Author Topic: Major issues with XR18  (Read 12470 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Major issues with XR18
« on: June 15, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
So I used my XR18 for the first time on a gig last Saturday.  Had the XR18 connected via Ethernet to my Apple Airport Express.  Worked flawlessly throughout the night. Packed up everything and the next morning I hooked up everything in the studio (same way as the gig).  Couldn't connect to the console.  Verified that the switch was set to "Ethernet" and still nothing.  Putting the unit in "WiFi Client" or  "AP" mode worked just fine.  The console is not obtaining an IP address from the Airport Express.  I can plug any other device (i.e. MacBook, PC laptop, PC desktop) into the Airport and it obtains an IP address right away.  I even went to the extreme of resetting my Airport Express to factory defaults and setting up again - No Luck.  I have link light and activity on the Ethernet port. I'm an IT Consultant by day with over 43 years in the business.  This should not be "Rocket Science".  My next step is to initialize the XR18 console to see if DHCP comes back.  If not, I'm returning the unit.  The other major issue is with the X-Air app inconsistency among platforms.  I've attached links to screenshots so you can see my issue. So, you are able to store up to 99 snapshots on the console which you should be able to recall from any device.  Works fine on the PC and Android tablet, but inconsistent on the iPad.  I like using the iPad because I like the layout better than the Android. I'm opening a support call with Behringer (Music Group) this morning.  I was really looking forward to keeping this unit since I was able to get an outstanding multi-track recording on Saturday, but I can't deal with issues like this.  Here are the links in the event the screenshots don't attach to this post:

X-Air on PC - https://glcs.syncedtool.com/shares/file/caf0500a09d4c9/
X-Air on Android Tablet - https://glcs.syncedtool.com/shares/file/8bad99cfa92de9/
X-Air on iPad - https://glcs.syncedtool.com/shares/file/98705472e6ff93/
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Major issues with XR18
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »
Gio as I have stated before here and the other forum the current state of the X-Air leaves only four out of the five control surfaces useful (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPad). The iPad is the exclusion. When I toured the Music Group Canoga Park facility I remarked to Michael that I probably won't consider the unit ready for prime time until V2.1 of X-Air. I'm sticking to that. I use the iPad only for test not for any gigs. Against my better judgement I did use the XR18 for one gig controlled by a Android tablet with PC in tow. It worked flawlessly. At the present state of affairs the order of preference for me is PC (Android emulator is available for it as well) then a Android tablet. Forget the iPad until at least the next release. I'm currently putting together a battery operated system for my wife  :) that is using the XR12, CBT 50LA, and Sennheiser wireless, Yamaha keyboard and the essential water bottle holder. Still debating which amp to use leaning towards a iNuke 1000DSP. It all has to fit comfortably into the trunk of a car and of course be on wheels. Weight being the biggest problem for lifting in/out of trunk. A Choir Director's workstation that should be ready in about a week or two (custom cabinet).
The 2 second XR reset would have been my first go-to on your problem. Hope it's not a hosed XR18.
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
I got it to work (XR Reset).  Jeff in support said that they are having issues with the Airport Express.  I still like it because of it's small size.  I setup a reservation (10.0.1.254) on the Airport, I did perform a reset after backing up my shows/scenes.  Jeff said he's been harping on the development team as well to fix X-Air issue on the iPad, but they don't seem to listen to employees.  I'm glad I don't run the team ;D. I agree with you on the order of preference PC being first.  I have to just get use to the Android. A little confusing on the layout. I do like the Midas Pre's. They have a good warmth to them.  I built a nice plexiglass cover for my rack so I can sit my laptop, mouse and pad and Airport all on one surface. Our bass player on Saturday (even after being told to turn down) was pretty hot on stage.  I ran a channel on him, but didn't matter.  His amp was bleeding though all the other 5 vocal mics.  Even post production, muting his channel has no effect.  New band, new gig this Saturday.  Will be a little easier for me.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 06:40:11 PM »
Its "All About That Bass" Sorry couldn't resist. Maybe unplug his amp and hide the power cable when he's not looking? Ugh!  :mrgreen:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:42:11 PM »
I've been using mine with an extra gen 2 Airport Extreme I had laying around. No problems at all. My usual setup is a direct connected HP Spectra laptop with touch screen near the unit, then an iPad for basic control and a 11" Dell 2 n' 1 laptop in tablet mode for backup and mute group access. It's been working pretty well and no connectivity issues. The Dell has a shitty touchscreen in tablet mode even with a stylus. Not very reliable I'm finding.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
Its "All About That Bass" Sorry couldn't resist. Maybe unplug his amp and hide the power cable when he's not looking? Ugh!  :mrgreen:

I might take your advice KM. We're playing with another group that Kepi is the lead vocalist.  I feel bad for that bass player.  Got glaucoma late in his life and is going blind.  He's a great guy and will listen when I ask him to turn down.  Hoping for another great recording experience with the XR18  :mrgreen:
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »
I've been using mine with an extra gen 2 Airport Extreme I had laying around. No problems at all. My usual setup is a direct connected HP Spectra laptop with touch screen near the unit, then an iPad for basic control and a 11" Dell 2 n' 1 laptop in tablet mode for backup and mute group access. It's been working pretty well and no connectivity issues. The Dell has a shitty touchscreen in tablet mode even with a stylus. Not very reliable I'm finding.

