem in the long run.  In the mean time will be watching for strange behavior to see if I got the issues right or just that I didn't get them right.  I've got a panel discussion next Tuesday afternoon that will tie up just about every mic and desk stand and mic cord I own.  Did one like this last year and probably the hardest problem is clearing security at the justice center.   

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
Re: Quirky day out with MF 4
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
There is just one RTA as it's done in hardware on the mixer. So no matter how many iPad you have connected, only one mix can show the RTA at a time. There is a setting called RTA Follow that automatically enables the RTA as you select different outputs. For most users using a single iPad this works as expected. But if you add multiple iPad, you will likely want to disable RTA follow on all iPad but your primary. So then as you select different outputs on those iPad, it won't steal the RTA out from under your primary. It may sound a bit confusing but once you think of the RTA as on the mixer hardware, it makes sense. We're updating the manual now with 4.0 info like this but it isn't quite done yet.

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing about the backups.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Quirky day out with MF 4
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »
Thanks for the info on RTA.  Will disable it on one ipad.  I'm not too sure about the backups either, but there is a possibility that I don't understand them on multiple ipads either.  I've got a panel discussion this Tuesday and should be able to clarify either my understanding or what the issue is.  I'm really not sure if it's a problem or just the way it works.  What I am sure is that it doesn't present a functional problem in either case.