Author Topic: DL1608 rack conversion project?  (Read 13685 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
DL1608 rack conversion project?
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
I'm getting bored with this mixer, and a bit annoyed at how much desktop space it takes up.  The DL32R is a behemoth, and there is no smaller DL16R equivalent or I would have bought it already.

Has anyone tried converting the DL1608 or DL806 to a rack mount mixer?  It seems that 2U should do it.   I've partially disassembled my unit and noticed a few hard-soldered panels and ribbon cables ... but I haven't given it a serious attempt as yet.

I think it would be a fun project.

Thanks.  John
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:55:22 PM by Jkowtko »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL1608 rack conversation project?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
I hear you John, maybe we'll see something at NAMM next week. A re-layout of the board to resolve some of their grounding issues and a smaller form factor such as the Behringer XR series would put them back into the race. Did you ever dig into the XAP800 as a add-on or otherwise? The current cage is 8.5" square x 1" high IIRC. I never disassembled the analog or power section under the metal shield, If you do, take some pics and post them it will give some more info on this mixer. I have noticed that Mackie is starting to post schematics on some of their equipment ( :thu:) but current stuff is not there, too bad.
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
Re: DL1608 rack conversion project?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:59:57 PM »
We have two XAP800s and an XAP400 in our conf room down the hall here at work, I haven't looked around to see if we have any spares sitting in a closet. 

I checked out the XAP UI a while back after the last time you mentioned it, and it looked really clunky ... there's no way you could do real-time fading with it.  I'm not a mobile app developer so I don't think I would be able to improve on it.  However if someone has already built a UI for this box, maybe that's an option.

In the meantime I am reasonably happy with Master Fader and would be fine staying with the DL series if some of these issues could be overcome.

-- John

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
Although the XAP800 was never designed with live mixing in mind I have used it many times. It all depends on your work flow habits. If you find the need to ride faders, definitely not. It does however have a Macro mode which can be useful to execute many commands in sequence, something I haven't seen in the current crop of digital mixers. I also use it as a diagnostic tool and signal source, a lot cheaper and flexible than most tools out there if you can spare a 1U slot.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:03 PM »
John,
In the meantime I am reasonably happy with Master Fader and would be fine staying with the DL series if some of these issues could be overcome.

We've pretty much beat this thing to death, what issues are you referring to?
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »
John,

We've pretty much beat this thing to death, what issues are you referring to?

Form factor (2U rack is ideal), USB recording, extra ins/outs for monitor/break ... Things that the X18 has but are lacking on the DL1608.  I would have picked up a X18 already except that they don't allow offline programming like Master Fader does.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:23:14 AM »
I would have picked up a X18 already except that they don't allow offline programming like Master Fader does.
I haven't use it offline but V1.3 of X-Air edit (PC) has offline edit mode, so what is it missing?
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
I'm sorry ... I meant to say X32 Rack.   I would have picked up an X32Rack already if it weren't for two things actually:
 * no offline editing
 * chassis still to deep to fit into a shallow rack

The XAir series for whatever reason is a completely different animal ... maybe Behringer bought a company?  And the significant difference between features of the Android and iOS app designs concerns me -- especially when iOS lacks DCAs.  They will have to clean up their apps before I consider an XR18 ... but yes this would be a great small club mixer to pull out of the bag when needed.

So ... IMHO Mackie has a winner in the Master Fader app and its functionality on DL32R ... they just need to come up with a smaller format rack mixer to win me over Behringer's offerings.

In the meantime, I wouldn't mind tearing my DL apart to see if I can fit it in one of my Xracks.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
Thought about it as well but the analog section/input panel is the problem on size. You need access to the pre's gain knobs. That would be at least 3U. Maybe NAMM ? As is on a slide out rack tray it still takes 3U with the current unit. Same as the XR18.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 01:14:23 AM »

The XAir series for whatever reason is a completely different animal ... maybe Behringer bought a company?  And the significant difference between features of the Android and iOS app designs concerns me -- especially when iOS lacks DCAs.  They will have to clean up their apps before I consider an XR18 ... but yes this would be a great small club mixer to pull out of the bag when needed.

All home grown. Right now things are still being sorted out but my guess would be that V2.x will fix that. I currently won't recommend it and the lack of a manual makes it worse. The Wiki don't do it for me.  :( Lots of unhappy folks.

The DL32 without a wired solution is also a no-go.
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 01:17:51 AM »
Thought about it as well but the analog section/input panel is the problem on size. You need access to the pre's gain knobs.

Back panel: XLR, TRS, ethernet, power jack
Front panel: power/phantom switches and LEDs, gains, headphone, iOS jack

That should fit, no?

I would also like to add to the front panel some RCA outs jumped off LR outs, and if I had enough space, some A/B switches to add two more pairs of inputs to toggle with 13/14 and 15/16.

And, if the circuitry isn't different between 1-12 and 13-16, put combo jacks on all inputs.

Maybe even use XLR outs (or have XLR and TRS) for the Aux.

Again, it's a project, might as well see how much can be done.  The above enhancements are all basic electrical connections.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 04:57:38 AM »
Never had the analog section apart or even visible. If you want to split the I/O connectors from the pre's it would depend on the current connector type and whether the extra length would cause issues. Right now they are next to each other. I'm certain the 1-12 and 13-16 are different circuits. The connector board would be the largest at about 3.75", that puts it into the 3U size. Re-laying out the boards would not be a interesting project.

The above enhancements are all basic electrical connections.

Famous last words!  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:05:50 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 05:02:32 AM »
I'm sorry ... I meant to say X32 Rack.   I would have picked up an X32Rack already if it weren't for two things actually:
 * no offline editing
 * chassis still to deep to fit into a shallow rack

OK but the X32 has offline editing and depending on the "shallow rack" I see a range from 10.7", 12" 14.5". Since the rack is 11.3" I'd be inclined to take the 12" variety.
Then there is the DIY custom case right on the money. I make a lot of my own. This outfit is 15 min. away.   http://www.reliablehardware.com/.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:13:45 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »
Just to chip in ;)
The qu-pac doesn't do offline yet, but it's shallow rackable, Usb multi recordable, has 4 great fx, amm, ducking, has a very good iPad app, android control, expandable to 38 channels, is reliable and sounds great.
 :)
Have a nice day!
The older I get, the better I was!

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
Yes, that's a really nice unit, like the Behringer but fits in a shallow rack.   The price point is noticeably higher though so I had initially ruled it out as an option.  If the price drops this year and Behringer or Mackie doesn't improve their offering, that might be what I end up with.