Author Topic: Getting an app off an iDevice  (Read 5756 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Getting an app off an iDevice
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »
Has anybody successfully extracted an older version of an app from an iPad (or other iDevice) running iOS8 or 9? There were long discussions on here when MF3 proved to be a bit slow on older iPads about how to revert to an older version. The guys on the X32 forum are going through the same stuff just now as the latest releases of X32-Mix has a few bugs. The problem for one guy is that he doesn't have an older version saved anywhere except on his second iPad which he hasn't synced yet. He's tried a raft of iOS file manager type apps to no avail and I've just tried deleting it from iTunes to see if syncing an iPad with the old version will prompt iTunes to copy the app back of the iPad..... Any ideas?

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Getting an app off an iDevice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
And from the way everyone seems to talk, the X32 is perfect and all of Mackie's mixers are crap.  You sure you want help from us?

Seriously, If you have kept an older version of your saved files, you should be able to retrieve it from that by restoring your ipad to that one after deleting the new version.  I'm assuming that Behringer made this as an upgrade instead of an additional app.  (Mackie made their latest version of Master Fader a brand new app so it wouldn't overwrite the previous version.  Quite slick.)  You could hit Behringer up to provide both versions as separate apps.  Outside of that, I suspect you might have to wait for patches.  Hope your problem is more an inconvenience than anything else. 

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
Welcome to the world of "I know best how you should use your iPad", the ill conceived Apple prison iOS. The backup according to Apple unfortunately is a all or nothing concept circa 1960. It fits their philosophy that you should know nothing of a file systems. As they attempt to encroach on more and more of traditional computing tasks this falls way short of being useful. Recent point my wife learned the hard way when she upgraded to a 6S from a 5. Best Buy's attempt to transfer all her pertinent data fell short. Months of memo's and music recording files never made it using Apples built in apps. I fortunately made a backup to iTunes but Apple provides no selective restore only 3rd party apps. The one I have was just broken by Apple recently with a update to iTunes with a new USB driver. Reminds me of Microsoft's answer to DrDos of "Dos wasn't finished until DrDos was broken". They paid dearly for that policy. Another good example of not updating unless absolutely necessary. I just upgraded to iOS 9.2 from 8.4.3 against my better judgement. Results, slower running apps, great improvement Fruit  >:( . Whatever 3rd party app you use make sure that it works with your versions. What a wonderful warm and fuzzy feeling from Apple for their customers. The replacement of apps was tested a while back and IIRC doesn't work since the paranoids tie it to a specific piece of hardware. It's to protect you from yourself. So if you don't have a backup you're screwed.
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
And from the way everyone seems to talk, the X32 is perfect and all of Mackie's mixers are crap.  You sure you want help from us?

Not from me Wynn, you all know I love my DL as much as I love my X32s :) 'orses fer courses....

Seriously, If you have kept an older version of your saved files, you should be able to retrieve it from that by restoring your ipad to that one after deleting the new version.  I'm assuming that Behringer made this as an upgrade instead of an additional app.  (Mackie made their latest version of Master Fader a brand new app so it wouldn't overwrite the previous version.  Quite slick.)  You could hit Behringer up to provide both versions as separate apps.  Outside of that, I suspect you might have to wait for patches.  Hope your problem is more an inconvenience than anything else.

Yeah, done all that but thanks anyway (and well impressed by Mackie's decision there). BTW you can retrieve an old version from the trash/recycle bin after an update as long as you don't empty same.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:05 PM »
Welcome to the world of "I know best how you should use your iPad", the ill conceived Apple prison iOS. The backup according to Apple unfortunately is a all or nothing concept circa 1960. It fits their philosophy that you should know nothing of a file systems. As they attempt to encroach on more and more of traditional computing tasks this falls way short of being useful. Recent point my wife learned the hard way when she upgraded to a 6S from a 5. Best Buy's attempt to transfer all her pertinent data fell short. Months of memo's and music recording files never made it using Apples built in apps. I fortunately made a backup to iTunes but Apple provides no selective restore only 3rd party apps. The one I have was just broken by Apple recently with a update to iTunes with a new USB driver. Reminds me of Microsoft's answer to DrDos of "Dos wasn't finished until DrDos was broken". They paid dearly for that policy. Another good example of not updating unless absolutely necessary. I just upgraded to iOS 9.2 from 8.4.3 against my better judgement. Results, slower running apps, great improvement Fruit  >:( . Whatever 3rd party app you use make sure that it works with your versions. What a wonderful warm and fuzzy feeling from Apple for their customers. The replacement of apps was tested a while back and IIRC doesn't work since the paranoids tie it to a specific piece of hardware. It's to protect you from yourself. So if you don't have a backup you're screwed.

