Author Topic: White noise on MF4?  (Read 6102 times)

K-Dubber

White noise on MF4?
« on: January 15, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
So I just updated my dl1608 to mf4 and was playing around trying to organise a stereo aux setup for our iems, having always on,y used a mono mix before now. Twice, out of the blue and for no apparent reason my ears were almost blown out by an incredibly loud white noise, despite my receiver pack and the master faders being set to a safe low level. Am now downgrading the desk back to mf3 firmware to see if it happens again (this time with earplugs OUT of my ears for safety). Anyone come across this?

Wynnd

• Master
Re: White noise on MF4?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:05:18 PM »
Don't think anyone had seen it with IEMs on Aux Outs.  Are your IEMs analog or digital?  Analog ones might have squelch issues.  (very white noise like.)  On the other hand, this might be unlikely to be caused by the IEMs themselves.  Might want to verify it's only the mixer.  I would test it by attaching a different mixer to all the AUX outputs and look for a jump on the VU meter letting you know if it's a particular channel.

K-Dubber

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:25:33 PM »
Thanks for reply.  I have no other mixer to test with, but never had that happen before. I was getting strange interference from the iems ONLY when trying the stereo mode. When I switched back to mono mode the background intereference was gone, and no white noise. This was back on mf3 firmware which I've been using for ages. IEMs are LD MEI ONE series. Two transmitters on differing frequencies.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
I'm assuming you didn't remove MF 4 from your ipad.  (Being it lives very happily with MF 3 installed too.)  I'd give MF 4 another shot.  On the off chance that you got a corrupted copy, I'd do the download all over again.

K-Dubber

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »
Thanks. Yes I will try it again, I was loving the copy/paste function on MF4 to make it easy to move mixes around. I'm really no scientist when it comes to music production, is there a reason why the output is noticeably quiter when in stereo mode compared to mono?

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:56:33 PM »
There is one other thing.  On the overview page, I think all the channel and output VU meters are active.  If the white noise is from the mixer, it should show up as a near max of the meter on that output.  And if it's coming from a different input, it should show up there too.  I rarely use that page, so hopefully I'm not remembering it wrong.  It might help you trace down the problem.  Good luck and let us know how things work out.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
Was any other output connected (speakers?). Did you use both units? Which iPad connected how? Your prior noise under MF3 was it only in stereo mode? I trust you are in Europe where the ~860 MHz range is legal? No mention of limiters in unit, would recommend limiting in DL1608. Hopefully we are not seeing a return of "White Noise" problem. Anyone else encounter this with MF4?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:43:46 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

K-Dubber

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »
I didn't have the main PA amp connected or powered up because I was working on a stereo iem mix so I just had my earphones in and the iem transmitters connected and powered up. I was using my connected iPad 4 which I've always used. No white noise in mf3, only mf4 however the interference was present in both versions but only in stereo mode. I always have a the limiter running on master fader but this white noise seemed to get past it, it was seriously loud. I don't want to be a drama queen but I literally could not get those earphones off quick enough, it was incredibly loud.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »
OK need to isolate source of noise first. Mixer or iem transmitter since the limiter didn't kick in. But can still be in the mixer. Which aux's are you using? Can you actually duplicate the problem ? What do you mean by interference in stereo mode? Can you describe it?
When in doubt KISS

K-Dubber

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 06:51:11 PM »
Yes I'm definitely going to try to get it to happen again, but not with my earphones in this time! It was on auxes 1&2 and 2&3, and it happened as I plugged a cable in to the aux output.

The stereo interference is hard to describe, in that it just doesn't sound as clear as the mono signal. It's like old radio interference, a wet sort of background noise. I wonder if it's just the stereo quality of the transmitters, it's not like they're high end or anything. I have contacted Ld systems to ask their opinions.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 07:49:05 PM »
I hope you meant 1&2 and 3&4 aux's. Yes you need to know how they send mono vs. stereo.
When in doubt KISS

K-Dubber

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:52:06 PM »
Whoops yes 1&2 and 3&4!

randy.debord

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »
Could it be that you have the oscillator patched in somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:22 AM »
Could it be that you have the oscillator patched in somewhere?

Welcome Randy but there is no oscillator in the DL1608 at least not intentionally.  :)
When in doubt KISS

randy.debord

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
Ok. I have the dl32r. Didn't realize the 1608 didn't have it. The oscillator function is new in 4