Author Topic: Thinking about DL32R for church praise team  (Read 14640 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Thinking about DL32R for church praise team
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »
As Sam pointed out a 300 ft. run would have to be balanced. The Di needs to be close to the KB but if you still have problems beyond that a receiver DI would be necessary. They are not inexpensive.
When in doubt KISS

Kblue

• Youngling
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 03:23:30 PM »
I pretty much covered the gamut from X-rays to audio. Just haven't got to subsonic, it's hard to keep a whale for a pet.
So what do you think electric signal? wave or particle?

I did test yesterday...trying many different options... It seems KB GND itself has not that good...
Or signal ground is isolated from DC ground. (I doubt it) 
When toggle SW at LIFT at DI, I heard some hum sound and when GND, hum is gone.
I tried to isolate pin 1 on XLR at mixer side, noise was still there.
Also, KB generates noise at around 400Hz... I had to use mid-band EQ to kill it.
(They said KB is at least 10 year old and some of key was broken...evidence that it has been dropped hard ).
After changing to another KB, everything seems OK.
But Church Praise team wants to buy another KB...Kurzwell Artis 88-Key Statge Piano (whatever this is)

I want to buy A&H QU-16 as FOH and extension unit at stage for Drum, KB, acoustic guitar, and base guitar. 
What extension unit do you recommend for QU-16?

There has been a long history of problem with drum sound... it becomes too loud and can't control it.
Currently, acoustic drum is getting dust... 
I am looking for sound shield and mic system so that I can control sound by mixer... 
(I would greatly appreciate if someone can recommend )

The order of what I need are

Main FOH MIXER and extension unit at stage   
KB
DRUM sound SHIELD and mics
Speakers (Maybe PA)

These have to be done over the time due to lack of budget...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:25:17 PM by Kblue »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »
I'm gonna go with Albert and those photons that are going to save our collective a..es this century. Lots of free energy hitting this planet just need an efficient way to use it. That's on it's way.
How about a pic of your problem and some model # of what you have. KB sounds like it needs replacement.

P.S. wrong end to lift ground on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:33:22 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Kblue

• Youngling
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 05:07:31 AM »
I'm gonna go with Albert and those photons that are going to save our collective a..es this century.

I would like you to see this... @ 3:38 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdoE1vX7k4
Quantum Mechanics is science/engineering field where most money was invested...  Observing device  is connected to some kind of recording device at another room. If recording sw is on, it becomes particle and if recording sw is off, it becomes wave...           
But scientist can not resolve this... Studying wave Vs particle is career-ending field so nobody wants to study this because this is something beyond current science is based.

How about a pic of your problem and some model # of what you have. KB sounds like it needs replacement.
P.S. wrong end to lift ground on.

Will do pic later.
I know it was wrong end to lift gnd... So I hooked up small XLR patch cable with pin 1 disconnected at mixer side...but humming noise was there...
But yes, I think KB is the problem...   

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »
You'll need an A&H AR2412 or AB168 to accompany a Qu series mixer. Generally you can't mix and match digital desks and stageboxes as most manufacturers use their own protocol. (Berry AES50, A&H dSnake etc). A more expensive/professional solution would be Dante. another expensive add on but it does allow different makes of mixer to converse.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:47 AM »
You can easily fix the drum problem by getting the drummer to develop some low volume skills.  That is the sign of a much better drummer.  (And it is so rare.)   I have a friend who can play down to cocktail level without resorting to brushes.  He's an amazing talent.  Matter of fact, I've never seen him use brushes and they are sitting there in his stick bag.  I know fixing the drummer is unlikely, but it is cheap and even better than shields.  (Way better than shields.)

Kblue

• Youngling
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:16 PM »
You can easily fix the drum problem by getting the drummer to develop some low volume skills.  That is the sign of a much better drummer.  (And it is so rare.)   I have a friend who can play down to cocktail level without resorting to brushes.  He's an amazing talent.  Matter of fact, I've never seen him use brushes and they are sitting there in his stick bag.  I know fixing the drummer is unlikely, but it is cheap and even better than shields.  (Way better than shields.)

Main praise team used to have a good dreamer who could play quietly... he no longer plays... 
Sometimes, young adult praise team performs at main chapel...This has always been disastrous...
Their drummer used to play elec drum...when he played acoustic, it is loudest.  So hard to hear vocals...
Sometimes, I am surprised young people don't get bothered by this kinda of music... :o

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »
Presently the understanding of Quantum Mechanics doesn't scale very well, so I guess we'll  have to look for that transitional explanation. In the mean time someone calculated that 3 yrs. collection of energy hitting this planet would supply all the electricity on this planet for the next 36,000 years. Several companies are at the verge of upping the efficiency of conversion to 90+% so sell your oil stock. Your own power source no more power cables.
This is where in your case a few measuring tools would pinpoint the problem, although the KB is part of the problem. Cable could be aggravating the situation.
The drummer problem won't go away until you can control the level, that means no acoustic drum set. Save your budget.
Sam you just broke the budget.

P.S. that brought me back to 1960 when three of us in H.S. were interviewing for a University and we ended up at a eating club (Princeton U's version of Fraternities). The next table was occupied with a rather healthy discussion between Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Robert Oppenheimer and another P.U. professor, something I'll never forget.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:49:30 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »
Well I have been suggesting a X32 Compact at stage side with an iPad for FOH mixing....... t'wasn't me who suggested the A&H Qu route..... :mrgreen:

Get the drummer to invest in some very light sticks (my old, now retired, drummer used to call them his 'knitting needles'). Much cheaper than a e-drum kit (or screens for that matter).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:57:51 PM by sam.spoons »