Author Topic: New mini mini mini jack on the next range of Apple products.  (Read 2804 times)

Kev tyler

• Knight
New mini mini mini jack on the next range of Apple products.
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:06:33 PM »
Hi guys

Has anyone been invited to sign a petition to persuade Apple from changing the diameter of its mini jack audio out on future products, on the grounds "it will render every piece of gear we own useless"?

What a joke, if Apple go smaller, an adaptor will save the day yes?

Kev

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: New mini mini mini jack on the next range of Apple products.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
I've not heard about this one Kev but I think it would be a major PITA, and to what end (other than to try to get everybody to buy new "Apple" cables, earbuds etc)?

Kev tyler

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Here it is

And while they are talking about lightning to audio,

Lightning to lan would be nice

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/623068/iPhone-7-Lightning-Connector-Headphone-3-5mm-Jack

:)

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:59 PM »
It cracks me up how up in arms people are about the elimination of the 3.5mm plug. There are already developers designing Lightning version of their products. And another article just said they'll ship the new iPhone with either Lightning buds or BlueTooth buds. And yes, there will be plenty of low cost lightning to 3.5mm adapters out there. The trade off will be more space for battery in the phone and the speculation thus far is that it will be totally waterproof. The size of the jack may seem inconsequential from the outside, but there was a recent interview with Jonny Ive on 60 minutes which made it very clear that every micrometer of space of the iPhone is heavy exploited to jam in all that tech along with the battery. I'm sure they could use the extra room. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't have switched to Lighting from the 30 pin connector or changed from SIM to Micro SIM.

I'm all for moving forward with technology. It may be a slight annoyance initially, but that's progress. Frankly phono jack technology sucks. It's been around since the inception of the the telephone and leave a lot to be desired. That's why higher end "pro audio" gear employee more XLR connector and less 1/4". 1/4" connections get flaky faster and are more prone to breakage.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
So they're not planning to design a new audio connector but to do away with one entirely from the iPhone!

I've just bought an iPad Mini2 and will probably upgrade my iPhone 5S to a 6S in spring then I'll be done faffing for a few years (though I say that every time I upgrade.....)

Fluddman

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:42:01 AM »
Have a look at the new macbook - it just has a usb-c port and a mini jack. You need two adapters to connect to ethernet.

I've read speculation that the next one won't even have the mini jack as it limits how thin the body can be made. Bluetooth (as flaky as it can be sometimes) may be how you get audio out.

Also just read that the display and data connection is also likely to be just wireless!!

I know most sound guys would probably prefer 'wired' but wireless is clearly the way Apple are heading.

Cheers

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
There was a discussion in 'another place' regarding the complete lack of wired connection from the iPad. It is possible to achieve but requires 4 bits of kit, Camera connection kit, USB-Etthernet adapter, powered USB hub and it's accompanying PSU. Plus all the relevant cables..... A real dogs dinner, then after all that is is distinctly flakey  :facepalm:

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 07:36:29 PM »
So they're not planning to design a new audio connector but to do away with one entirely from the iPhone!

I've just bought an iPad Mini2 and will probably upgrade my iPhone 5S to a 6S in spring then I'll be done faffing for a few years (though I say that every time I upgrade.....)

According to the article, the audio connection will be via the Lightening cable or wifi, so you'll still have a wired connection if needed.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
There will no longer be an analogue audio output. Apple did away with the analogue line output when they changed from 30 pin to Lightning, now they're considering doing away with headphone out leaving only digital audio I/O.

edit :- IIRC the 30 pin had an analogue input too.......
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:42:37 PM by sam.spoons »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »
I'm with Greg on this it's about time something was done about this awful connector. Apple better also get with the low latency Bluetooth (X-apt) and USB instead of trying to  lock out the world.
Maybe we should block all Apple IP's from the Internet, give them a taste of their own medicine.  >:D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:40:51 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS