Author Topic: Mackie vs Behringer Reverbs  (Read 8303 times)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Mackie vs Behringer Reverbs
« on: March 04, 2016, 09:08:56 PM »
So, I'm messing about with an XR12 as a bass preamp and I don't find the reverbs to be any better than the ones in the DL1608. Anybody have a different opinion? Nothing close to the convolution reverb apps available on the iPad that we can "patch in" - or the amazing reverbs I have on my Phonic S16 mixer.

Obviously it does have a variety of FX that the Mackie's don't, in particular a chorus - and four of them. Hopefully soon? :)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: Mackie vs Behringer Reverbs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:12:37 AM »
really really good sounding smooth reverb is extremely taxing on any processing power.
Reverb, especially the "Impulse Response" variety can eat up as much CPU as you can throw at it,
and I am only guessing here, but I'm afraid the DL series mixers probably just don't have enough internal processing to dedicate to a better sounding reverb.

I for one am so grateful for all of what the DL32R mixer offers us and I really don't mind using an external reverb, it is mounted in the same rack and I just pretend it's not even there except of course when I hear it :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:49:56 AM by dpdan »

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
really really good sounding smooth reverb is extremely taxing on any processing power.
Reverb, especially the "Impulse Response" variety can eat up as much CPU as you can throw at it,
and I am only guessing here, but I'm afraid the DL series mixers probably just don't have enough internal processing to dedicate to a better sounding reverb.

I for one am so grateful for all of what the DL32R mixer offers us and I really don't mind using an external reverb, it is mounted in the same rack and I just pretend it's not even there except of course when I hear it :)

Hmm, the Lexicon 480L was introduced in 1986 and it is still one of the best digital reverbs ever, how much processing power did that have? Current PCs were then racing along with the new intel i486 which galloped about at around 25MHz!
I'm not going to rant on yet again over Mackie's stinker of a reverb but having invested in a new Tascam 4track recorder to take over from the now defective recording feature of the DL1608 I'm really impressed with the quality of the AudioReverb app that runs quite happily in the background behind Master Fader on my docked ipad3 and only costs  $6.99.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:30:34 PM by pytchley »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 04:03:13 AM »
Pytchley,
How do you make connections to this app on the iPad while running Master Fader?
I am all ears, it is impressive for 7 bucks.

I still have my Lexicon 200 that I bought brand new back in the early eighties and it still works PURfect!
Same as a 224 but only does one stereo reverb, where the 224 does two stereo reverbs simultaneously.

Those old Lexicons are by far the best smoothest sounding external (non-computer plugin) reverb I have heard to date.   

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:27:32 AM by dpdan »

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Pytchley,

I still have my Lexicon 200 that I bought brand new back in the early eighties and it still works PURfect!
Same as a 224 but only does one stereo reverb, where the 224 does two stereo reverbs simultaneously.

Hi Dan

I think you have the DL32 so it's not possible for you as you can't dock an ipad. On the 1608 you can divert the record function, via an aux, through another app and come back on the ipad channel. Works a treat. I never understood why Mackie didn't allow for a wired connection on the 32.
I'm a big fan of Lexington reverbs too.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »
Pytchley,

Hi Dan

I think you have the DL32 so it's not possible for you as you can't dock an ipad. On the 1608 you can divert the record function, via an aux, through another app and come back on the ipad channel. Works a treat. I never understood why Mackie didn't allow for a wired connection on the 32.
I'm a big fan of Lexington reverbs too.

Yes you can , connect an ios device (iPad 3 / iPhone 5 or newer ) to the USB using the Apple camera adaptor and route to/from USB 1-2 :-)
If in doubt ask

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
I have never seen a camera kit, but will it allow at least three analog audio channels ...
one for input and two outputs???

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »

Yes you can , connect an ios device (iPad 3 / iPhone 5 or newer ) to the USB using the Apple camera adaptor and route to/from USB 1-2 :-)

That's interesting, have you actually done it?

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
Yes do it all the time ,  with altispace app , 2 ch in 2 ch out works like a charm :-)
If in doubt ask

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 05:35:33 AM »
pytchley,

you mentioned:
>>On the 1608 you can divert the record function, via an aux, through another app and come back on the ipad channel

Could you please be more specific/elaborate?

(on 1608)  if I divert the recording (of channels that needs reverb) via  aux 1 (say), and then how do I apply the AudioVerb to the recording app (say Voice Record) and play it so that we can capture it IPad Channel of the dl1608? Is it realtime?

Many in this group are very sound savvy - but I am not- can you help with details?
Thanks.
-Ram

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 07:08:44 AM »
I am going to check out an Apple camera kit   :)

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »
On a DL1608 or DL806
You patch Aux 1 to iPad L+R in the routing window (next to settings in the top bar)
dock an iPad or iPone running the reverb App set to 100% wet
and it will be retuned to the iPad channels (USB 1+2)
If in doubt ask

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
how do I apply the AudioVerb to the recording app (say Voice Record) and play it so that we can capture it IPad Channel of the dl1608? Is it realtime?

Follow Topsøe's instructions to get signal into your reverb. The reverb app is instead of your recording app, in your case Voice Record, so you cannot run it at the same time. The reverb automatically comes back on the ipad channel in virtually real time. There must be a small delay but it's indistinguishable on reverb, I imagine it might be a problem on a compressor or an EQ. Only one thing to bear in mind, if you undock or switch off the DL the reverb will feedback on the ipad between it's speaker and it's mic, it's quite quiet and the first time it happened it took a minute for me to realize that my ears hadn't gone wrong... muting or quitting the reverb does the trick.

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:51 PM »
Pytchley and Topsøe,
Thanks!
Let me ask you for another recommendation.
On a PA situation, If I want to route violins (channel 2 & 3) for reverb , I will route these two channel to say Aux 1 and patch Aux 1 to Ipad L +R as suggested, and pass it thru AudioReverb and take it to Ipad channel and feed into PA.
Should I not route my original channels (2 and 3 ) to PA, as I will use the Ipad channel to PA?
Or is it a good idea to take 1 and 2 to PA , and some of Ipad Channel with reverb to PA - so I can add how much ever 'reverbed violins' I need.

I know I should experiment this but if you have any insights on this, please shed..

Thanks.
-Ram 

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 02:06:28 AM »
The violins should go to L/R aswell so you can mix the dry sound with the "wet" sound from the reverb and the reverb should be set to 100% wet
If you mix dry/wet in the reverb you will get an extra latency and it will sound wierd
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:08:37 AM by Topsøe »
If in doubt ask