Author Topic: Need Resource Suggestion(s) To Guide DL32R Monitors Set-Up  (Read 6031 times)

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
Re: Need Resource Suggestion(s) To Guide DL32R Monitors Set-Up
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »
Just to correct a slight misapprehension regarding compression, using a compresser does not cause or increase the likelihood of feedback unless you apply makeup gain (which does 'cos it raises the level of everything when the wanted signal is low or absent. It's effectively identical to turning the preamp gain up with nobody speaking into the mic).

I use the vocal presets as a starting point but always turn the gates and compression off. Then I usually increase the HPF frequency and reduce the presence peak (PEQ band 3 usually) so actually I'd be probably be quicker starting from scratch  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:10:26 PM by sam.spoons »

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Just to correct a slight misapprehension regarding compression, using a compresser does not cause or increase the likelihood of feedback unless you apply makeup gain (which does 'cos it raises the level of everything when the wanted signal is low or absent. It's effectively identical to turning the preamp gain up with nobody speaking into the mic).

In theory that's correct but somehow switching it off miraculously allows more volume before feedback, also keep compression out of vocal monitors unless you want to destroy you vocalist (as if anyone would want to!). If you're doing sound off the stage whilst playing don't compress or only use it as an emergency limiter i.e. high ratio, high threshold so it just catches really high peaks.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
In most cases that's what I use compression for, just to control the excesses of an over excited singer  :lol:

I would differ regarding switching the compression off and achieving better GBF but I will experiment next time I have the rig set up (I'm always prepared to be proved wrong  :-[).

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »
There are rare instances where compression of 8/1 or even 12/1 is useful.  (Not for music.)  I do a lot of general PA work and some politicians and most preachers need more compression.  The fire and brimstone preachers will go from a whisper to shouting, frequently in the same sentence.  Got to bring the floor up on the whispers without blowing your audience or speakers when the shouting starts.  Compressors can be very useful in these situations.

Actually, even for bands the very high compression ratios can be useful. A friend here in my town who used to mix Primus and does pretty well known reggae acts uses the highest compression ratios on all his vocal channels and it actually sounds fine. He uses a high threshold so it's not engaging until it needs to limit. I was doing a show with him a while back using my 2-stage compression method (mild compression on the vocal channel, hard compression on the vocal group as a limiter). He said I was wasting my time and to just crank the compression ratio up on my vocal channels all the way (100:1 on the Avid Venue) & shut off the group compression. I gave it a try though I was uncomfortable with it. Worked fine, though my preference is not to crush so hard. That said, the overall behavior in dynamics between the two methods didn't sound all that different in practice and I've never heard him have a bad mix. He always get the vocals out on top.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
Great info here guys. Thanks :o