Author Topic: M 1202 VLZ Mystery  (Read 7260 times)

jetgraphics

• Initiate
M 1202 VLZ Mystery
« on: March 21, 2016, 02:43:19 AM »
Greetings.
My problem is somewhat complex. I decided to set up an AV studio with my computer.
I resurrected my "old" MZ1202 VLZ mixer (1990s vintage), mics, etc, and noticed several issues with my equipment.

[] Persistent hum (which could be attributed to large amount of computer hardware in close proximity, or the lighting)
[] Bizarre response from Audio Technica ST90 (not MKII) dynamic microphones (hardly any bass response - from both mics)
[] Normal response from a guitar synth plugged into a stereo input
[] Normal response from a guitar plugged into one of the single channel inputs
[] Normal response from a webcam mounted condenser microphone via USB input (not connected to Mackie - a "control" reference)

Can dynamic microphones "go bad" with age?
Can a balanced microphone pre-amp work fine with unbalanced input but exhibit high pass behavior otherwise?

I double checked the output using a software spectrum analyzer which confirmed the spectrum was way off on the dynamic microphones.

Any suggestions ?

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
Re: M 1202 VLZ Mystery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »
While it's possible for a dynamic mic to go bad from age, it's unlikely. I think it's more than likely it's just a terrible sounding mic. Specs list the MKII version as having a low frequency response down to 100Hz which is pretty poor. Find or borrow an SM58 and compare. If that sounds off, could be a mixer issue. As for the hum, it could be a ground loop or a board problem. Quickest way to found out if it's the board is to unplug everything except for power and plug in some headphones. If you have a buzz then, the board is faulty. FWIW, I find that Mackie mixers don't age well. And if they're left sitting around with little use, the pots and switches oxidize from lack of use and get noisy.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!