Author Topic: Question about Loading A Saved Show  (Read 9734 times)

c172essna

• Youngling
Question about Loading A Saved Show
« on: February 15, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »
My band is about to purchase the DL32R and I'm working my way through the Master Fader manual - working with Master Fader 3.2 as I do so.

My question is about loading shows. When I "load" a preset show on my iPad, this isn't appearing in my ALL channels view. All that appears is the original default channels view. Does my iPad need to be connected to the DL32R for a proper "load" to take place and then appear on the iPad?

Thank you in advance for any info provided. I look forward to future learning on this forum.

pytchley

• Knight
Re: Question about Loading A Saved Show
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
This one catches everybody out at first. Load the show, nothing changes. You have to then "recall" a snapshot from the new show.

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Yes, the recall snapshot got me too. Also, the snapshot vs. show was a little tricky at first but really is helpful once I understood it. My band just got the dl32r also. WOW, this thing is amzing! I did the same thing, downloaded the app and played around and read the manual. 1st time using at practice, I forgot to load the show/connect the mixer because I didn't have to do that just playing with the app. Took a little thinking to realize why it wasn't working.

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:11 PM »
This did the trick! THANK YOU!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
It is very important to understand how the DL and the iPad stores shows, presets and pictures.
This post is for newcomers to the DL so I am not intentionally "preaching to the choir".  :)

A confusing thing is the naming of the various things in the shows.

A "Show" contains snapshots. I understand Mackie's thinking, a snapshot is the mixer's state from a specific time.
I wish Mackie had not used the term "Snapshot" when they designed the Master Fader app, to me, they should have used the term "Scene" like a theater show that contains multiple scenes in any given show.
To me, a snapshot is a photograph, and could be confused with the pictures that are used for the channel marking. Oh well.

When I do a job, once the show is under way and everything is peachy fine, I click on the show (upper right-hand corner) then I click on "Store Snapshot" this makes a new snapshot (scene) of the mixer's current status. Then as mentioned earlier, I click "Recall Snapshot". There is also a nice feature in the settings called "Confirm Snapshot Recall" which when turned on, allows us to eliminate the pop up that always asks us.... Recall this snapshot? This is wonderful when the DL is used to recall (Scenes)  ;) I mean snapshots in a theatrical setting. Instant recall. NICE!

After a little while, I go back to "Show", then I click on the snapshot that was last added,... and choose "Replace", this simply updates that snapshot with the mixer's current status, especially since I have a much better mix going on right now compared to when I created that snapshot or replaced it last. "Replace" is a good idea so you don't end up with 87 snapshots that are not named,... speaking of naming the snapshots, ALWAYS name them when you create them, otherwise, what good is it to have all those snapshots if you have no idea when they were made? Since I do sound for many different bands and events, I name the Show appropriately, then each snapshot is actually the date, or name of the venue.
Keep the house cleaned up and in good order.

It is a good idea to make a backup of your show when you get home, that way if you inadvertantly delete it, you can always go get it.
Another thing to know... let's say you do delete it by accident, first, provided you have not loaded a different show into the DL since it's last use, you can always simply "save the show" since the DL still has it loaded from the last gig. Now,... if you did load another show since then, you could always use another iPad that was used on that show to load the show, then on the iPad that no longer has the show, simply "Save The Show".

The DL does not store a show perse, the iPad stores all the shows and pictures. The DL can only remember settings based on how it was used last... meaning... if you shut down the iPad and the DL, but didn't save or update the snapshot, it is only smart enough to remember the state that it was in when it was shut down or lost power. Just like your analog mixer, if you turn off the power and put the lid on it, all the knobs, faders and everything else will be sitting right where they were, when it was used last.

Shutting down after the job... just before we shut down the powered speakers and amps, mute all the input channels. When we turn on the DL on our next job, all the input channels are still muted as expected, even though our most recent snapshot does not have the channels muted. You do have a "MUTE ALL" master don't you? I also have a mute named "BREAK". The BREAK mutes everything except break music and the lead vocalist's mic. 

If you turn on your first iPad after the DL and it's router is up and running, you will most likely get a pop up message that let's you choose to use the show that is already loaded in the DL, or the show on the iPad.
I almost always choose the DL, that way you have instant access to the previous gig's settings in case you forgot to save or replace the snapshot at the conclusion of the previous job.

One more bit of rambling... it is convenient to use the "Use Camera" feature to take a picture of the lead vocalist before a soundcheck or show for their input channel and monitor mix master, but if that same vocalist is on another job with a different "Show", their picture will not be available to use in the Master Fader show. I suggest using the iPad's camera App to take the picture, then choose "Photos" when you want to add the vocalist into another show. This way their photo is in your Photos App and available for any future show. I have a photos folder named DL32 and it contains commonly used photos such as kick, snare, guitar, bass, keys, sax, TPT etc.

Sorry to ramble,

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 06:53:06 AM by dpdan »

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »
Excellent advice Dapper Dan! I appreciate you taking time to share this.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
my pleasure!

I love the DL32R it is so much fun to use.
Whatever you do, do NOT miss out on all the cool things it can do for you.

And welcome!

My job last Wednesday...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjI66lr-jWQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjI66lr-jWQ</a>

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:44:21 PM by dpdan »

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
Please forgive me for getting off topic but are you using Master Fader 3.2 or 4.0? Specifically, I'm wondering if I should give 4.0 more time for bugs to get worked out.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »
Please forgive me for getting off topic but are you using Master Fader 3.2 or 4.0? Specifically, I'm wondering if I should give 4.0 more time for bugs to get worked out.

I've gone back to MF3 for now despite the very useful improvements to MF4, two f**k ups is too many for me. I even use MF2 with one band, it's the one that works best on older ipads (pre air).

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
Just a clarification - the mixer itself does indeed store one show. You can connect a new iPad and it will download that show if you choose "use mixer's show" (or some sort) when it complains about the iPad and mixer having different shows.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 01:25:55 AM »
I was very clear in my post,
it is not safe to tell people that the DL stores a show just because a show is loaded in it.
I was trying to accurately and cautiously help new users of Master Fader 4 that they need to save the show on the iPad if you want access to it later.
I will repeat,, SHOWS (plural) are NOT stored in the DL box.

Now they should be totally confused   ???

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »

I am using 4 and don't have any problems with it on an iPad mini 3 and iPhone 6.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »

I am using 4 and don't have any problems with it on an iPad mini 3 and iPhone 6.

Yes but you have a DL32 don't you? Big difference for record/playback. (update, sorry just read the first post, he's thinking about buying a DL32)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:34:23 AM by pytchley »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
I no longer have a 1608, but it is evident that it must have some issues with recording... :(

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
Nice overview Dan! I would like to add one more thing for DL1608 users:

You can use the iPad's camera function to take a picture of the trim knobs. You can then create a photo album that is named after the band & venue, then place that picture in the album for a quick reference to where the inputs should be set. Once you've place the picture in the album, don't delete the picture from the camera roll, or it will be gone forever.