Author Topic: Finally! A Supported way to plug an iPad into a wired Ethernet adapter!  (Read 14993 times)

cyclops

• Youngling
For everyone wanting to run their DL32R via a hard wired connection, Apple just announced a powered usb to lightning cable

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

It specifically mentions Ethernet.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
It also mentions the iPad Pro a lot, so some functions may only be available with iPad Pro models. For those who think the original 12.9" iPad Pro is too big, there's now a 9.7" iPad Pro as well.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Don't get too excited yet, we've had the hardware before this but Apple goes thru great lengths to block access to Ethernet other than the Web. They identify the Ethernet chip and politely tells you it's not supported. Also note that only the iPad Pro's are mentioned in their claims. iOS 9.3 is also released for the iPads as of today. Let's see what they broke this time round.  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:13:40 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
A quick perusal of offline MF3/ MF4 broke nothing but I noticed a smoother and slightly faster screen operation. I use an iPad 3.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
They did specifically mention supporting Ethernet adapters with the new Lightning-to-USB3 Camera Connection Kit. But, as I mentioned, they specifically were talking about iPad Pro at the time. Info is vague about other iPads and Ethernet using the new cable.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
I believe I saw mention that the Pro 9.7 is the replacement for the iPad Air 2 so sounds like they will only be making pro's and mini's going forward?

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
They're currently showing the Air 2 as an active product, along with the 2 Pros, the Mini 4, and the Mini 2. I would think that the Mini 2 would be going away before the Air 2, as the Air 2 shares the same basic specs as the Mini 4, although they have dropped the 128GB Air 2 from the line-up.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

sam.spoons

• Pint #2
  • Master
The compatibility table on the Apple Store website lists all lightning equipped iPads. Obviously only the larger iPad Pro will benefit from USB3 speeds but the implication is that everything else will work on the older devices.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
The compatibility table on the Apple Store website lists all lightning equipped iPads. Obviously only the larger iPad Pro will benefit from USB3 speeds but the implication is that everything else will work on the older devices.
That's all well and good but support for devices need to be there not intentional crippleware and as of iOS 9.1.2 these devices were not supported. Part of the USB 3 spec specifies that backward compatibility to USB 2 needs to be there. So I guess will see. I have a completely Genuine Apple hardware chain to the 30 pin connector (Camera kit and Ethernet dongle which did not work under 9.1.2). It's always has been a matter of Apple software. Please also note that the USB logo is not on the device which means it has not passed the testing and USB requirements just as before.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:57:39 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Please also note that the USB logo is not on the device which means it has not passed the testing and USB requirements just as before.

Apple computers use Intel processors, but they don't have the required "Intel Inside" logo on the front, nor to their commercials play the required Intel jingle, so I wouldn't put too much weight on the cable not having the USB logo on it. The logo just doesn't fit the Apple aesthetic -- the only logo that goes in a visible spot on an Apple product is an Apple logo.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Finally! A Supported way to plug an iPad into a wired Ethernet adapter!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »
Unfortunately Apple has no such exclusionary privileges in the real world such as USB qualifications. They need to qualify like everyone else or get sued. They may have some agreement with Intel but not with USB. They are a small fish in a much bigger pond.  Their previous limited "USB" attempt made that very clear. It's a camera kit only nothing else. 
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:58:22 AM »
According to the logo usage documents at USB.ORG, there is no requirement to display a USB logo of any kind on a device that has passed compliance testing. There is, however, a nominal (in the grand scheme of things) fee to register to be allowed to use the logo after a device has passed testing, provided that the logo is used only in certain conditions. Those conditions dictate required sizes, colors, placements, and grouping restrictions. Apple mark their compliance logos on their cables/adapters in a very light grey. This color is not permitted under the Logo Usage Agreement. Apple place their compliance logos on the bottom surfaces of their connectors. This is also prohibited by the usage Logo Usage Agreement.

In other words, as I said, no logo is not a sure sign that the adapter isn't compliant.

Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 02:42:48 AM »
In simple terms Apple doesn't comply and doesn't support USB never has and may never do so under iOS. The results is the same you're screwed. :) It's easy to test. Can you connect wired?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:25:54 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
I guess Apple is also out of compliance with at least six or more products with the grey USB logo. See for yourself.
http://www.apple.com/shop/ipad/ipad-accessories/power-cables
Including the one I used to test wired connectivity. They may comply with the hardware specs but the software is not there.  :)
When in doubt KISS

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 08:44:38 PM »
FYI. We have tested this and it does work with Master Fader and a DL mixer. The only caveat is that you still need to use a router or switch in between. It looks like the iPad needs something to give it an IP address.
Support is writing up a document describing all the details.