Tell me about it WK :( But I'd still not consider going back to Windoze :) MS are every bit as bad as Apple in their own way.....

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 01:24:58 AM »
I'm only talking about iOS not OS X xx where they had no choice ironically. Steve couldn't convince the world to be paranoid  ;D MS doze is under watchful thumb of corporate World a much better scenario.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:27:02 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
 :mrgreen:

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
For non-technical users, I've already recommended a tablet instead of a computer.  I still think that for many people a tablet is enough.  You've got video, email and internet in a very portable format.  That's enough for many people. 

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »
Yup, no question that non techies would usually do better with a tablet, and for them the "Apple Way" is pretty much perfect, 99% of the time your iDevice works just as it should with none of the messing about so beloved of us computer geeks  :face palm: It's when you want to use them for more technical purposes that the "Apple Way" sometimes gets in the way of a perfect experience.......

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
We are unfortunately talking about functionality not form factor. When a company decides that it knows better what it should do with your data I draw the line. That's the Apple way. Yes even the casual user wants to save information and have it available or transferable to the next device. It's after all a piece of gear that has been known to fail. Or in the Apple way replaced yearly.  ;D
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
Like most here, I have more than one iToy. Wouldn’t even think of using any of them for other than DL control. And occasionally listening to music. Playing back audio for dances using a touch screen is a royal pain in the butt for me sometimes. I think for myself, using iToys is a necessary evil. I'm more comfortable using a laptop for most tasks.

Data storage and backup seems to be so much easier on a conventional computer when they are working properly of course. I think all tech, no matter what kind or make it is, has its good and bad days. It seems no one is really exempt from annoying issues now and then, in this day and age. 

Maybe I'm just getting older. x( The younger generation makes it all seem so easy and effortless.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:25:16 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
I can't really comment on tablets other than iPads, I do have an Asus 'droid, bought as a backup to my iPads for when I'm using my X32 but I haven't got to grips with it yet (and probably never will TBH as I have just bought a 3rd iPad, a mini2). My first iPad2 is 4 years old and works just fine. Battery life is good and aside from a small scratch on the screen it looks and works virtually like when it was new. My son seems to upgrade his 'droids and computers on a two yearly cycle (though he'd do it sooner if he could).

I can also comment on Apple Mac computers and my experience with them has been rather better than with MS products post XP (the best OS Microsoft ever produced). They're not perfect but, compared with the issues I've had to deal with on recent PCs belonging to my wife and and my best buddy they just work, straight out of the box. The MacBook Pro I'm typing on as I speak is 4 years old and still feels and looks pretty much like new, battery life is a little shorter than it was (around 20% down) and it doesn't feel quite as fast as it used to but, apart from a failed Seagate HDD a couple of years ago I have had to do nothing to it. Given that my previous two laptops had a battery life of 30-40 mins and 90 mins respectively when new, felt cheap (even through they were't) in comparison to the MacBook and both died in less than 3 years (and that's before I talk about Windoze), I won't be going back to windows based machines anytime soon.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 07:27:15 PM »
KM, I must be in a different place to you with iPads and computers I guess as, while I prefer a keyboard to type on and agree that file management is easier on a computer if you need to do something other than the 'standard' app method, for anything music related and many other things (reading ebooks, showing video content/catch up TV etc) the iPad wins hands down for me. I probably use my iPads and MacBook roughly equally.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
KM, I must be in a different place to you with iPads and computers I guess as, while I prefer a keyboard to type on and agree that file management is easier on a computer if you need to do something other than the 'standard' app method, for anything music related and many other things (reading ebooks, showing video content/catch up TV etc) the iPad wins hands down for me. I probably use my iPads and MacBook roughly equally.
That's for sure.  ;) My iPads come home from the gig (not by themselves, although that would save time carrying them around. LOL) and they're put on the shelf until next time, or used when there's important updates. I have actually used an iPad for a quick live audio recording with my iO Dock, occasionally, rather than the laptop, but I do prefer the laptop/desktop for most daily use.

Underneath it all, there was and is the cool factor, of running the 1608 with an iPad or other iDevice from any where in the venue, though. That's convenience! Don't think it would be too productive or convenient trying to walk around with the laptop at a venue even if it could connect wirelessly to the 1608.  :facepalm:

I guess I'm just old fashioned.  :-[

All that being said, if I had the bucks available I might just pop for an iPad Pro though!  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:19:58 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 12:47:15 AM »
OK then convince the Fruit that they need to enter the 21st Century by providing backup of your PERSONAL data based on the app. and selective restores. That's the least  they can do. Please also emphasize that it's your data and NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS like their iCloud gimmick.

Happy New Year and don't let the power hungry take away your freedom or invade your privacy.
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:48:58 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS