Author Topic: Master Fader 4 Trouble  (Read 8278 times)

RickK59

• Initiate
Master Fader 4 Trouble
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:12:34 PM »
Hi, I've been using a DL32R for several months and really am happy with it. Did my first show Saturday with Master Fader 4 and encountered a bug. I have an IPAD Air 2 as the main mixer and a mini as backup. Started the show and went in start recording, which began correctly (it did default to 16 channels instead of 24 or 32 and I missed it so now I have no vocals on my recording).

However when I tried to go back to stop the recording after the first set it wouldn't bring up the recording display. It also wouldn't let me get to the Quick Access Panel. 

I was able to bring them up on my mini but they were very laggy and I had to hold my finger on them for a long time. anyone else experienced this?

Now post show without recording it seems to work properly but I'm afraid for my next show.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Master Fader 4 Trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »
welcome to the forum Rick,
I too use a DL32R but this problem sounds like a weak wi-fi connection to me.

RickK59

• Initiate
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
Hi Dan, I don't think it was wifi as every other function worked great. When I've had wifi issues before it would just drop sync with the head unit, this never happened. aside from the problem I described the Ipad worked flawlessly all night.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:28:22 AM »
hmmm, that is weird,

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:33 PM »
What version of iOS are you using? That may make a difference. I have a DL32R (and love it), and have made several successful recordings so far. However, I haven't yet tried recording with MF4 yet. So it's possible you found a bug.
Mackie Junkie

orkneyandy

• Initiate
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 03:29:40 PM »
Not come across that particular bug Rick, but if it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same as you  with the 16 channel default on my first DL32 gig recording and lost all my synths!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:49 PM »
We'll change the default to 32. Good catch.

The other bug occurs very rarely but I have seen it. Basically the navigation bar stops responding and none of the drop downs will work. We haven't been able to reliably reproduce so it's hard to fix. If anyone finds the magical combination to make it happen on demand, please let me know.

randy.debord

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »
I've had a similar problem on mf4 if you allow the iPad to go into screen lock. Since I have removed the screen lock the problem has disappeared. Another new issue I have found with mf4 is it seems to have more difficult time staying locked to the router. Mf3 was much better at this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chromatone

• Initiate
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »
Hello all,
 I'm seeing the "nav. bar" freeze and the "Drop downs locking" regularly!. I'm using MF4 with DL1608 and an Ipad Air running the latest OS., screen lock is definately disabled. I can't say what triggers it, but it usually occurs about 10 mins into sound check, when all sorts of things are being adjusted.
Also, last time out, half way through the evening, with hands well away from any controls, there was a sudden increase of gain somewhere in the aux o/p 3 mix, causing loud feedback. Now this could have been the monitor speaker (Behringer 205D), or the mixer. You can understand that in the panic to kill the noise,  the exact cause was not spotted.
I have - of course - been unable to reproduce this!

RickK59

• Initiate
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »
Thanks to Beno for acknowledging the bugs, I'll see if I can figure out the cause during the next show I do. I know the drop down lock up happened for me when I used it to start recording and then was locked up the rest of the show. Really couldn't reboot everything to see if I could fix it.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »
It seems to me that MF4 is full of bugs. I've had a couple of serious problems (documented elsewhere on this forum), you guys have a couple more different ones. Don't feel you have to do Mackie's R & D for them, gear dysfunctions are not going to impress your clients. It's not hard to force a firmware update and go back a version, I certainly have. I look forward to Mackie swiftly getting their act together with their usual promptness, i.e. don't hold your breath.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 05:56:07 PM »
I'm just trying out MF4 on my iPad3/iOS8 and iPad mini/iOS9 (before updating my old iPad2 to iOS 8 or 9). It works well on the mini but scrolling is incredibly laggy and jerky on the iPad3 (so I assume it will be worse on the iPad2). I'm still using MF2 which works well on all platforms but I would have benefitted form the extra features on last Friday's gig. MF3 seems to be much better on the iPad2 than when I first tried it so I may compromise and go for that but if I'm doing it I would like the extra bits MF4 has.

I'm I right that MF3 improved in responsiveness over the course of the first few updates? I seem to remember it being as bad as MF4 is just now when it first appeared. If that's the case there's a chance that MF4 will become reasonably responsive with updates. Then there's just the issue of whether iOS8/9 will cause my old iPad2 too much grief..... I don't really want to put the old girl out to pasture just yet (and I can't really justify/afford an air to replace it).

Any words of wisdom?

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
I'm just trying out MF4 on my iPad3/iOS8 and iPad mini/iOS9 (before updating my old iPad2 to iOS 8 or 9). It works well on the mini but scrolling is incredibly laggy and jerky on the iPad3 (so I assume it will be worse on the iPad2). I'm still using MF2 which works well on all platforms but I would have benefitted form the extra features on last Friday's gig. MF3 seems to be much better on the iPad2 than when I first tried it so I may compromise and go for that but if I'm doing it I would like the extra bits MF4 has.

I'm I right that MF3 improved in responsiveness over the course of the first few updates? I seem to remember it being as bad as MF4 is just now when it first appeared. If that's the case there's a chance that MF4 will become reasonably responsive with updates. Then there's just the issue of whether iOS8/9 will cause my old iPad2 too much grief..... I don't really want to put the old girl out to pasture just yet (and I can't really justify/afford an air to replace it).

Hi Sam. MF4 crawls on my ipad3 as bad as MF3 did to begin with. They did improve MF3 to the point where it is now OK so here's hoping. Not quite so bad on the original mini but no prizes...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
Dunno what youse guys are doin' - MF4 runs fine on my iPad 2.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 08:29:48 PM »
Dunno what youse guys are doin' - MF4 runs fine on my iPad 2.
The ipad3 has a retina display and not enough horsepower to run it...