Author Topic: MF4 static on iPad recording  (Read 4659 times)

Jkowtko

• Padawan
MF4 static on iPad recording
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:40:57 AM »
I think this has been covered elsewhere, but no thread specific to this one issue.

After upgrading to MF4, I don't know if I can use iPad recordings anymore.  Large blocks of static on the recording for several seconds to several minutes at a time.  Possibly related to the constant disconnecting/reconnecting of the docked iPad?

In any case, if I cannot rely on the iPad recording anymore, at least I don't need that docked iPad anymore and can just rely on analog recordings off the LR or Aux.

Unless Mackie wants to fix this ...

pytchley

• Knight
Re: MF4 static on iPad recording
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:57 AM »
Unfortunately Mackie doesn't seem to give a toss anymore, MF4 is full of bugs and not a fix in sight. Shame on them.

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 04:03:26 PM »
Okay, I just submitted a ticket through their Tech Support web page.  I'll let you know if they reply back with any new info.

Thanks.  John

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
Mackie Support answered my email tech support request this morning -- has anyone with this problem tried reverting back to MF3 to confirm that it does not exist on MF3?

(email reply from Mackie Tech Support)
===
Hi John,

Thanks for writing!

Have you tried multiple iPads to rule out the possibility that that could be the culprit? If not, I would recommend that first. If so, then I would recommend the following steps:

1.       Revert the firmware of the mixer to Master Fader 3
2.       Check the recording and playback
3.       If this works as you would expect, then reinstall the version 4 firmware and test again.

You can change the firmware back to version 3 by docking the iPad and opening Master Fader 3. It will then prompt you to do the update. The same process applies for returning to Master Fader 4.

If this does not help then I would recommend taking the mixer into a service center.

All the best,

Technical Support
===

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:53:27 AM »
Here's my advise to you. If the DL1608 is under warranty send it back and let them replace the defective part.
If it's out of warranty put MF3 back and sell it while you can get something for it. Add to that what it would have cost you to get it fixed and buy something more to your liking. You've always wanted a rack mount compact unit so the XR18 comes to mind. It's a second generation DL and you'll most likely break even. If your budget is tight then the X18 ( same form factor as the DL) is $100 less and you'll be ahead.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:55:02 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
Since upgrading to MF 4.X your problems started. Was everything working before the software/firmware update? If so then the update MF 4 (app and firmware) more then likely caused the problem and not necessarily your iPad.

I would test as Mackie recommended. You need to run “Process of Elimination” to nail down the root of your problems with the DL. From what you’ve described I’m really leaning to an issue with MF 4 and possibly its accompanying firmware update as your problem. Technically there’s probably nothing wrong with your physical DL hardware.

Like I mentioned above, if you downgrade and the problems go away, you have your answer, if it persists (under MF 3.X) then you most likely have a hardware problem. Like WK said, if it’s under warranty, your good, if not, the cost of repairing the DL may be way beyond reasonable and cost ineffective. Then it’s time to revert to MF 3.X and consider trying to sell or trade it.  8)

It's tough and I've been there with gear over the years.  :)

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
KM his unit has a history of frequent disconnects when docked that leads me to the conclusion that there is a hardware problem that has long been ignored. Sell and upgrade is still my advise. If the budget allows I would go with the X32 rack. Yes it's more complex and has a longer learn curve but that's what comes with more features. My best part is sell those iPads and get either some larger PC based tablets or Androids. PC x86 based units allow for running the Android app.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:58:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. 

The board is a few years old, so not under warranty.

I have had the docked iPad disconnect issue since MF2, never went away, but MF4 is the only one that the control surface has frozen permanently on.

As suggested, I will try making long recordings on both MF3 and MF4 to narrow down the problem scenario, and I will go from there.

Fyi, I have a QuPac that I purchased back in Feb and haven't taken out of the box yet because I wanted to use the DL one last time with all of it's frills.  I plan to rack up the QuPac this summer and start using it ... and maybe I'll try my rack conversion on the DL at that time :)

But again, I am wondering if anyone else out there is getting the static on their recording.  I thought someone said they did but I can't remember where the post was.

Thanks.  John

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
KM his unit has a history of frequent disconnects when docked that leads me to the conclusion that there is a hardware problem that has long been ignored. Sell and upgrade is still my advise. If the budget allows I would go with the X32 rack.

You're right, unfortunately, with hardware issues. Not all are like this, but a good lot of them, in the scheme of things. It's a sad situation.  :(
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. 

The board is a few years old, so not under warranty.

I have had the docked iPad disconnect issue since MF2, never went away, but MF4 is the only one that the control surface has frozen permanently on.

As suggested, I will try making long recordings on both MF3 and MF4 to narrow down the problem scenario, and I will go from there.

Fyi, I have a QuPac that I purchased back in Feb and haven't taken out of the box yet because I wanted to use the DL one last time with all of it's frills.  I plan to rack up the QuPac this summer and start using it ... and maybe I'll try my rack conversion on the DL at that time :)

But again, I am wondering if anyone else out there is getting the static on their recording.  I thought someone said they did but I can't remember where the post was.

Thanks.  John

Hey John,

Glad to hear it's not all bad for you and you've got a brand new mixer to get really acquainted with. Nice!!  :thu: :thu:

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »
OK you already took measures to eliminate the DL I wasn't aware of. I would get that QuPac working ASAP to weed out issues early on (under warranty).

P.S. We'd like to hear about it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 04:39:55 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jkowtko

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
bump.

Just recording another school concert last night.  Got the noise issue again, after ~41 min on one recording, and after ~54 min on the second recording.

it sounds like the gain is being boosted by huge amounts, so is there a high bit in the WAV format related to volume level that is being set suddenly?

Here are the links to a couple of sound clips right around the change from normal to overclipping:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rks1obng46qtcsf/noise1.flac?dl=0
* noise1 shows a transition from normal volume to very high volume, right at the beginning of the clip.  During this time no volume changes were made on the board.  About halfway through the clip there is another transition to extremely high volume and what sounds like static, but might just be excessive clipping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkgoc31kfl7m5u7/noise2.flac?dl=0
* noise2 shows quick transitions back and forth between the very high olume and the excessive clipping volume.  At this time I think one of the PTA parents is making an announcement.  Every time the person speaks the volume jumps to excessive clipping.

Maybe one of you guys with better knowledge of how WAV files are encoded might have an idea of what's happening here.  Again all is fine for the first 40-50 minutes, then this starts happening.  Then when I stop the recording and start a new recording, this "timer" resets and it's another 40-50 minute until the problem reoccurs. 

Thanks.  John

chrisdski

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
I have the same issue. http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1136.0     You can just start record w/o any gain input and you'll eventually get it. Running iPad 3 mf4 and one of the early 1608s. I haven't been able to resolve it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:51:24 PM by chrisdski »