Author Topic: Master Fader 4.0 Released!  (Read 30735 times)

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
Re: Master Fader 4.0 Released!
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 01:24:29 AM »
Will maybe give it another try. I did use it on your DL at Manchester Irish Fest this year of course.
and very effectively too.
I gather the lag is worse on V4 than V3 then?
definitely,  it was like meeting a drunk relative in a bar, low level pain in the ass  but for some reason you can't just walk away.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2015, 03:33:33 AM »
That analogy made perfect sense in my head earlier.  Suffice it to say the lag was particularly annoying.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2015, 09:52:18 AM »
I got the analogy, but did your iPad spend the rest of the evening talking to god on the great white telephone (as said relative did)?

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
 ;D

The band fell apart,  timing all over the place, singer dropped his trousers and started fighting with the audience. After the gig the iPad took to it's case for two days with a 2800mah power block.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
I finally got the chance to upgrade my DL32R to 4.0. I played with it for a while, and was unable to find any of the issues previously reported here. It worked quite well with my 2 iPad Air 2's. In fact, when I adjusted a fader on one iPad, it moved in sync on the other iPad. I like the changes. It works well for me.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »
iPad Air 2's.

That's the key! Faster CPU and more onboard memory. I use an Air 2 and iPad 2, world of difference between them running MF 4.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »
Another bug Beno!!! I thought I'd persevere with MF4 as I like a lot of the new features. Did an anti-nuclear public meeting last night. They wanted a recording... I recorded 2 hours 40 minutes but when I put it on the mac this morning it's normal up until 1H16min then disaster, the remaining 1H24mins consists of one word repeated over and over and over again and ironically that word is "continue"! Brilliant, 12gb still free so that's not the problem. I won't go on about the miserably low recording level... I'm used to that. I've done loads of recordings with earlier versions of the app, first time it's f***d up like this. Thanks Mackie, great progress. It's back to MF2 or (maybe 3) I reckon until I can afford that Qu-pac if I don't loose all my clients first.

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:41 PM »
Strange. Sorry you lost that presentation. Can't think about what that is. I honestly think it was an iOS issue and not Master Fader as we actually don't do a whole lot with the recording. We are just triggering iOS to do it.

The recroding level is easily adjusted using the recording level sliders and/or by changing the recording source from pre fader to post fader or any other send that allows you more control.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I did push the trims to full on but as there are no recording meters I hesitate to go any further, better under recorded than distorted. The docked ipad3 is running ios 8.1.3 since I don't really want to update it any further as it's slow enough already. Could this have any bearing on the problem?

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »
Not sure about the iOS version.
But good point about the meters.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
Strange. Sorry you lost that presentation. Can't think about what that is. I honestly think it was an iOS issue and not Master Fader as we actually don't do a whole lot with the recording. We are just triggering iOS to do it.

The recroding level is easily adjusted using the recording level sliders and/or by changing the recording source from pre fader to post fader or any other send that allows you more control.
Sorry Beno but I've been giving this some thought and your reply just doesn't hack it. You sell your app as having the ability to record and when it fails you just blame apple. This is live sound, you can't repeat it. I loose a recording, it's lost forever (like my client). The record button lives in your app, the whole thing is your responsibility. If you can't make it work don't advertise it. It's reminiscent of the white noise problem in MF2. For a year or more you peddled a feature, the ipad channel, that could blast your clients victims with white noise with no warning. That did my reputation no good (and I only let it happen once). So now we can't rely on playback (see my post in http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1146.0) or recording... Please get your act together.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:37:04 PM by pytchley »

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »
Hi Pytchley,

Bummer about losing the recording. 
Are you on a DL1608 or DL32R?
My first recordings with the DL32R had issues, and it turned out to be the hard disk drive.
Am now recording on high-quality USB thumbdrives.

Back when I worked on a remote recording truck, we had every track going to a hard disk recorder.
And we recorded a two-track CD live, that was given to the performer at the end of the evening.
And we recorded a second two-track feed to a cassette deck.  My old boss wanted to see tape rolling and meters bouncing.
At one event the HD recorderd died, and also the CD recorder.
We quickly dubbed the cassette to a CD for the performer, and the cassette recording was later dumped to a computer, massaged a little and was that night's performance recording, which was being aired later that month.

For anything critical, I always have a backup two-track recorder going.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
Thanks Weogo, it's a 1608. I like to have backups for everything when I can. Didn't bother this time as it was a long way from home and unpaid so I squeezed the gear into my car... another lesson learned even at my age!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »
BenO your legal disclaimer tells a different story, Mackie is using a third party software Archwave for USB recording and playback. No doubt modified by Mackie.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:16:02 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 09:40:29 AM »
It seems to have gone very quiet here.

So, still fairly content on MF3 here for the reasons specified, any danger of developments that might tempt me onto 4? I've had a play and it's got some useful additions but not enough to update an iPad for.