Author Topic: Another MF4 problem  (Read 3065 times)

pytchley

• Knight
Another MF4 problem
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »
Last night at work I was using my ipad3 docked when I realized I had lost all output from it to the DL1608. The meters were working normally, different pages opened as normal but moving faders, muting channels and even the mains had no effect, the sound carried on unchanged. After a few minutes of frantic activity I decided to save the show so I could restart MF4 if there was a pause in the performance. "Replace" worked as expected and when it's window closed the sync splash screen popped up and down and normal service was resumed... didn't happen again thank goodness, phew! Any ideas anyone? I did have audioreverb running in the background (as I always do) and it still seemed to be working. I quit it as a precaution and had to reluctantly use Mackie's reverb instead. It was for a client who won't allow wifi so I was unable to try the other (wireless) ipad from which I normally mix.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
Re: Another MF4 problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
I think I experienced something similar at a gig Saturday night. I say similar, because in my case, I was un-docked, and only some controls were affected. I did not get any indication that sync had been lost, and, since most controls were working, I'm guessing the system didn't "think" it had lost sync. Switching screens or waiting a short time would get the controls back.

My DL-1608 has a 30-pin connector, and I use all devices with Lightning ports now. All are on Master Fader 4, and my devices (iPad Air 2, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5 docked with lightning-to-30-pin adapter) are running iOS 9.3.1. I did have two performers using Master Fader 4 on iPhones as well to run their in-ear mixes. I do not know what version of iOS they were on. I have the DL1608 set to fixed IP now, and am using a 5GHz router to stay clear of most of the rest of the usual 2.4GHz WiFi traffic. I don't think that either of the performers noticed control issues, but had issues with both the iPad and the iPhone6s.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
In Pytchley's case it's the well known disconnect when docked. It mostly recovers but sometimes not without forcing a reset. The wireless is certainly far rarer. It 's certainly a question the people with the code can and should be looking at. The Mandolin communications part still needs better recovery techniques.
The wired multiple control surfaces (iPad etc.) should be checked for the DL1608. I haven't gotten around to retry this under iOS 9.3.
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
In Pytchley's case it's the well known disconnect when docked. It mostly recovers but sometimes not without forcing a reset. The wireless is certainly far rarer. It 's certainly a question the people with the code can and should be looking at. The Mandolin communications part still needs better recovery techniques.
The wired multiple control surfaces (iPad etc.) should be checked for the DL1608. I haven't gotten around to retry this under iOS 9.3.

I haven't even had time to pick up the new USB-3-to-Lightning cables yet... Maybe tomorrow night...
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:37:39 PM »

I haven't even had time to pick up the new USB-3-to-Lightning cables yet... Maybe tomorrow night...

Hi WK, thanks for the reply, may be well known but it's the first time  for me as far as I know. Do the meters normally keep functioning? I've had total disconnects before but never this.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:29:44 PM »
It's been a while (3 yrs.) since I dealt with this but from what I can remember the streaming audio and record data were fine even though the command and control functions were dead. I had to really turn up the heat to even see this problem with my unit by adding a 1 Meter cable and a lower than 90% battery state to make it fail. Others had it happen docked frequently.
When in doubt KISS

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
In Pytchley's case it's the well known disconnect when docked. It mostly recovers but sometimes not without forcing a reset.

If this is the 'disconnect while docked' issue then I might be having similar. I have noticed that after a disconnect 'event' I have a duplicate snapshot saved which may be useful except it's making a mess of my shows, apart from anything else all the snapshots have slightly different settings but the same name so I have no way of telling which is which.

Very annoying abd unPro looking.

To clarify, this duplication symptom was apparent using MF3. I have just updates OS and app due to the rest of the world's unwillingness to hold off any longer so will be watching for any new manifestation of the problem under 9.3.1/MF4.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 05:03:02 PM by shufflebeat »