Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Thinking about DL32R for church praise team

(1/8) > >>

Kblue:
Hi, I just joined the forum hoping I get some advice.

My church(200-300 people) has been using mackie VLZ pro 24 for 12 years...but it has some mic inputs don't work... started acting weird...
Having issue with Keyboard sound...
Praise team wanted to buy new key board of course...but I think it is time to change mixer... a few years ago I tried to change to Onyx 24 channel  but no approval.  Now, they agreed to change mixer... And I don't see Onyx 24 channel any more... and I don't want to buy 2404 VLZ4...
I always wanted to buy mixer with built-in compressor... And i found DL32R...

Anyway, I have been reading manual of master Fader without DL32R... there is limit in understanding it without playing DL32R...

My plan is simply to replace VLZ pro 24 with DL32R and once DL32R is set up, the set up will stay almost permanently...
I would like to hear comments on this...

Also, one question (stupid) is once DL32R set up by iPAD, what will happen if I turned off iPAD and DL32R and turned on only DL32R a few days later?
Will DL32R be loaded up with previous configuration without iPAD?  I would like to know if pre-configured DL32R can be operated without iPAD just by turning on the power like analog mixer...  Thank You   

sam.spoons:
I have a DL1608 and it is a brilliant little mixer but, while it will retain the settings from it's last shut down on the absence of a connected iPad I wouldn't use it or the DL32R for what you want. Without it iPad connected (and then only by wifi on the DL32R) it's only marginally better than a doorstop.

Depending on budget (and input requirements) consider an Allen and Heath Qu16/24 or a Behringer X32 Producer/Compact/Full Console as they all have full control without the need for a tablet/iPad. The iPad is a brilliantly useful adjunct to the mixer but is not an absolute requirement because all those mentioned have a full complement of physical controls.

I have an X32 Compact and Rack and both are superb mid sized mixers. The latter has very limited control onboard and though it is theoretically possible to access all parameters from the physical controls I wouldn't want to try to run a show without the iPad.

I would definitely endorse the move to digital and if maximum ease of use is required the A&H Qu 16/24 is the closest to an analogue mixer paradigm. Otherwise the X32 offer the best bang/buck ratio.

Rdmitch:
Thanks for asking the questions here, at least you will get honest answers from people actually using the product.
No one here has any interest in selling you anything.
The unit most likely will retain the last setting it was left at, but also remember at the end of your
last session, save it on your iPad and you will always have it ready to go. I even save a second copy and just title it back up.  That way if I want to play with the program off line at home I can tweak away and never worry about losing the last setup.
If you have an iPad I recommend downloading the app....it's free and you can play around with it all you want and get a feel for how it works.
Most us here have been happy with the product line, except for a few functions we all hope will improve soon.

It's easy to use and learn and offers a lot of bang for the buck.  Remember though, there is NO screen on the mixer, so if you forget the iPad, of let the battery die you are in major trouble. Always plan ahead with these units and make sure your back up plan is solid.  Maybe keep a spare iPad ( get a used one on ebay) and keep it at the church. 
As Sam said a minute ago, you have to have the iPad !

I will respectfully disagree with the notion of the x32. While it's a great little board,(and yes I own one too) unless you want a major learning curve it's not an easy board to use. Lots of screens and settings, routings, input assigns, and overall I think it's kind of a pain in the rear. Plus it's heavy to move . While I know your looking at a more permanent install, your either going to run a lot of wire or use the x32 remote app which again is limited and difficult.  Just try to find a master volume control on the app...I still haven't found it on the X-air app !

I'm sure others here will chime in since we have such a active group of people here.

All the best of luck in any choice you make.

WK154:
Kblue you need to find a mixer with wired control or built in control. I would not recommend the DL32R. I would not want to explain to the Church council why the sound system was not controllable. Please come back for next weeks service.  :)
The right tool for the job is what I recommend and it's not live mixers especially for untrained operators.

dpdan:
I am going to spew my opinion here too...

The Mackie DL32R is an absolutely wonderful product PERIOD!

So is the Allen & Heath Qu line of mixers, I have them both and love and use them both.

By your post Kblue, it sounds to me as though you already know that the church's sound system will be used
without an operator a good part of the time, and perhaps without anyone even there that actually knows anything about it.

To purchase any digital console of any kind and expect it to come on with the master "PA SYSTEM ON/OFF" switch is sometimes possible, along with the lights and thermostat.
I know from experience that an analoge mixer is going to excell at this, mainly because it does not need to be "powered down" properly like most digital mixers require, and like a computer,
you should not just kill the power when you're done.

Here is the answer to one of your questions,...

--- Quote from: Kblue on February 02, 2016, 07:51:46 PM ---
Will the DL32R be loaded up with previous configuration without iPAD?  I would like to know if pre-configured DL32R can be operated without iPAD just by turning on the power like analog mixer...  Thank You

--- End quote ---
YES! But I would not ever recommend a digital mixer without an experienced operator that KNOWS what he/she is doing.

Let me explain a little further, today, most digital consoles are just as stable as the analog variety, but there is way more to the digital mixer, because it is capable of far more than one can imagine at first onlook.

There are people here on this forum that provide their opinion and don't even use the DL32R,  I believe you are asking about buying a DL32R for your church.
I have used my DL32R now for close to one hundred events in a year, and it is 1000% reliable along with the iPad and Apple Express and Extreme routers.

And for my last arrogant "opinion" even though it is rather harsh, but completely experience based, I would not take a behringer mixer if it was free.

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 02, 2016, 10:52:23 PM ---
The right tool for the job is what I recommend and it's not live mixers especially for untrained operators.

--- End quote ---
Some excellent truth there.
Peace out  :) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version