Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Thinking about DL32R for church praise team

<< < (4/8) > >>

WK154:
Ah yes, a sound system designed by committee and politics. I think you may want to get some local qualified outside help on this before cobbling more together. With 200-300 members it cant be much of a budget.
Good Luck

Kblue:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 05:40:01 AM ---I think you may want to get some local qualified outside help on this before cobbling more together. With 200-300 members it cant be much of a budget.
Good Luck

--- End quote ---

Thank You

To replace our old mixer, I think I am OK with qu-24 unless I found something else.
After changing mixer, my next project would be to replace speaker and Amp...
I would need some outside help... My church ceiling is only about 20 ~ 25ft... 

Kblue:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 04:52:07 AM --- The pre's for example are quite good, no 20 cent op-amps,  a lot more linear and faster with $6 op amps and better matched low noise JFets.

--- End quote ---

I am a retired engineer (not audio engineer) but very familiar with signal-to-noise ratio stuff...
Just wondering if you know typical noise figure (or noise temp) of those low noise JFETs typically used as 1st stage amp ?

robbocurry:
If you're not stuck for space, for your environment I suggest you buy a mixer with faders and iPad / Android remote control.
Perhaps a little more expensive than the Beh....er x series, but imho with a whole lot friendlier user interface (amongst it's many attributes) is the Allen Heath QU series.
Well worth a look and a pretty solid and safe investment for your church.

gerenm63:

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 03, 2016, 04:52:07 AM ---"However ...

If you have "live" situations, such as a praise band or orchestra, then these systems are not what you want, at least not for the entire system. But, I'll also agree with WK (with whom I often disagree :) ) that a digital mixer such as a Mackie DL or a Behringer X32/Midas M32 would not be a good choice if your operators are untrained. I've found that it's easier for inexperienced operators to wrap their heads around analog boards -- even complex boards like the big Allen & Heath, Yamaha, and others."

My turn to disagree  :) . I would not throw hundreds of knobs at the uninitiated (analog). My experience especially in schools and other places is that it's always a challenge for someone to keep their fingers off the knobs. They may be able to get a sound eventually out of the unit but what a sound? I have used the XAP800 in live performances and with great success. The pre's for example are quite good, no 20 cent op-amps,  a lot more linear and faster with $6 op amps and better matched low noise JFets. Try 15 eq's, compressors and delays in addition to the traditional 3. Crossovers etc. Full matrix routing, test signal generator and the list goes on. Setup requires experience, operating very little.

--- End quote ---

I only made this comment based on the experience of actually doing it. I find that it's far easier for the uninitiated to equate an analog board to something they're familiar with (I tell them it's just like a big stereo setup, which usually puts them at ease pretty quickly). I start with the basics, and add as needed.

I guess it's all in the approach, but I've always found it easier to train people on analog first, then they can pretty easily make the leap to a digital.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version