Author Topic: Freeplay  (Read 2058 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Freeplay
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:06:58 AM »
I had one of those insane senior moments and picked up a Mackie Freeplay box. Reason, it should be simple to operate for other wise technically challenged women. Well everything almost worked as advertised except for the ridiculously spec'd 150 watt RMS output power. At best it could keep up with a 20 watt RMS dual channel Lepai and two 50 watt RMS X80T Proel speakers (that's 40 watts RMS max). I later found this review with a Roland KC-110 
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z274UPmM3rQ 
Or for a $100 more for this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rZnAM1XVU
Reading the fine print on the Freeplay spec it notes that it is a calculated value. Somebody at Mackie needs to learn to use their test equipment and measure it instead or are they to embarrassed to list it?. For the intended use it barely makes it. The Bluetooth link seems to hang in there but distance I used it was in the 20-30 ft range at most. The big problem with the Bluetooth is the single link at a time which means that music that you play back must be on the same iPhone etc. as the control software unless you want to loose control of the Freeplay. This is not good unless you are near the manual volume control. Mackie is usually good about their spec sheets but this one get a "F". No max input on the mic/line input, really! No input max of any kind. I didn't know that the Audio Industry standardized these. Then there is that mysterious feedback destroyer with no information on the number of filters available or any specs such as Q etc. . It only uses what it has available (?) and then you're out of luck. The only way at that point is to turn the feedback circuit off and then on again. A little brain dead since it also looses all settings. Feedback City if it even works!
So is "cool" as Piano Man states useful enough to invest in? I'm currently looking at Behringer's version the MPA40BT with a ULM202USB for $179 + $149 ($328 total) and get two wireless mics plus most of Freeplay. Which has more value for the $$ ? For this app the Behringer makes more sense. Yes, my Freeplay will hit the chopping block soon after I hear a B..... Anyone interested (battery included).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:00:36 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
Re: Freeplay
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:15:35 AM »
I've been using an older version of Carvin's portable pa box for 10 years. It has worked flawlessly and has saved the day more times than I can remember. Swiss army knife type of box. Decent sound quality. Loud. Musical. Portable party machine. The new model packs bluetooth and a built in wireless unit.

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600

No remote control software unfortunately, but my wife and kids have even figured it out!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Yorgaki1 I'm sure that this unit would be overkill for my application not to mention twice the price. It's also too large.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:01:44 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
Another Freeplay annoyance is that the stereo input overrides the Bluetooth input which means you can't have a CD player or other wired device at the ready if you're also using Bluetooth. Plug and un-plug (Mackie's version of plug and play  :) ) the wired aux in, how convenient  ::). The Behringer MPA40BT merges the two inputs (Wired/Bluetooth). Somebody had their thinking cap on at B..... It would have taken very little for Mackie to accomplish that.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:23:57 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS