Author Topic: Broken combo jack  (Read 2833 times)

pytchley

• Knight
Broken combo jack
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
After two and a half years use I've got my first material problem with my DL1608. One of my combo jacks has lost connection on it's tip. With a mono jack pushed right in there's no signal, pull it up a click and there is. Has anyone had to fix a similar problem and how hard was it? the XLR part seems fine.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Broken combo jack
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
Per chance that the TS plug is too long. I ran into this some time ago. Especially since pulling it out gets you connected. The alternative is no fun but do take pics in the analog section if you have to.
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »
I had some problems with the combo jacks on my first 1608. It was a very early released one. Mackie replaced the unit for me but it all started out when a jack got stuck in one of the combo jacks and I couldn't pull it out.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
replacing the connector is not difficult if you have good soldering skills and a few tools to disaasemble the unit. To me,
I would just not use that input with a 1/4, just use a direct box, more inconvenient, but better than wasting time on it.   

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:25 AM »
My DL1608 was still under warranty when I had a similar problem.  If it happened today, I would be getting the soldering iron out.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, Dan are you speaking from experience and has anyone else actually been there? I'd really like to disable the phantom power on some of the XLRs while I'm in there. Wonder how hard that would be.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
At best you will have to desolder the 6.8K resistor pair per XLR.
When in doubt KISS