Hey Greg, been a while.  I found the issue out and all is working.  I use a HP Envy TouchSmart 17 and have been very happy.  I have a C: and D: SSD drive at 500GB a piece and an E: drive (DVD conversion) that is 2TB.  More than enough storage.  We're a Dell Partner and I hate their notebooks with a passion, so I know what your saying.  I'll tell you, I'd like to start a thread of trading presets, specifically EQ, DYN and Gate for different instruments, specifically Kick, OH, Electric Guitar and Bass.  EQ I've got pretty much down with instruments, but the compression and gating I would be interested on what others are setting in the XR18.  I don't Compress or Gate vocals at all.  Let me know if you have any tricks up your sleeve (and I know you do ;)).

Ciao,

Gio
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
I'll tell you, I'd like to start a thread of trading presets, specifically EQ, DYN and Gate for different instruments, specifically Kick, OH, Electric Guitar and Bass.  EQ I've got pretty much down with instruments, but the compression and gating I would be interested on what others are setting in the XR18.  I don't Compress or Gate vocals at all.  Let me know if you have any tricks up your sleeve (and I know you do ;)).

Well with vocals, I always have a compressor set, even if it's just a limiter mode so if someone suddenly gets loud after being soft all day, they don't hammer the audience. Generally speaking with vocals, I'll run usually between a 3:1 to 4:1 ratio with fast attack and release. I'm not an "over-easy" compressor person. If I get someone who's really dynamic and can really hammer the mic, I may use a higher ratio or add a second compressor on a vocal group to catch the really loud stuff if the mixer supports bus compression. I've never used gating/expansion on vocals in live sound, sometimes in a studio though.

As far as EQing of instruments, I don't have any EQ tricks there. My method is to simply cut the frequencies that are excessive and stepping on other things. I'll also boost as needed too to warm something up or make it pop as needed.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
I'll tell you, I'd like to start a thread of trading presets, specifically EQ, DYN and Gate for different instruments, specifically Kick, OH, Electric Guitar and Bass.  EQ I've got pretty much down with instruments, but the compression and gating I would be interested on what others are setting in the XR18.  I don't Compress or Gate vocals at all.  Let me know if you have any tricks up your sleeve (and I know you do ;)).

Well with vocals, I always have a compressor set, even if it's just a limiter mode so if someone suddenly gets loud after being soft all day, they don't hammer the audience. Generally speaking with vocals, I'll run usually between a 3:1 to 4:1 ratio with fast attack and release. I'm not an "over-easy" compressor person. If I get someone who's really dynamic and can really hammer the mic, I may use a higher ratio or add a second compressor on a vocal group to catch the really loud stuff if the mixer supports bus compression. I've never used gating/expansion on vocals in live sound, sometimes in a studio though.

As far as EQing of instruments, I don't have any EQ tricks there. My method is to simply cut the frequencies that are excessive and stepping on other things. I'll also boost as needed too to warm something up or make it pop as needed.

Thanks for the recommendations.  Busy IT week and haven't had a chance to respond.  I may start with a 4:1 and see where that takes me.  Some of the instruments already have their EQ established (i.e. guitar / keys), but I do eq kick and bass to eliminate competing frequencies.  Going to use my QSC K-Series (including K-Sub) for two wineries this weekend.  I haven't played with the XR18 Aux for the sub, but I may just use the X-overs on the K-Series and hope that is sufficient.  I've done that in the past with no issues.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:07:25 PM »
At my only gig with the XR18 I used a combo of buss and DCA's to get subs and tops balanced. It worked out quite well. It also helps to work with professionals that deal with their own mic eq's all I had to deal with was the room acoustics. That's where tablets come in handy as each one adjusted their own eq's to their liking.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:12:17 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »
At my only gig with the XR18 I used a combo of buss and DCA's to get subs and tops balanced. It worked out quite well. It also helps to work with professionals that deal with their own mic eq's all I had to deal with was the room acoustics. That's where tablets come in handy as each one adjusted their own eq's to their liking.

Hey Bill. So talk to me about the busses.  When I used the Mackie, I use to hook the sub up to Aux 6 and boost the lows and cut the mids and highs (sine wave).  Since I'm using all QSC equipment, I do think their crossover on the sub does a pretty good job.  Set the tops for "Ext Sub" and route the tops to the sub and the sub to the mixer (house).
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »
Jog my memory, I think you had K12's but no sub at the time. So what's the sub, Ksub? By rights the same manufacturer and series should be well matched and you can still bring up the lows , mids or highs if need be. My situation was a little different since I had JBL CBT tops and Yamaha subs. I don't think they collaborate much on crossovers. They did however match up quite well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:50:18 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS