Author Topic: A&H steps into the surface-less fray with QU-SB  (Read 5549 times)

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
A&H steps into the surface-less fray with QU-SB
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »
No price info yet, just announced...

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-sb/
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: A&H steps into the surface-less fray with QU-SB
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 03:33:06 AM »
Looks like a X32 Rack competitor until they announce the price.  :)
When in doubt KISS

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
The Qu-Pac is a more direct competitor to the X32 Rack, as it has the display. The new Qu-SB lacks the UI of the X32 Rack or the Qu-Pac. Or, maybe the X32 falls somewhere between the two A&H offerings?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:21:03 AM by gerenm63 »
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.
Westminster, Maryland, USA

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »
The Qu-Pac is a more direct competitor to the X32 Rack, as it has the display. The new Qu-SB lacks the UI of the X32 Rack or the Qu-Pac. Or, maybe the X32 falls somewhere between the two A&H offerings?

No competition as far as I can see, anybody seen a price? One's a quality product by a serious manufacturer, the other's a B********r. I want one.

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »

No competition as far as I can see, anybody seen a price? One's a quality product by a serious manufacturer, the other's a B********r. I want one.

My personal experience, over a lot of years, with Allen and Heath is that their analog boards are of most excellent quality -- some of the best I've ever used. However, their digital offerings are less than reliable, and are difficult and expensive to have repaired.
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »
I've had a number of AH analogue desks, I still have three, and they've all been excellent. There has been the odd little problem but always easy to sort and they've had heavy use over many, many gigs. I've no experience of the QU series but have only seen good reports around the forums. Are you speaking from personal experience about their problems? I really like the look of this new desk and although my DL has been pretty good overall, I'm starting to tire of it's increasing flakiness.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »
Like many, I have had a number of Allen & Heath mixers and they have all been wonderful.
I now have an Allen & Heath Qu24 and AR2412 stage box and absolutely love it! It has been nothing but wonderful.

However!!!!! it only gets used for concerts, I use the Mackie DL32R ten times more often because the jobs don't usually
have a convenient "place" for the console, so the iPad gets the work. I have not had any flakey issues with the DL32R. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:40:40 AM by dpdan »

gerenm63

• Knight
    • gerenm.net
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 03:54:07 AM »
I've had a number of AH analogue desks, I still have three, and they've all been excellent. There has been the odd little problem but always easy to sort and they've had heavy use over many, many gigs. I've no experience of the QU series but have only seen good reports around the forums. Are you speaking from personal experience about their problems? I really like the look of this new desk and although my DL has been pretty good overall, I'm starting to tire of it's increasing flakiness.

Yes, and that of colleagues. Most of the problems have been with the more expensive iLive series used in permanent theater installations, but I've also experienced issues with the Qu series as well. These have not been issues of "flakiness", but far more catastrophic in nature (failed console main boards or display boards, mix engine failures, etc.).
Geren W. Mortensen, Jr.

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »
Looks sweet.
No bad experiences with any of my QU gear! (Long may that last!)
The older I get, the better I was!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:51:32 AM »
What amuses me is the concept that A&H vs. anyone else is suddenly buying Mil spec parts or some other special quality from a multi-billion dollar fab. Really folks!! Haven't seen a production line labeled that. That leaves a lot of other aspects that could go awry. I don't think any manufacturer want's poor quality out the door. The level of post assembly testing may vary but we've all seen that. More automatic testing for lower production costs levels the playing field. The follow up support however makes a difference which I think is the real reason behind most of the strong opinions. This is also evident as more suppliers offer extended warranties beyond the Mfg. So that leaves the designers and engineer holding the bag in the long run :(  and the PR/marketing guys on life support.
When in doubt KISS

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:52:08 AM »
Richard Penrose on Prosoundweb thinks 1199 euros in July. Sounds about right, the Qu-pac is at €1,529 at Thomann.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:39:17 PM »
It looks nice, but until they come out with a 32 channel version, I have no interest. But I'll be watching the comments with interest.
Mackie Junkie

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
It looks nice, but until they come out with a 32 channel version, I have no interest. But I'll be watching the comments with interest.

It already supports 32 mono channels plus 3 stereo channels if you look at the info. You just need to add an AR or AB series dSnake rack to it.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 10:44:11 PM »

It already supports 32 mono channels plus 3 stereo channels if you look at the info. You just need to add an AR or AB series dSnake rack to it.
Got it. Thanks. So, if you need 32 channels, you need to add some additional hardware, but the same app works fine?
Mackie Junkie

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 10:54:11 PM »
Got it. Thanks. So, if you need 32 channels, you need to add some additional hardware, but the same app works fine?

Yes.