Author Topic: Static V Dynamic IP Address  (Read 5884 times)

SGravy

• Youngling
Static V Dynamic IP Address
« on: June 03, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
I'm using an airport express as my wifi router.

At the moment it's a dynamic IP address. What's the advantages of chnging to a static address? How do you guys set up your router?

Thanks

stevegarris

• Knight
Re: Static V Dynamic IP Address
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
After doing some reading and forum searching on the subject, I left mine Dynamic. It is hidden as well. Get the AE up high if there are a lot of cell phones or people in the crowd.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 02:58:23 PM »
I use dynamic, and I've never had a problem with it. I use the Airport Express for most gig, and add an AirPort Extreme for larger shows, to extend the range.
Mackie Junkie

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 04:22:34 PM »
Michael, how do you set that up? I have two expresses, maybe I can do the same?

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
Connect your iPad to the router that will be used for the extension. Then go into the Airport Utility app. In thre, you'll find a setting that you can use to extend a network. Select the primary router. Done. It's really easy.
Mackie Junkie

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 07:13:18 PM »
Connect your iPad to the router that will be used for the extension. Then go into the Airport Utility app. In thre, you'll find a setting that you can use to extend a network. Select the primary router. Done. It's really easy.

What do you mean by extension?

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
The extension (2nd router) will give you extended range so you can be further away from the mixer and not lose signal. Great for outdoor gigs or really huge rooms.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 10:51:32 PM »
Let's say you're doing sound for a large arena. You put your DL on stage, with Airport Exress A attached directly to it. You put Airport Express B at the back of the room, at the FOH location. Airport Express B is connected to Airport Express A, as an extension. You can now wander around the entire arena, and mix from anywhere within.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
Thanks Michael!!!  :thu: :thu:

I was wondering how to do that myself for some venues too! Although for the school I've been doing I have no problems with my one and only AirPort Express. This info is nice to keep in my tool box for a rainy day. Of course if there are too many active cell phones at a big concert dual AE's might be a big boost.  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 01:41:11 AM »
KM how is one more additional AE going to help traffic problems it only adds to them and then there is the delay.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »
I honestly don't know. And how is it working for Michael? I don't have any issues at all with one AE. Can't really afford to have a second one right now anyway.  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
I haven't had any issues with cell phones, or any other wireless devices. I've used the dual-router configuration in a 9000 seat arena, and have been able to go anywhere in the arena and mix, even from the highest loge.  I have 2 Airport Express routers, so I always have a backup. And I have 1 Airport Extreme, that I use for the extension.
Mackie Junkie

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 10:47:10 PM »
Sorry Michael,

My question was directed at WK. I guess if another AE adds to traffic congestion, have you had any issues with that? Obviously from your last post everything is working just fine for you with dual AE's. And that's good to hear. I'm rather a bit of a noob when it comes to networking.  :facepalm:

Thank you for clarifying that for me!  :thu:

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:55 PM »
Well, I'm a bit of a noob, too. But I had read that it was possible, and I emailed Mackie Tech support about it, and they recommended it for larger venues. I also found that it was really simple to set up using the Airport Utility app. I only do this for large venues like the 9000 seat arena. for most venues, I just use a single Airport Express.
Mackie Junkie

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 12:56:47 AM »
I do the same thing as Michael,
I have two Airport Express routers, (one as a backup but NEVER needed it) now I will :)

Simply place the Airport Extreme router somewhere where it won't walk off, and still in range of the Express and it get's the WiFi signal from the Airport Express which is connected via the ethernet connection on the back of the DL32R.

The Extreme then provides significantly improved range.

Like this...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9IcuN_aNI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9IcuN_aNI</a>
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:03:06 AM by dpdan »