Author Topic: Master Fader 4.0 Released!  (Read 31001 times)

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: Master Fader 4.0 Released!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Yup. That was it. The app defaults to the DL1608 Demo mode. Once I switched it to the DL32R Demo mode, I was able to load my shows. :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 12:58:22 AM »
I loaded 4.0 on my iPad air, and imported my shows from 3.x. However, when I try to load a show, nothing happens. Do I have to connect to the mixer before I can load a show in 4.0?

You likely have the wrong device selected. The show  and snapshots are unique for DL1608 and DL32R. So make sure the right device is selected matching the show.

Also loading a show does not change the mixers current state. You need to recall a snapshot from that show.

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »
So have just got around to download and have a crack at demo mode, and wish to offer a few comments after initial impressions.

Scrolling in mixer overview is significantly hampered on an iPad Mini 1. Newer, later generation Fruitware should address this.

I do believe the intended quick assign choice was "Conga", and not " Congo". The latter, a republic located on the African continent. The former, a percussive instrument with ancestral origins from the African continent. Minor work around.

Dare I say, as I duck and cover, that there would appear to be no difference with the effects. Can only hope.

Gratis! Always a bonus.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
I've just been playing with MF4 at home but now looking forward to a busy weekend of both playing and tech-ing.

MF4 seems to work fine on both my iPad3s, there is a little more delay on fader response but certainly nothing that'll disrupt the flow.

Whoever is responsible for the switching from VCA master to channels and back, please take a bow and this manly hug (u) as this will make a significant difference to what's possible. Very, very elegant.

Friday is a low pressure tech-ing Irish Country (regular) gig during which I can have a fiddle about with new possibilities, Saturday I'm playing support and tech-ing the main Irish trad band, Sunday I have six guitar bands that I'm not familiar with so that'll be the proper test.

I'll try to report back.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2015, 10:24:49 PM »
So do you reckon I should update my iPads (2 & 3) Sean? I'm using MF Classic (or 2.1) at the moment and resisted V3, I didn't really need the extra bells and whistles and the sluggishness of the display put me off, not looked at it since March :)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
I'm really glad that Mackie decided to make this a totally separate app, rather than an upgrade.

Doing this allowed me to use 4.0 on my Friday corporate job and than Saturday when I had to
do a regular band job ( where I just  connect to their 1608 with my iPad ), I could just open the old app and easily
be off and running with the older version.
This saved some major headaches, since these guys I mix for are very slow to do the updates.
It's amazing how many Mackie DL users don't even know the software was updated. There are quite a
few people I know that are still running the original program.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
I'm really glad that Mackie decided to make this a totally separate app, rather than an upgrade.

Thanks. We realized with 3.0 that many users needed the flexibility to upgrade on their own time so we made 4.0 a separate app. Glad it proved helpful to you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:14:42 PM by beno »

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
Thanks. We realized with 3.0 that many users needed the flexibility to upgrade on their own time so we made 4.09 a separate app. Glad it proved helpful to you.
4.09? Has there been a fix released? I have 4.02, and I don't see an upgrade in the App Store.
Mackie Junkie

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
Nope. Typo. Fixed above.

ijpengelly

• Knight
  • Weekend Warrior
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
Mr Spoons :-), I'm running an iPad2 and MF4 seems to work pretty well on it. If you still don't need the bells and whistles then you may stay put, however, its worth downloading a copy to play with.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:36 PM »
Thanks, I've done that. I'll probably hold off getting fully into MF4 until I have used my X32 Rack for a few gigs, it will be nice to have the simplicity and super small footprint of the DL with a few extra features as I intend to continue using it on my small bar gigs and as a backup for the foreseeable future. I'll probably migrate over to the X32 for a while until I have it nailed but I don't see the DL becoming redundant for a good while yet. It's great that Mackie have left us the option of Master Fader 3 (which I have bypassed TBH) as well as MF Classic and MF4. A truly inspired piece of planning, thanks Beno and the DL team :). Now an ability to run dual firmwares on the DL without forcing a re-install every time I changed would be the icing on the cake (MF Classic when I have a newb running FOH and MF4 for me....). Not a biggie TBH as I can do it the day before the gig though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:31:53 PM by sam.spoons »

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
Mini update:

Didn't get past Friday with v4, lots of nice ideas but the lag is back (iPad3). Not so much as would wreck the gig but too much to want to continue.  The bigger deal  however was that EQ (and other) presets that I saved on the day,  having not been able to import my old ones,  were nowhere to be found when required.

So,  flipped back to v3 for the rest of the weekend and all was cool.

Mr Spoons,  v3 is pretty much rock solid cor me and I know your router is identical,  I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find something to like in it.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:18 PM »
Will maybe give it another try. I did use it on your DL at Manchester Irish Fest this year of course.

I gather the lag is worse on V4 than V3 then?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
There was a slight improvement in the lag with MF 4 on my iPad 2, but not enough in my perception. MF 4 runs very well on my Air 2. Obviously due to the faster CPU and more onboard system ram. I think in a pinch you could get by okay running MF4 on an iPad 2 or 3 though, if you had to.

I guess "the old lag issue" is still all in the eyes of the beholder. For me it's an issue. For someone else, maybe not so.  8)   
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
I'm running MF4 on my ipad 2 and mini-ipad.  (pre-retina display.)  I'm not having a problem with lag, but then I didn't have a problem before either.  If I upgrade my ipad, I might feel it more, but performance wise I'm fine with it.