Author Topic: DL1608 Pro  (Read 3186 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
DL1608 Pro
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:21:40 PM »

If there ever will be a successor to the DL1608 let's give Mackie the specs for it. The current collection of core hardware, a Sharc DSP and it's companion a Blackfin ARM still have plenty of future in them and AD will continue to improve this series with backward software  compatibility. So what really needs to be improved to get this back into the game? Well for one the ground distribution needs to be redone. The obvious digitally controlled Onyx pre's are already designed and need to be included. The Ethernet needs to be brought current with a 1 Gig connection and the SD feature needs to be brought out (existing Blackfin feature never used) for multi-channel recording and playback. Drop the useless Lightning connector and either use the Ethernet or go with Thunderbolt (less desirable) and add a Class I Apt-X wireless (under Bluetooth V4.2). The software of course will need a shot in the ARM (pun intended) to include all the new features. Unshackle yourself from Apple and at least add Android. Well that's my view anyways. What's yours?
When in doubt KISS

pytchley

• Knight
Re: DL1608 Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:45 PM »
Lexicon (or anything better than what we have now) Reverbs.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »
I'd rather see them work on a DL2412R that fits in a shallow rack and has MUCH better FX. If B******* had an XR24 I'd probably be gone already :( .

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
As we are very aware of, Mackie already has their Connect App in both iOS and Android versions. To do that with the current MF would no doubt require a complete redesign, or possibly they could port Connect App for DL Series.

Connect Pro II ?  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
KM the MF would not require a complete redesign but it would certainly require a implementation due to the differences in the libraries. There may even be a cross platform tool-set out there to help with this.
Just a quick check (Google).
http://thinkapps.com/blog/development/develop-for-ios-v-android-cross-platform-tools/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:25:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
My opinions as of the moment...
  • There still needs to be some sort of USB-to-tablet connectivity for those times when WiFi just goes to crap (not that it happens often, but, would rather not be caught with my pants down). So, that's Lightning for us Apple users, and USB for the Android folks.
  • I'd also like to see a few more channels -- either 20 or 24.
  • Multi-track record to either SD or to a connected USB drive in a STANDARD format, not interleaved WAV.
  • Shallow rack-mount would be nice.
  • While I don't have a problem with the current effects, I do understand that some people don't want to have to take any time to work with them to get them where they want them. For those people, change the FX. I'm not a huge fan of the lower priced Lexicons (the reverbs are very unnatural to my ear), but I do like Yamaha's SPX effects...
  • I'd like to see some more routing options, too.

Hmmm... maybe a DL24R is the right answer... :)
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »
I would go for a 24R in the right price range.
I prefer better FX but have done pretty well with what's there already, however at least 1 more FX channel so we have at least 4 to modify,save and use.
Your never to old to learn something stupid