Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

A Sign of Things To Come?

<< < (2/6) > >>

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 22, 2016, 03:13:58 AM ---I view this in the category of iSTUDIO, IO DOCK II and iTrack dock at double their price. Are you inferring that singer/songwriters and Duo's are less demanding? My interest are also not relevant here. I don't see the point of having a very limited control surface next to a iPad or Android tablet/phone.

--- End quote ---

I'm saying that, in general, their usage and needs are different. I can probably safely assume that the sonic quality will be as good or better than current Mackie offerings. In case you hadn't noticed, these devices do use a phone for the user interface, with the option of spinning a knob or poking a button if desired.

WK154:
"The iPad or Android Tablet/phone" was noticed. Why would someone need a button to select a channel to view a meter when all of them are there on the Phone/tablet? Just so you can turn a knob to adjust level!

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 22, 2016, 03:42:46 AM ---"The iPad or Android Tablet/phone" was noticed. Why would someone need a button to select a channel to view a meter when all of them are there on the Phone/tablet? Just so you can turn a knob to adjust level!

--- End quote ---

Tactile, "analog" controls like knobs and switches are much easier to use in a hurry or when you're trying to play with two hands and make an adjustment with the third hand that you don't have, all while trying to maintain a connection with the audience.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 22, 2016, 03:42:46 AM ---"The iPad or Android Tablet/phone" was noticed. Why would someone need a button to select a channel to view a meter when all of them are there on the Phone/tablet? Just so you can turn a knob to adjust level!

--- End quote ---

A further example ... I'm a keyboard player as well as a live sound engineer, and I really can see one of these in my keyboard rig to control my mix and personal monitor. During an actual gig, all I need is the ability to control relative levels. Things like EQ, etc., don't get touched. But, being able to set them to my liking and save them would be handy (I'm assuming that this app will be able to save mixes like Master Fader).

I don't see these as a replacement for a DL (or other) mixer for a band, or any situation where someone is handling FOH mixing. It's a special use system, and as such, I think it's pretty well thought out. In the real world in my region, there are a lot more solo/duo acts getting booked regularly than full bands, and these mixers, along with a pair of powered speakers, makes for a pretty nice system for this application.

Keyboard Magic:
In another relevant post with similar leanings, I mentioned that these might be the digital replacement for the VLZ series.

I agree, that for keyboardists, accordion players (myself) and soloists doing a one man band gig I think these new small format digital mixers would be the ideal replacement for this kind of scenario.

I currently use a 402-VLZ3 mixer for quick tweaks when I need to without fussing over a full size DL1608, especially when space is a big concern for some venues. I think this new digital platform would fit the bill perfectly. I can't see them being used for FOH mixing.

But I hope maybe Mackie is making changes in the right direction and possibly even there is a redesign in the works for the DL series mixers. NAMM will tell?  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version