Unofficial Mackie User Forums > Speakers

Powered Speaker Help

(1/3) > >>

Keyboard Magic:
I value all your excellent professional experience and opinions here and thus my post on powered speakers.

I’m interested in downsizing my big 12 inch powered cabs for smaller and lighter ones. I’m getting too old to schlepp 60 lb. cabinets everywhere. And have been doing a lot of research so far. I’ve boiled it down to QSC. My other choice was Yamaha but my music store does not sell them at all. I can get a better deal if I deal with them. So I’m leaning towards QSC from all the excellent reviews on them so far.

Does anyone have any impressions on the QSC “K-Series” powered speaker line-up in particular the K10’s, regarding quality, sound and reliability? I know going to a 10 from a 12 is a compromise but weight, power and quality are a big factor.

All opinions greatly accepted!  8)

WK154:
KM the lower you go the heavier it gets. So you need to pick your lower limit and go from there. I do mostly female vocal and the best they can do is 124 Hz. That saves a lot of $ power etc. If I on occasion need lower sound I drag in a Yamaha powered sub or two. I do like the uniform distribution of the CBT series from JBL. It's about the latest (30 yrs. old) in speaker tech other than what Waveion announced at Infocomm16. QSC is a good all-around solution as well. It all depends on what your target market is. Let's also not forget the size of your venues a minor detail  ;).

P.S. I beat hands down a K series solution for this application with the CBT. It ain't cheap and it's not powered.

RoadRanger:
QSC K series is fine. I'd think you'd want to check out Yorkville though considering where you live?
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/377437-

Keyboard Magic:

--- Quote from: RoadRanger on June 13, 2016, 02:18:28 AM ---QSC K series is fine. I'd think you'd want to check out Yorkville though considering where you live?
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/LivePerformanceCategory/acapella-33/377437-

--- End quote ---

Hey RoadRanger!

The speakers I would be trading are Yorkville PS12P powered cabs. I love them but they are way too heavy for my old bones. I bought them from Long and McQuade here in Toronto. I auditioned the 12's and the 10 inch versions before I bought. The PS10Ps have the same DSP as my 12's but sounded horrible in Club Mode (which I never use!) even at low levels. The 12s' sounded much better and I bought them.

The Yorkville PS10Ps are not an option. I'm leaning towards QSC in particular the K10's which obviously can't go as low as a 12. I'm cool with that since I would be using a good sub with them.

I do realize I'm going from a 12 to a 10 inch powered cab just the same and am not worried about that aspect, just the overall quality factor and of course price. ( $970 each here in Toronto)

Your opinion and WK's has made me a little more comfortable with a possible QSC purchase. Thanks to you both!  :thu: :thu:

PS: I did read Al's review on the Elite E10Ps a while back. I actually did have a pair of them before the PS12Ps and loved them, except for the power and thus why I went to the Parasource. If I could get a new pair of Elites I would probably do that, but they're out of stock and may not even be available any more too. Bummer.  :(  Hence my interest in QSC.  ;)

WK154:
Hey KM if you're looking at it from the weight and convenience aspect you may want to consider a non powered solution. Here are the reasons:
Only one cable per unit instead of two. AC cables weigh 6 lbs for 100 ft of 16/3 times 2, another 12 lbs.
K10 is 32 lbs almost half of your present units but a CBT-70J is 21 lbs.
A amp such as the Behringer 3000DSP weighs 6.8 lbs split between two that's 3.4 lbs each. Cost is 2U of rack space. That brings the combo to 24.4 lbs each.
The budget may be the ultimate decider. K10 route is definitely cheaper. K10 ~$700 x 2, CBT plus iNuke 3000DSP ~ $1140 x 2. $1400 vs $2280
In both cases you may still need a sub or two depending on your genre.
You may also want to consider a Turbosound IP1000 ($600) or Ip2000 ($800) or JBL's newest EON One (includes mixer for $1000). Again size of venue is key. I haven't heard either one.
Is this for your personal use or the schools?

P.S. the above is in US $ and availability Canada will change that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version