Author Topic: EQ Presets  (Read 4763 times)

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
EQ Presets
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:58:54 PM »
I was testing some of the EQ presets like F Vox1 & M Vox1 among others on my DL1608. When I press the green EQ button to turn the EQ off and on I don’t hear any difference in the sound at all. On some of the presets I do here a difference, specifically on Bass2. Am I doing something wrong with some of the presets?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: EQ Presets
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:35:44 AM »
Am I doing something wrong with some of the presets?
Yes, you're using them.

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
Yes, you're using them.

Ok I get that they may be not be very useful or not very creative but it seems odd that Mackie would bother creating EQ presets that you can’t even detect if they are off or on.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
Yes, you're using them.
Ok I get that they may be not be very useful or not very creative but it seems odd that Mackie would bother creating EQ presets that you can’t even detect if they are off or on.
They are marketing BS on all digital mixers - unfortunately to sell into the newbee market they have to have them as the uniformed look for them. That said I do recommend the "no clip" preset for the outputs. If you're newbee it's worth looking through the dynamics presets and getting an understanding as to what each is trying to do. EQ presets tend to be more harmful than useful but I suppose it might be worth a look at the kick drum one(s).

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Yes, you're using them.
They are marketing BS on all digital mixers - unfortunately to sell into the newbee market they have to have them as the uniformed look for them. That said I do recommend the "no clip" preset for the outputs. If you're newbee it's worth looking through the dynamics presets and getting an understanding as to what each is trying to do. EQ presets tend to be more harmful than useful but I suppose it might be worth a look at the kick drum one(s).

Yes I’m a newbee:
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. Do you think it’s a good idea to start with a HPF on everything except the kick, bass and keys?

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
Yes, you're using them.

Yes I’m a newbee:
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. Do you think it’s a good idea to start with a HPF on everything except the kick, bass and keys?

Yes, absolutely. I set mine at 150 hz but that number is dependent of how much sub I'm using.

As for hearing the EQ's, you might not have proper gain structure on those channels. You need plenty of signal, and the gain needs to be high enough to hear the effect of the EQ. One thing I learned with the DL, EQ changes seem to need more drastic action than the older analog EQ's I was using. I don't typically use the presets, so I'll have to look at them to see what they're doing.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
You can create your own preset.  I created one for a default HPF. (High Pass Filter) Most mixers have a set one at 100 htz or 75 htz. So I made on and placed it in with the presets for the PEQ.  Now that I can copy a channel's configuration and propagate it to other channels, it isn't as important.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
You need a HPF on everything unless you like to recone your subs and monitors regularly ;) . Most all powered subs have one built-in, many crossovers and amps have one that you can switch on. You can also set a HPF on the mixer outs. Monitors are usually fine HPF'd at 100 Hz - any low end "needed' is more than filled in by the backwash off the subs. I generally play bass direct just using one of my 10" monitors to hear myself - no bass amp or cab needed 8).

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
And I haven't found a useful kick drum PEQ.  the compressor and gates are useful.