Author Topic: A Sign of Things To Come?  (Read 11466 times)

Keyboard Magic

• Master
A Sign of Things To Come?
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
Anyone seen these yet? Maybe a 16 channel version is in the works?

http://mackie.com/node/609

Very interesting indeed!  :mrgreen:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: A Sign of Things To Come?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:29 PM »
No chance :) but the DL806's days are numbered.....

I wonder if we'll finally get a 'droid app for the DLs now?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »
Hope not this dumbed down Kindergarten mixer will never make it for serious work. I don't get it, they have a perfectly good platform to build on and now this? Goes along with the boom box product. Good they finally unshackled themselves from Apple with Android. One step forward and two back.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:42:18 AM »
Hope not this dumbed down Kindergarten mixer will never make it for serious work. I don't get it, they have a perfectly good platform to build on and now this? Goes along with the boom box product. Good they finally unshackled themselves from Apple with Android. One step forward and two back.

As I said elsewhere, the ProDX4 and ProDX8 look perfect for a certain market segment -- singer/songwriters and duos. Just because it doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's crap.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:13:58 AM »
I view this in the category of iSTUDIO, IO DOCK II and iTrack dock at double their price. Are you inferring that singer/songwriters and Duo's are less demanding? My interest are also not relevant here. I don't see the point of having a very limited control surface next to a iPad or Android tablet/phone. Not shown to make it work are the power brick and Wifi AP.
Kev they also forgot that FX foot-switch which makes it even more useless.  ;)

Correction: Only Bluetooth wireless connection no Wifi.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:51:38 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:24:51 AM »
I view this in the category of iSTUDIO, IO DOCK II and iTrack dock at double their price. Are you inferring that singer/songwriters and Duo's are less demanding? My interest are also not relevant here. I don't see the point of having a very limited control surface next to a iPad or Android tablet/phone.

I'm saying that, in general, their usage and needs are different. I can probably safely assume that the sonic quality will be as good or better than current Mackie offerings. In case you hadn't noticed, these devices do use a phone for the user interface, with the option of spinning a knob or poking a button if desired.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 03:42:46 AM »
"The iPad or Android Tablet/phone" was noticed. Why would someone need a button to select a channel to view a meter when all of them are there on the Phone/tablet? Just so you can turn a knob to adjust level!
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:05:25 AM »
"The iPad or Android Tablet/phone" was noticed. Why would someone need a button to select a channel to view a meter when all of them are there on the Phone/tablet? Just so you can turn a knob to adjust level!

Tactile, "analog" controls like knobs and switches are much easier to use in a hurry or when you're trying to play with two hands and make an adjustment with the third hand that you don't have, all while trying to maintain a connection with the audience.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:00 AM »

A further example ... I'm a keyboard player as well as a live sound engineer, and I really can see one of these in my keyboard rig to control my mix and personal monitor. During an actual gig, all I need is the ability to control relative levels. Things like EQ, etc., don't get touched. But, being able to set them to my liking and save them would be handy (I'm assuming that this app will be able to save mixes like Master Fader).

I don't see these as a replacement for a DL (or other) mixer for a band, or any situation where someone is handling FOH mixing. It's a special use system, and as such, I think it's pretty well thought out. In the real world in my region, there are a lot more solo/duo acts getting booked regularly than full bands, and these mixers, along with a pair of powered speakers, makes for a pretty nice system for this application.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:43:21 PM »
In another relevant post with similar leanings, I mentioned that these might be the digital replacement for the VLZ series.

I agree, that for keyboardists, accordion players (myself) and soloists doing a one man band gig I think these new small format digital mixers would be the ideal replacement for this kind of scenario.

I currently use a 402-VLZ3 mixer for quick tweaks when I need to without fussing over a full size DL1608, especially when space is a big concern for some venues. I think this new digital platform would fit the bill perfectly. I can't see them being used for FOH mixing.

But I hope maybe Mackie is making changes in the right direction and possibly even there is a redesign in the works for the DL series mixers. NAMM will tell?  ???
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »

Tactile, "analog" controls like knobs and switches are much easier to use in a hurry or when you're trying to play with two hands and make an adjustment with the third hand that you don't have, all while trying to maintain a connection with the audience.

That's why your third and fourth hand has been used for centuries called your feet. I guess Mackie forgot that part.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
That's why your third and fourth hand has been used for centuries called your feet. I guess Mackie forgot that part.

For most of us, even the feet are in use when playing ... I need one to stand one, the other for volume, sustain, and page turn. And two hands for playing. The musicians' body really does need a couple more arms/hands....
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:44:24 PM »

For most of us, even the feet are in use when playing ... I need one to stand one, the other for volume, sustain, and page turn. And two hands for playing. The musicians' body really does need a couple more arms/hands....

We're all getting on in age so let me suggest a bench and a Yamaha Montage. That way you can have a full orchestra live and do it all sitting down. Don't know what they're asking for one, bet it's not cheap.  :)
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
What a remarkable keyboard, just did some searching on it. Quite interesting. The 61 note Montage 6 has a suggested US retail price of $3499.00

Here's a link for any interested parties:

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/music_production/yamaha_montage_synthesizer/

And another with more details:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/16/yamaha-montage-synthesizer-debuting-at-2016-namm-show/

Enjoy!   :mrgreen:

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:23 AM »
We're all getting on in age so let me suggest a bench and a Yamaha Montage. That way you can have a full orchestra live and do it all sitting down. Don't know what they're asking for one, bet it's not cheap.  :)

I've finally settled on a Roland V-Combo VR-09 for my performance keyboard. It has exactly the things I need for what I play, and it's extremely lightweight (I think my keyboard stand weighs more than it does!). I have a bench, and a taller stool, but I hate sitting when I play live. I've cut my whole rig weight down to about 75lbs, and two trips from the car, and I'm down to about a 10 minute setup and teardown.

The Montage series starts at $3K, too rich for my blood at this stage of my so-called "career".

The PA is a different story. It still weighs most of a half-ton (although I've significantly cut the weight and size back there, too).
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.