Author Topic: Sending "Wet" FX from XR18 to DAW  (Read 5101 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • “If music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Sending "Wet" FX from XR18 to DAW
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
Well, Mackie has moved to my standby mixer and the X-Air XR18 will be my primary mixer.  When I record a live gig, usually the USB sends (i.e. USB1-5 for vocals) are recorded "Dry".  I'd like to have the ability to record them "Wet" as well passing FX1 thru FX4 down the USB bus to my DAW (Sonar Platinum).  I don't think you can.  If anyone has figured this out, let me know.

Ciao,

Gio
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Sending "Wet" FX from XR18 to DAW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »
Haven't memorized the routing matrix (FX I don't think is a source for USB) but if you don't mind loosing four inputs route (via cables) the 4 aux's to the 4 inputs assuming that's what you want. Just make sure they don't end up in the main mix (major feedback). Slight delay is fixable in any DAW.

P.S. That was fast!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:06:17 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
I see you got your answer from the X-Air forum and the FX is a source for USB as is most everything in the X18/XR18. I only had the XR12 hooked up so none of it showed since the XR12 only records 2 channels (LR) at 16 bit resolution. Of course you could have looked that up in that profusely illustrated Wiki manual  :lol:  Someday they'll even give that group of one a unit so he can write about it. A dead giveaway is the lack of recorder info when not hooked up. I also noticed you are using Dugan's automix for vocals. I don't think it's ready for prime time especially if more than one vocalist is singing. Great for speech, not so for vocals.

Correction on 2 channel input choice. Almost any source and tap point is available for the channels. Setup for that is in the recorder screen. Also well documented in the Wiki  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:39:50 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
Bill, I decided to run it dry to the DAW and use Sonar's FX which are way more extensive.  All is good.  I have to get use to the way Behringer names everything.  A "SHOW" is a folder on a PC or Mac that contains the "SCENES" and "SNAPSHOTS".  Since the iPad and Android really don't have a folder structure (at least one you can get at).  I still don't like the idea that the "Controlling Device" holds the master SHOW/SCENE/SNAPSHOT.  So we still have this Master/Slave mentality.  Oh well ;)
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »
I see you got your answer from the X-Air forum and the FX is a source for USB as is most everything in the X18/XR18. I only had the XR12 hooked up so none of it showed since the XR12 only records 2 channels (LR) at 16 bit resolution. Of course you could have looked that up in that profusely illustrated Wiki manual  :lol:  Someday they'll even give that group of one a unit so he can write about it. A dead giveaway is the lack of recorder info when not hooked up. I also noticed you are using Dugan's automix for vocals. I don't think it's ready for prime time especially if more than one vocalist is singing. Great for speech, not so for vocals.

Correction on 2 channel input choice. Almost any source and tap point is available for the channels. Setup for that is in the recorder screen. Also well documented in the Wiki  :lol:

BTW, thanks for the update on Digan's automix for vocals.  I will disable that.  Glad you mentioned that to me before a live gig  :lol:
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment