Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Thinking about DL32R for church praise team

<< < (2/8) > >>

WK154:
Kblue, DPdan and I rarely agree on much of anything but in this case the reason for untrained operators is the most compelling and we agree. There are companies that specialize in this kind of environment and it's not Behringer or A&H or Mackie. They have been here for decades. Polycom the leader, ClearOne, Biamp all have lots of experience in this kind of installation. Yes, Yamaha, Soundcraft, A&H, Behringer and many other live mixer manufacturers are found in churches but mostly because someone knows how to run them. The companies I mentioned are quite familiar with Corporate and Church installs where on/off, mute, volume are the only controls necessary. My wife's classroom install was one of these. Front panel lock and volume control. A great solution for knob twiddlers and creative students. Check them out.
My favorite for my usage is this.
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=355.0

Kblue:
Thank You very much for great advice... I really appreciate...

In permanently installed environment, it is good thing if no one can change it...
With my current mixer, when I am not there and Mic has no sound coming out of speaker, people change things until they figure out MIC is not plugged into right port or batter is dead :facepalm:

That's why I am happy when I wasn't able to see control panel on DL32R...

But this seems to invite other problems...there are some events that I am not aware of or not able to attend...
Then I will have the following problem.

--- Quote from: WK154 on February 02, 2016, 10:52:23 PM ---I would not want to explain to the Church council why the sound system was not controllable at last night wedding.
--- End quote ---
Portable device like iPAD doesn't go well either with permanent installation... I am a believer that I will not have iPAD when I actually need to use it.
(I lost three iphones last year. x()

As recommended here, I checked A&H qu-24...This unit appears very promising...(it appears that I don't need iPAD as it has full blown control panel and screen for graphics).  I am gonna study their manual and ask some questions

Thank YOU Again 

gerenm63:
I'll "third" the recommendation of Biamp for automixers. They work quite well for what they're intended -- great for speech-based, and conferences. They can be interfaced with various hardware interfaces, such as those from Crestron, for this instances when manual control and "programming" is required.

However ...

If you have "live" situations, such as a praise band or orchestra, then these systems are not what you want, at least not for the entire system. But, I'll also agree with WK (with whom I often disagree :) ) that a digital mixer such as a Mackie DL or a Behringer X32/Midas T32 would not be a good choice if your operators are untrained. I've found that it's easier for inexperienced operators to wrap their heads around analog boards -- even complex boards like the big Allen & Heath, Yamaha, and others.

I'll also mention that Peavey and Crest Audio have lines of mixers that are specially designed with house of worship installations in mind. You won't find them at your local Guitar Center, though. I'd contact Charles Cassell at Audio Associates. Charles has years of experience in working with and designing systems like what you're looking for. He can be reached at 410-964-1212. You can tell him that I referred you.

Kblue:
Just FYI

My ultimate goal is a good sounding for live performance by praise team...It has to be noticeably better than mackie VLZ pro 24
if not, I will also have to explain to Church council why.

We had Mackie VLZ pro 24 for 12 years... There are a few folks in our church who think they know how to use it...
Main reason I am interested in DSP mixer is its in-built compressor/gate, 4-band EQ etc...
With my current mackie,  I can't even dream to have individual compressor for each of singers, guitar, etc (about 10 inputs) because of space.
I also like dynamic range of new pre-amp compared to my mackie where I have to hit pre fairly hard to make a good sound( i have about 300ft cable runs between mic and mixer)...

WK154:
It's going to take a lot more than a mixer to get better sound and without a LOT more info and a view of the venue, no-one here would claim such a possibility. Don't even have a point of reference. What's with the 300 ft. of cable?

P.S. you might want to update your profile on where you are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version