Author Topic: 3.2.3 strange delay in controls response  (Read 3396 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
3.2.3 strange delay in controls response
« on: December 15, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »
I just set up for a concert last night, and saw a strange behavior ... when I push up the fader for an input channel, there is almost a one second delay before we hear the input volume respond.   All 16 input channels behaved this way, leading me to believe that this is a communication problem.

I was running disconnected at the time, and it did take me a few tries to get the DL to show up as active on the wifi.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

I am hoping this is just a transient issue and once we reboot all devices it will clear up.   I will also check tonight to see if the connected iPad sees the same delay.

I am running MF 3.2.3, iOS 9.1, and using an Airport Express, 5Ghz band.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: 3.2.3 strange delay in controls response
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »
Since this was a setup and not a performance why didn't you just reboot on the spot. To me that would be SOP. That minute is well spend. Also it's always good to state the hardware you are asking help about. Which iPad?  ;) The delays could also be caused by interference on the 5 Gb band, did you check what the band looked like traffic wise?
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
Sounds for sure like a comm issue.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
I didn't notice it last night during the performance, so I'll chalk this one up to a slow iPad.

I did notice, however, that the Master Fader UI in general seems to have a big of lag in it ... and the docked iPad had a really hard time staying connected, and in fact was disconnected for most of the performance.  Had I not been recording on it I would have pulled it out of the dock and relaunched MF.  I will follow up in the other thread related to this issue.

I hope MF4 fixes some of these issues ... reliability issues will hurt this product if it they are not resolved.

Thanks.  John

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
just curious....what model ipad are you using ?

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »
I have two iPad 2s, 32gB, wifi only.  They are as old as my DL, ~ 3 yrs. 

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
Many people,with older iPads, myself included had issues with lagging. Mine were solved with an iPad Air which has a faster processor. The prior update seemed to help a lot of people.
A reboot and trying connected or with a decent router may be the first step to solve the issue

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
I saw more of the same on our second concert night ... even the solo button had a lag in it .. at least a half second. 

Is anyone else seeing this?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
Overall lag was quite noticeable with my iPad 2 running MF 3.X docked to the DL or wireless, obviously due to its slower CPU and lower count onboard system memory. My Air 2 worked just fine with 3.X and now 4. I’ve even noticed a slight improvement on my iPad 2 with the update to MF 4.

Depending on your own experiences, the lag is a pain, or no big deal. It was annoying for me, so the iPad 2 got relegated to permanent dock duty and I run the DL exclusively with the Air 2.  MF 4 is a big improvement in many areas including lag.

Now if I could justify acquiring an iPad Pro? A9 CPU, 4GB onboard system ram, etc?   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:07:37 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler