Author Topic: DL32R Help! Power light blinking red!!!  (Read 8142 times)

Davis_multimedia

• Youngling
DL32R Help! Power light blinking red!!!
« on: August 06, 2016, 02:18:32 AM »
Hello all.  I just unboxed a new Mackie DL32R.  I connected the router and the thing started up just fine. Master fader 4.02 says a firmware update is required.  I allowed the unit to do the upgrade, it never seemed to give any final word that it was complete.  Network LED is a solid green, but the power led is blinking red.  I have restarted the mixer and left it powered down for 10 minutes.   Out of desperation I did a force firmware update with the paper clip.   It ran through the firmware update again, the last thing it said was it was rebooting and it might take a few minutes.   Still blinking red.  Need this thing for a gig tomorrow.   HELP!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:44:27 AM by Davis_multimedia »

Wynnd

• Master
Re: DL32R Help! Power light blinking red!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:49:05 AM »
Sounds like you're doing the right thing.  What you might also try is a different version of Master Fader.  I think MF 3.x works with the DL32r too.  The firmware update can take a bit of time.  15 minutes?  The other option is to try downloading Master Fader again.  You might have a corrupted download.  And last but not least, where are you working?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:45 AM »
if the power LED is red or blinking red it is because the AC line voltage is dangerously high.
This happended to me once, and in fact it may blink red if the voltage is too low also, I'm just not positive about that though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:34:51 AM by dpdan »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:56:50 PM »
This is all I could find on the power LED blinking red in Appendix C of the DL32 PDF manual:

Red, rapid flashing? "Error, some problem with the hardware processing or mixing. Turn the mixer off, wait 30 secs, then power back up. Contact technical support if this issue persists"

Not very enlightening (no pun intended) is it? Maybe tech support can be more forthcoming on your issue than the info in the manual?  ::)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
maybe my information that I just posted is incorrect, because Keyboard Majic's post is correct.

When I experienced a solid red power LED on my DL32R the AC line voltage was about 126 volts if I recall. 
That's when I assumed it was letting me know that the voltage was outside the safe range.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:44:00 PM by dpdan »

Davis_multimedia

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:20:35 AM »
Well thank you all for weighing in.  Yes Keyboard Magic, we read the same thing in the book you did, but contacting Mackie at 8PM on Friday night regarding your Saturday gig is not an option.   You would think they would have tech support people there on weekends.  Many of their products are used by entertainment on Friday & Saturdays & houses of worship on Sunday. 

dpdan, we're using proper power conditioning, as always.  I show I clean 120 in.  Thanks,

wynnd yes we tried to go back to master fader 3, to no avail.  It just keeps blinking!  But Thanks!

We tried the force firmware update 12 times. 

In the end we ran to Guitar Center and picked up a new unit.  We needed it for a gig, no choice.  This unit behaved as expected.   
Started up, did the firmware update... boom green light.  Ready to go and btw this thing is a beast!   It sounds great.  We love it

I had to return the other unit (it was less than 1 week old) as a defect and Sam Ash did the right thing and gave me a full refund, no restock as it is defective and they did not have another one in the state.

Whatever Mackie might tell you to do over the phone should be in the manuals. The instructions are written for people with little to no experience.  We are advanced users but had no way to resolve our issue on a weekend.   BUT we still like the unit and we like Mackie.

If anyone does know how to fix it please let us know just for the hell of it!

Thank you all!

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:41 AM »
Glad things worked out for you.  Every company has occasional bad units.  Swapping out was the right thing to do.

Davis_multimedia

• Youngling
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 04:30:19 AM »
yes.  best we can figure the thing got hung up during the firmware upgrade, and just could not reboot.
Have had good luck with Mackie over the years... 1 bad unit not killing the rep for me.
I really like it (now that I have one that works!)

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:29 AM »
I've been using my DL1608 for nearly 3 years now.  The only thing I hate is global phantom power.  (Why not just half the channels?)  I can live with the reverbs and delays.  I've enjoyed all the software upgrades.  It's much better with them.  Personally, I hope to never need more than 16 channels.  (I've got an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire recording mixer that I use as a backup.  So far I haven't needed it.)  I would like it if Mackie were to build a 16 channel version of the DL32r.   There's a lot of good there.

Davis_multimedia

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
the DL32 has individual channel control over phantom power... Are you using Master fader 4?
It might be time for an app & firmware upgrade.  16ch is good, 32 even better.   I find myself using the extra channels in many convenient ways.. channels are like bullets...  better have more than you need than less.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:47:39 AM by Davis_multimedia »

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
I using the latest Master Fader.  From what I understand I might have to upgrade my ipads for the next version of Master Fader or ios.  (ipad2 and two ipad minis)  we shall see.   As far as 16 channels go, generally I use 8 or 12.  Can't remember the last time I used all 16 channels.  (Pretty rare.)  Even in the 6 piece band, 16 channels should be enough.  5 vocals, bass, guitar, keyboard, keyboard, organ, leaving 6 channels for the drums.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »
I've been using my DL1608 for nearly 3 years now.  The only thing I hate is global phantom power.  (Why not just half the channels?)
Yup, that bites. I use a two channel phantom power box with mine. I suppose as mine is out of warranty now it would be relatively easy to mod it to be only half :) . My XR12 has only 4 (individually switchable :) ) phantom power channels which is fine so far...
I would like it if Mackie were to build a 16 channel version of the DL32r.   There's a lot of good there.
Yes, and/or a 20-24 channel version - in my case I really need a mixer that is 2U and shallow. I'm presently making do with a Behringer XR12 - I'd love to replace that with something Mackie :) .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 04:01:07 PM by RoadRanger »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
a two space DL16R that is considerably more shallow would be incredible for so many people and would be the replacement in the Mackie DL line for the 1608. 
Personally I love the DL32R.

Davis_multimedia

• Youngling
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »
I agree... the 32 needs a deep rack case.   a 2 space shallow unit would be a nice addition to the family.
32 channels are needed for me, I have 9 channels on the drums alone, a violin, bass, guitar, piano and 8 vocalists.