Author Topic: Compression on Vocal Channels  (Read 7173 times)

Harpman

• Knight
  • 的f music be the food of love, play on"
    • Stefani Entertainment
Compression on Vocal Channels
« on: July 10, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
For years of using the Mackie DL1608 before switching to the XR18, I never had feedback issues period.  When I bought the XR18 for the first couple of gigs, everything worked great as expected.  The last 4 gigs have been not as forgiving in regards to feedback. Reviewing the differences between setup on the DL1608 and XR18 is that I turned on light compression and gating. Ever since then it's been a feedback war.  It is definitely related to the vocal channels. Shouldn't have deviated from a working model.  Lesson learned  :-[
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment
"We Bring Good Music to Life"

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Compression on Vocal Channels
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:37:51 AM »
Yah, I only use the comps on vocal channels as peak limiters for the screamers or in case someone pulls out a harmonica or trumpet or ?

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
Is the feedback from mains or monitors? If it's monitors, make sure the sends are pre-channel processing. You don't want compression in the monitors.
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
Is the feedback from mains or monitors? If it's monitors, make sure the sends are pre-channel processing. You don't want compression in the monitors.

95% of the time it's monitors.  Attached is a screenshot of bus sends.  I'm assuming "pre-channel processing" equates to "Pre EQ"?  Right now, they are set to "Post EQ". The other issue I have is that I also sometimes have to EQ the monitors (Behringer B212D's tend to be very low end heavy.  If I set it to "Pre EQ", I lose the ability to EQ the monitors, correct?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:47:18 PM by Harpman »
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:59:07 PM »
Correct as far as the EQ changes on the channel strip. But you can still EQ the aux bus itself which is what I do.

Greg

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:19:50 PM »
Correct as far as the EQ changes on the channel strip. But you can still EQ the aux bus itself which is what I do.

Greg

I did that at the last gig as well.  So one other question Greg.  The default Vocal compression sets the threshold at -25.5 and ratio at 3:1.  I was thinking on setting the threshold to -30 or -35 and setting the ratio to 2:1 or maybe even 1.5:1.  That would probably be pretty light. Knee is at at 2 and MUG is at 6dB by default. Also do you gate at all.  I had that on as well.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Decided to forego using compression on the vocal channels and instead insert the Stereo Combinator multi-band compressor on the Main L/R.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:46:38 AM »
I did that at the last gig as well.  So one other question Greg.  The default Vocal compression sets the threshold at -25.5 and ratio at 3:1.  I was thinking on setting the threshold to -30 or -35 and setting the ratio to 2:1 or maybe even 1.5:1.  That would probably be pretty light. Knee is at at 2 and MUG is at 6dB by default. Also do you gate at all.  I had that on as well.

Any preset threshold would be pretty useless, you'd definitely have to change it to what works. 3:1 is a good starting ratio, but it's very content dependent. Someone with good mic technique that "works" the mic and knows when to back off and get back on it might get away with less. For someone who's dynamic an can get really loud suddenly, maybe double that or even higher if needed. I never gate vocals.

Harpman

• Knight
    • Stefani Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »

Any preset threshold would be pretty useless, you'd definitely have to change it to what works. 3:1 is a good starting ratio, but it's very content dependent. Someone with good mic technique that "works" the mic and knows when to back off and get back on it might get away with less. For someone who's dynamic an can get really loud suddenly, maybe double that or even higher if needed. I never gate vocals.

Greg, I've decided after much debate to leave compression off on vocals.  If I was hosting an open mic that would be one thing, but the bands I'm in or run sound for are all experienced vocalists with very controlled dynamics.  My motto is "If its not broke, don't fix it".  I've run many years without compressing vocals and have really good tight mixes. Makeup gain is the culprit behind feedback and I just don't want to deal with it.
Gio Stefani
Stefani Entertainment